Forums Latest Members

Buying a high end watch sight unseen - fair request?

1. Vizard Nov 1, 2021

I am negotiating to buy a Patek 5127 with a Florida dealer. I am in the UK. It has no box or papers, but has an extract from the archive.

There is no evidence of any servicing.

In light of this, I have asked the dealer if he would send me a time grapher video. He said yes and then didn't. So I reminded him. His response: "Confirm that you're prepared to pay my price and I will send more info."

Of course, he doesn't know me from Adam and I could be a messer. But at the same time, there needs to be a bit of international give and take where there is a sight-unseen purchase of a $20k watch, doesn't there?

What do you think?

2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 1, 2021

Walk.

Archer, ahartfie, Davidt and 11 others like this.
  3. Vizard Nov 1, 2021

You think? It seems to be getting a lot of views on Chrono24. Is it just possible that he has had endless jokers bidding him in the nether regions?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2021

There isn’t a queue around the block for a 5127, it’s a watch in large supply that doesn’t have a cult following so you can afford to be choosy here

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 1, 2021

Man, you must have pissed the dealer off already. (Somehow!)

:)

Lucasssssss likes this.
  6. Vizard Nov 1, 2021

It's a 5127J. There are none for sale in the UK. 4 in the US. So not exactly loads about.

7. Vizard Nov 1, 2021

I don't see how I could have. I have been charm incarnate. Perhaps an Englishman bit him when he was a baby or treated his mother badly or something.

Perhaps I should send a photo to prove I am not Hugh Grant.

ahartfie, Servius, Paedipod and 4 others like this.
  8. jud Nov 1, 2021

I agree with @dsio

I hate to be that guy, but buy the seller. If you are not comfortable with how you are treated now, imagine how you will be treated once they have your money. I have purchased a Patek 5205g and a 5170g and was treated extremely well by each dealer. This is a luxury item and I feel that you should be treated like you are purchasing a luxury item even if it used.

I have taken in north of $150K in watches to my "local" Patek dealer and am continually treated like sh!t. I use the Patek AD in Florida now.

9. Evitzee Nov 1, 2021

Any pre-owned watch that is older than its original warranty is most likely going to need a service, figure that into the price you are being charged. And I always question a recent watch like a Patek Philippe with no box or papers.

10. jud Nov 1, 2021

Take a look at the black 5127g. Amazing. It is on my short list.

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 1, 2021

I am sure you were.
    My jibe was aimed at the (oversensitive) dealer, not you

12. Vizard Nov 1, 2021

There is a 5127G in the UK for £15250. That hasn't got a box and papers either.

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 1, 2021

Gee, I thought you had to be at a PP dealer to be spoken to this way. Guess the attitude impacts the pre-owned market too. "Buh By" would be my response.

Fish70 likes this.
  14. Vizard Nov 1, 2021

FL you say. How far are you from Aventura? You could go inspect the watch for me, or otherwise kick the arsey dealer in the shins. ;)

15. cvalue13 Nov 1, 2021

Viewed charitably, this dealer is ham-fistedly saying “I’m happy to jump through a lot of hoops if, when it all checks out, you’re willing to pay my asking price; but if you’re about to make me jump through hoops then low-ball me…”

Perhaps, too, it is possible there is some dash of language barrier thrown in the mix, frustrating any subtlety or tact in messaging?

In contrast to this charitable view…

16. Jruk1981 Nov 1, 2021

Being in the UK, I would agree with you. I not sure why he wouldn’t be forthcoming with the information in light of the fact there is limited (no)history with the watch. If his response is as blunt as you suggest that would make me walk. However could it just be a written confirmation, yes I am willing to purchase the watch at £x subject to receiving the video?

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2021

There are two Florida that jump to mind btw from this thread, won’t mention the two but they don’t have much patience

18. Vizard Nov 1, 2021

Have either of your two got a 5127J for sale? If so, you've hit the nail on the head.

TBH I am in two minds whether to just offer what I intended anyway, pay for part of it on card and see what shows up.

Alternatively, as has been recommended, walk. Or perhaps I may break into a gentle jog.

19. Braindrain Nov 1, 2021

I'd walk. This is a $20K watch, not a $200 watch.

Mind you, his response tells me he doesn't own a timegrapher so probably has to head down to his local watchmaker (or something) to get one. Chances are, he'd probably have to pay for it (some the watchmaker knows he's a dealer and will want compensation).

Most private collectors are more than happy. Most (but not all) dealers are loathe to spend even an extra dollar.

20. cvalue13 Nov 1, 2021

Edited by a mod Nov 1, 2021