Forums Latest Members
  1. Pjroo33 Jan 22, 2019

Recently purchased a 1950’s Seamaster 354. Wondering if you would have any concern over the condition of the movement. The listing had no photos of the movement however the dial and case look good. It seems to be keeping good time and I’m currently checking the power reserve. Think it might just need a good servicing? This is my first vintage and I’m wondering what you all think. Does this appear to be water damage? If so, would a service improve the look of the movement?

Thanks!!

AD470DA3-018E-4E5E-939A-1AE0BAAE6F6C.jpeg 0478FC8D-1E67-425E-9FFB-EE17213BD152.jpeg
    Edited Jan 22, 2019
  2. Tophership Jan 22, 2019

I'm for sure no expert but this definitely looks like a moderate amount of water damage. Without a doubt a good servicing would give it a new breathe of life. The case looks like it has some pitting too, which seems significant but again, I'm definitely no expert. Do you have any shots of the dial? If you don't mind me asking, what did it set you back?

3. Pjroo33 Jan 22, 2019

I was hoping this isn’t water damage but I’m not sure what else it could be. Think a service would improve the look of the movement? It set me back a little over $700. I bought it from a well respected member of the forums and I don’t think he was trying to be misleading in any way.

4. Tophership Jan 22, 2019

As long as it was a fair representation of the condition of the watch I can understand it being sold. Depending on the rarity of the piece $700 could be totally justified even with water damage. Just my $.02 on the matter, it could also run like a dream for the next 5 years and never give you an issues.

5. Pjroo33 Jan 22, 2019

I just love the look of the beefy lugs!

A949D6C1-E54D-46B0-986D-FC9C8E19CA3A.jpeg BA03DDDD-1E54-458C-A3BD-0E7AA5E35693.jpeg
    fbf likes this.
  6. Lbreak Jan 23, 2019

It looks like water damage to me due to the shapes of the stain... hmm no matter what, that movement certainly need a service, please do so soon if you intent to keep this watch

7. snunez Jan 23, 2019

Say, does anyone know if that is the kind of pitting a few of the more knowledgeable folks are referring to in some of the other water resistance threads? I think I can see (clearly!) now why that would cause a problem with even the best gasket and compression.

8. Pjroo33 Jan 23, 2019

The pitting has me concerned. Not sure if this is something that can be improved with a service?

9. snunez Jan 23, 2019

I'm not an expert, but to smooth that surface you either need to grind away the pitting, which would likely change the geometry of other things, or fill in the pits with some kind of metal and sand it down, likely costing more than the case is worth.

10. Pjroo33 Jan 23, 2019

I guess I can live with the pitting, it’s just the condition of the dial that really bugs me. The power reserve appears to be right around 36.5 hrs. Would that be considered acceptable?

11. François Pépin Jan 23, 2019

Not sure wether it is water damage or only a tired movement. But with a service it will improve whatever the reason of the discoloration. The steal parts do not seem rusted, which is important.

Without a proper service, there is no real point to discuss the precise power reserve of your watch. But 36h seems acceptable.

12. ATracyWatches Jan 23, 2019

Based on the condition of the case it could definitely be water damage. There seems to be no rust on the steel components, which as already stated is a good thing. I have a vintage omega in right now which exhibits rust and the damage can clearly be seen on the steel components. 3D64B550-D2A4-4395-A2BD-6AAE1FEFE9DA.jpeg 894B5766-80D4-4604-B4FF-B46BE4C1EBE3.jpeg

It can also be seen on the below picture on the dial side of the movement. E6734862-97E9-4635-B64E-DB4D3B67BE83.jpeg

Most of this damage can be removed from the plates, plus the steel components but it can be very labour intensive.

The fact that your example has no presence of rust on the steel parts is a good sign and makes for an easier restoration.

2DE79FF0-EBAF-44B0-A0C2-AE21CB313213.jpeg
  13. Pjroo33 Jan 24, 2019

Thanks for the detailed response. I’m wondering if a service would outweigh the value of this watch. I was surprised when I saw the movement as the listing showed no photos. I expected something cleaner.

14. Pjroo33 Jan 24, 2019

Is this a watch the vast majority would return based on the condition of the movement? This is my first vintage and I’m not sure how I feel at this point. I guess disappointed.

15. ATracyWatches Jan 24, 2019

That movement has been in the watch for many decades of faithful service. I doubt the seller was trying to pull the wool over your eyes. I have seen much worse watches in my time and I think returning it based on that would be a bit of a stretch. Whenever you purchase a vintage watch you need to go in prepared to pay for an overhaul to get it in working condition. These older Omega watches are rarely sold in tip-top mechanical condition.

16. Pjroo33 Jan 24, 2019

Yeah - I don’t think the seller was trying to be misleading in any way. The watch was considered “excellent” as described by the seller. I think the dial and case are in great condition, I was just a little surprised by the movement.

I’ve sent photos to my local watchmaker and he gave me a preliminary estimate of $600 for a service. Said the parts are obsolete. Thought that seemed quite high.

17. ATracyWatches Jan 24, 2019

I can't comment on the pricing of another watchmaker, but the price of any watch restoration or repair does depend on what the watch needs. A watch like that would definitely need a new mainspring, the bridges need to be attended to as well. I would assume it needs several pivots refinishing in the movement too.

I don't think the quote is astronomical in any way. I am sure you could find much cheaper quotes and more expensive ones too. Just make sure the work is done correctly. I recently saw a watch that had been to two previous watchmaker's in the past 12 months or so and the watch yet again needed another service.

I see watches on a weekly basis that have been incorrectly repaired in the past and the cost ends up being far higher in the long run than paying a little more upfront and ensuring the work is done correctly.

18. ChrisN Jan 24, 2019

Did you buy it from a private seller or from a dealer? If it's a dealer and they have a return policy, are you still within that? Try reaching out as they might be open to a discussion so that there is never any question over their reputation. I would say that if it's a dealer, I'd be very surprised that they didn't open the case.

It's unusual if it was sold here that there was no movement photo but, as you bought it without one, it's hard to make any case to return it unless you are within a return period for buyers remorse.

Is the $600 including all parts? You could sink $600 into this watch but at the end, you won't have a $1300+ watch I'm afraid. Check, as if it's $600 just for the work, you could end up with another few hundred in parts.

Cheers, Chris

19. Pjroo33 Jan 24, 2019

Chris - I am still within the window to return the watch. I have 30 days and it was purchased about 10 days ago. This is a respected dealer that sells on all of the forums as well. The watch was listed and the seller knew the serial number so the back was off at some point. I guess the condition is why they chose not to show photos of the movement.

20. ChrisN Jan 24, 2019

Well, you're clearly not happy and if the return policy is "for any reason you choose" then I would just return it but, a couple of points to bear in mind:

Make sure in the future that you see a movement photo.
    Budget for a service unless there is real proof of a service, regardless of what the seller says.

The old 330 series bumpers can cost a lot to put right as they are so old and parts are hard to come by (and expensive) - might be an idea to look at something from the sixties. The 501 (late fifties) that @ATracyWatches is showing above is not the worst I've seen either but it's bad enough that I wouldn't buy something like that and would probably be charging extra to service it.

Good luck, Chris