Forums Latest Members

Online dealers for high end watches

1. fiirmoth Oct 22, 2017

Hello all, fairly new member here. Came to the forums to learn what I could about vintage Omega's before buying one. Thank you to everyone who has been teaching me what to look for. Currently own a Rolex SS which was my grail watch(I am not a rich guy, and its what my Grandad wore his whole life-I know its not a grail piece for a lot of people but it was for me) As I have watched the sale forums for a good Vintage Omega I have noticed some dealers offering amazing prices on new watches. I have never considered purchasing online due to fakes etc. but some of these dealers seem to have great feedback and amazing forum support. MDGRWL for instance is pretty much offering 25% off retail making some watches seem very affordable compared to a brick and mortar. So my ask is this: Are these dealers safe? Has anyone else here dealt with one from the forum? How do I verify that what I am getting is genuine? I am eyeing a Breitling right now. If I take it to my local brick and mortar can they verify 100% its real? I just feel like the fakes are so good these days coming with papers and boxes and everything they should. Its a lot of money to spend to worry about something being genuine so whatever feedback you can offer would be great!! Thanks so much and thank you all for having a great forum!!

sevenhelmet likes this.
  2. mikechi22 Oct 22, 2017

I haven’t been a member here for very long, but I think those regular sellers you see on the “sale” page are about as legit as they come! First, when you see the profiles page, you can get a sense very quickly that they have many, many happy customers. Second, if they ever burned someone, that news would spread in here like, um, wildfire! I have to believe that those sellers live and die on their reputation and integrity and they’re not going to throw that away to make a quick one-time sale. When I decide I’m finally going to break down and get a Speedmaster, it’ll almost certainly be from one of them! I wouldn’t worry if I were you!

3. fiirmoth Oct 22, 2017

Thank you for the feedback and advice, Mike!!

mikechi22 likes this.
  4. lillatroll Oct 22, 2017

As mikechi22 says, reputation is everything here and very little gets past the radar. Read the seller profile feedback and you will get a good idea of who you can trust.

fiirmoth likes this.
  5. sevenhelmet Oct 22, 2017

You're already doing better than I was. I had just bought my 3rd Omega on grey market before I joined. I was fairly lucky in my purchases, but I wouldn't recommend it as a course of action. The sellers on here are great, and I've heard good things about Topper Jewelers as well. Finally, if you live near a reasonably-sized city, many brick and mortar authorized dealers- or ADs in forum parlance- do offer some surprising discounts. It's worth asking about some of them, especially if they are known to the forum.

Finally, you should never have to apologize for your choice of grail watch! :)

6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 27, 2017

High end watch dealers with a great reputation are the way-to-go... better pay extra without the hassle & bassle buying via online auctions :D

7. Shailor Oct 27, 2017

Many of the sellers on this site are trustworthy. They can even find the watch you're looking for if you pm them. There's one seller offering a brand new piece for about $200.00 less than an online seller. And his comes with a warranty card, something you don't get from the online dealer. Welcome and good luck!

8. Honza Oct 27, 2017

Will have to look on the seller profile. Thank you for explaining.