Forums Latest Members

Buying omega tax free in Europe (Post brexit)

1. ortman Aug 6, 2022

Hi all. I’m a UK resident but visiting my family in france. Popped into my local Oméga boutique and was convinced to buy a piece. The sales representative said it’s great because I can get this tax free (12% off for Omega).

after reading online , It would seem that returning to the UK I would need to declare the goods )over my £390 allowance) and pay 20% VAT. This would mean I would pay considerably more upon my return to the Uk rather than buying it there.

hmrc are no help and have told me to look online.. Omega have no info and nothing online .

Any help/ experiences would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

OC

2. UKspeedy72 Aug 6, 2022

I would imagine that if you wore it home and posted yourself the paperwork it would be pretty hard to catch you. That would be illegal though, don’t do that, nobody does such things.

Dries, NotAClue and watchyouwant like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 6, 2022

At these moments, I’d ask myself, “What would Boris Johnson do? “.

Dries, NotAClue, Peemacgee and 9 others like this.
  4. SoyuzPilot Aug 6, 2022

As I understand things, you'd have to use a tax free scheme that ensures you export the watch, in order to get tax-free, or the boutique needs to ship it to you in the UK. The schemes are just like the old days where you stand in line at the customs desk as you leave the country and have them stamp your form after seeing the goods. Things have moved on and are electronic now, at least with Global Blue, and a lot quicker at the airport and for receiving funds. They even have an app. But it does sit there on the various systems...

5. John Sheridan Aug 6, 2022

6. PandaSPUR Aug 6, 2022

That is how you get the tax charged by the store refunded to you, yep.
    But the OP's problem is declaring the purchase at his home country upon return.

TBH in the US, even when I have declared stuff, none of the customs agents at the airport care lol.
    Last time I did this was when I came back from Sweden with 4-5k of random stuff (clothing, accessories, etc.).
    I declared on the form and then told the agent when I got up to the little booth, they just asked if it was for personal use, I said yes, and they just waved me through. Pretty sure thats not how it works but I wasn't gonna complain lol.

EDIT: actually, most recently was coming back from Italy with even more. The agent didnt even ask any questions.

7. BarbVl Aug 6, 2022

I don't think it will be problem to buy a watch in France and to wear it at your wrist. I do not think anyone will put you to pay taxes as you travel back home..

8. Nipson Aug 7, 2022

I understood that even if Brexit happened and UK is not part of EU anymore, there is no tax refund possible between these 2. They maintained the free exchange agreements.

9. ortman Aug 7, 2022

Thanks for all the info. I may have to get refund and « forget » to declare it to UK customs …

Larry S likes this.
  10. lillatroll Aug 7, 2022

Just a word of caution. If your watch was lost , or stolen from your home, it might not be covered on the insurance if the goods are not declared on entry to the country .
    I know this is the case in Norway because I recently read an article about this actual situation.

Of course this might not be the same in. the UK, but worth looking into.

UKspeedy72 and Nipson like this.
  11. Nipson Aug 7, 2022

Here is the answer i got when i asked to a watch dealer i used to buy from in London. It seems that from UK to EU there is no tax refund anymore.
    Screenshot_20220807_140044_com.microsoft.office.outlook.jpg

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 7, 2022

I would not advertise illegal activity on the forum. You never know who is reading.
    gatorcpa

dsio likes this.