Buying from Private seller on Chrono24

Me neither, but it is, just checked, with that in mind I’d be inclined to to steer clear of private sellers that don’t use the escrow service

I have sold through C24.

There is risk to any purchase not made in person. In my mind, C24 is less risky than most, aside from OF. But even OF has buyers with no history who join only to connect with a seller. I have had that happen a couple timed and it worked out.

A good method for reducing risk is to communicate with the seller and try to determine if they are trustworthy. It's not fool proof, as a swindler is also a good lier. But I don't think most people are master criminals. Find out their history with the watch. Are they a collector or just found the watch in a garage sale? Then it's up to you to determine if they are worth the risk.

I would not buy from a seller on C24 who won’t use the escrow service. That’s key to C24’s buyer protection.

Me too! Don t buy! Would be interesting to ask C24!

Happy to see you changed your mind.👍

Gotta read the listing.....and remember that the tiny print always cancels out the big print in a contract.

Judging from reactions here, it looks like Chrono24 will not help the buyer in the case of private sale without escrow.
In view the seller accepts Paypal (let's assume that it's not the Paypal F&F payment), would their Purchase Protection Protection be sufficient protection?

Be sure to fund your PP payment with a credit card for an extra layer of protection.

Be sure to fund your PP payment with a credit card for an extra layer of protection.

This.
And: Sellers from Indo have not many platforms for selling vintage. A $ 1000 scam on Chrono 24 will be his last sale there. So, ...

Here's an update of this transaction.
I corresponded several times with the seller. He is in fact a dealer in Indonesia (e.g. Instagram). He appears to deal mostly at the local or regional level. The Omega Constellation I was interested would be in the upper tier of his watch offerings. I asked for a picture of the movement. I also asked him to send a short video of him setting the watch at a time I specified (i.e. 8:20). This way I could see that 1) the watch was real, 2) he had it, and 3) it was in the condition he described. The video came within the hour.

We negotiated a price and I paid using Paypal (regular "merchant" Paypal, not "Friends and Family"). I used my credit card for payment. I figured I have some protection if I don't receive the watch that was shown.

Fast forward one week (today), I received the watch via DHL. It's exactly as I expected it. Nice watch. Satisfied.

Here's a seller's picture of the watch: it's an ultra-thin (cal. 712) Constellation (157.0001) with the blue textured dial.

Seller.jpeg
Edited:

C24 is just a marketplace. Both sellers and fraudsters can operate there.
Treat with extreme caution.

Note that a "Trusted seller" is a seller that has paid for the "Trusted seller" moniker and does not have any unresolved complaints with the C24 team.

Edit:
I also avoid buy vintage watches from countries with high humidity. It makes the wearer's sweat and the sweat attacks and corrodes the seals.

That however is a very attractive Connie. I've never seen that dial before.