Bumper movement water damage?

I've been driving myself mad looking through the many examples of bumper seamasters and think I finally found one I find acceptable BUT - what's up with this movement? Looks messier than other's I've seen? Is this water damage?

That discoloration is nothing to worry about necessarily IMO. Of course, all of these movements are old, so you really can't judge them from a photo. Always assume they will need servicing.

I agree with Dan. Frequently, watchmakers use the wrong cleaning solution and discolor or actually remove the copper plating. Not a major concern.

I would be more concerned by why there doesn't appear to be a steel pivot in the central ruby bearing for the rotor.

I would be more concerned by why there doesn't appear to be a steel pivot in the central ruby bearing for the rotor.

Picture is photoshopped, I guess. Ruby in the shadow?

Water damage is usually more immediately evident with RUST showing on the steel parts. A bit of tarnish is not a concern. But if the rotor post is broken, that is a cause for concern.

Frequently, watchmakers use the wrong cleaning solution and discolor or actually remove the copper plating.

This is a watch forum myth...

That is the source. What is the reality?

The cleaning solutions used have nothing to do with this. No commercial cleaning solution will damage the plating, so suggesting there is a "wrong" or "right" cleaning solution for cleaning these parts is just not true. It's not like Omega approves a cleaning solution specifically for these calibers - they just use the same solutions that most companies use, and that Omega uses for all their watches.

The fact is, this plating just wasn't done very well to begin with - watchmakers who work on vintage Omega know this well, the plating comes off very easily. If there's anything contributing to the plating coming off with respect to cleaning, it would be related to using ultrasonic - either too strong or for too long. But even when cleaned in a regular agitation cleaning machine with no ultrasonic, the plating will sometimes flake off on these movements.

The watch in question has very little in the way of plating missing, just some on the rotor and that could be from wear.