Forums Latest Members

Advice for buying a Speedy Pro in Europe

1. GoneMissed Aug 20, 2017

G'day all,

First post here, looking forward to learning more about Omegas and finding out what this place is all about! :)

Heading to Europe for a holiday next year and trying to ascertain the cheapest way to get a Speedy Pro from an AD. I'm leaving Australia via Dubai, will be going to the UK, France, Italy, Belgium, Scandinavia, Austria, Germany & Switzerland. I'll be returning via Doha.

I can buy in Australia and can claim sales tax (GST, 10%) when I leave the country. I have heard you can do similar and Europe, and I imagine prices are much cheaper there to begin with.

Would warmly appreciate any advice from folks who have gone though a similar experience or perhaps any Europeans here who can advise how much a Speedy Pro cost from an AD, and whether or not sales tax can be refunded to foreigners when exiting the country. Or is purchasing duty-free at Dubai or Doha's airports any cheaper?

Cheers!
    Joe

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2017

You might find you can get some good deals in the UK on watches priced before the British Pound went down the toilet, AUD is pretty strong at the moment so that could work in your favour too.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 20, 2017

Buying in a duty free scenario saves the VAT.

You can buy and then claim the VAT back at the airport but when you hand your receipt you never get the full %.

Few Aussies can get you one for a good price before you go saves you lugging the big box around. ( the box is that big you could use it as a carry on bag )
    Got a good deal for a guy at work from @ashleysteadman

4. Timmert Aug 20, 2017

I agree. On items like this, they typically keep their prices fairly equal around the world, regardless of place of manufacture, etc.
    Hence, your best bet would be to look at the most favourable exchange rate for you.

In my experience "Duty free" airport shopping rarely pays off, as the jewellers at airports just use the same price point as other stores in the country, increasing their profits since they're not charging taxes.

5. hchj Aug 20, 2017

ADs near touristy spots are less likely to discount... seems you are going to lots of places, i recommend trying your luck in smaller cities/towns... fewer tourists better price :) I bought an Omega in Lyon, got 20% off before claiming the VAT

6. GoneMissed Aug 21, 2017

Thanks everyone, appreciate you taking a moment to respond.

I guess at this stage it is just about doing some maths to ascertain how local prices stack up to European local prices. I note also VAT is higher over there as opposed to our 10% GST. Really good to know that hchj got 20% off before VAT in Lyon.

7. Timmert Aug 21, 2017

Good point.
    VAT on items like this is 21% in The Netherlands. I have no idea about those VAT return policies though.

8. afnios1 Aug 21, 2017

no tax free if an used watch buy

9. CTS-V Aug 21, 2017

Italy is 22% VAT....beware.....

10. mikechi22 Aug 21, 2017

I would tell you that if you buy in England and want to claim your VAT back at Heathrow, add two hours to your arrival time at the airport! I was there in early October last year, 9 pm for a midnight flight and I barely made it to my gate on time. It is a convoluted and maddeningly slow operation there. Also, I had to relinquish part of my refund because I had to jump the regular line for expedited service; it was that or give up the refund entirely. Because I was looking for a refund on two wedding rings too, there was an additional 1000m walk and queue. I'm sure this pleasure awaits a watch buyer as well. Paris, by contrast, couldn't have been simpler or more quick. Go to Lyon to buy!

11. mikechi22 Aug 21, 2017

And one more Heathrow caveat: we almost got rejected on our ring refund because we wore them and had packed the Tiffany boxes in our checked baggage. Not an edifying moment in my personal travel history there, you may have gathered. So be prepared to lug that big Speedy box aboard!