caliber 1861 hacking seconds question

My question is for a 3750 speedy pro with a 1861 movement. If I put some backwards pressure on the crown the running seconds stops moving. Is it ok to use that to hack the seconds or can that potentially damage the movement?

As long as the seconds only stops it's OK.
If it starts to run backwards it can cause problems, possibly chipping the pallets jewels.

Like 1
As long as the seconds only stops it's OK.
If it starts to run backwards it can cause problems, possibly chipping the pallets jewels.

Wait, you mean if the seconds hand starts running backwards?

Like 1
Wait, you mean if the seconds hand starts running backwards?
Correct. One of my Speedmasters starts to run backwards when I try to back hack it at full wind. If I let it run down a little, it back hacks just fine.
As long as the watch doesn’t run backwards, there’s no harm in back hacking.

If it does hack at full wind, just let it run down a bit.

Like 2
Correct. One of my Speedmasters starts to run backwards when I try to back hack it at full wind. If I let it run down a little, it back hacks just fine.

You're not talking about the hands moving backwards though, you're talking about the actual seconds hand running backwards... right?

There's a time travel meme in here somewhere

Like 1
you're talking about the actual seconds hand running backwards... right?
Correct. Instead of “hacking” it will begin ticking backwards.

Like 1
As I think I posted before, the manual for my 1861 states that it is OK to hack as described. However, a more recent manual removed all reference to this method, so read into that what you will. I’ve done it for years with no issues so as long as you’re careful…

Like 1
And yes, you’re better off doing it when the power reserve is low.

Like 1
And yes, you’re better off doing it when the power reserve is low.
Exactly, if you need to set the time by hacking the watch do it with little power in the mainspring, then wind it up fully.

Like 1