Forums Latest Members

Broken spring bar end stuck in lug hole...

1. sonicosa Apr 24, 2020

I got my order from CNS today and excitedly sat down for some strap changes. My excitement quickly turned to mild woe when I noticed this:

1DEDFE3D-D827-4F7C-9515-88347BC3FC43.jpeg

I assume that is a piece of a broken spring bar. I’ve tried cleaning the hole with a toothbrush, soap, and hot water. It didn’t seem to loosen whatever is stuck in there, so I’m trying to decide what to try next. The other suggestions I’ve seen for how to remove are:

1. Add a bit of solvent (rubbing alcohol?) to dissolve any gunk in there and try to remove it by manipulating it with tweezers or screwdriver after letting the solvent soak in there for a bit.

2. Same as above but with WD40 instead of a solvent.

3. Drill it out... (not too keen to try this one)

Any tips or advice OF has to share would be much appreciated. If I try some of the above fixes, should I start with the solvent? Is rubbing alcohol a good solvent to use for this?

Thanks in advance.

2. apsm100 applysome! Apr 24, 2020

This happened to me once with an old Bulova. I got the thinnest needle pin I could find and carefully leveraged it out. It takes a bit of time and patience. I would never ever use a drill!

sonicosa likes this.
  3. M'Bob Apr 24, 2020

I’m sure a watchmaker will chime in with something about alum? But as a do it yourselfer, I would be tempted to crazy glue something to the broken tip, then when dry, squirt oil in, and try to yank it out.

sonicosa and apsm100 like this.
  4. sonicosa Apr 24, 2020

Thank you @apsm100 ...to clarify, I wouldn’t use a drill either. I would try to find a thin enough drill bit and do it manually.

Hopefully it doesn’t get to that point. Worst case scenario, this is not a very sought after reference, and I could pick up a case without breaking the bank.

apsm100 likes this.
  5. High Hope Apr 24, 2020

How about a strong magnet and some WD-40?

sonicosa likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo Apr 24, 2020

Drills???

I've had this happen a few times; either I could shake/knock it out or use a pin to prod it a bit until it came loose. Once or twice I've used a tiny amount of glue on the tip of a small screwdriver to stick it to and then pull out.

chadpowe11 and sonicosa like this.
  7. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Apr 24, 2020

Just dealt with this personally a couple days ago. The material is usually a soft brass so I ended up using a cheap (but still sharp) jeweler screwdriver of the same size, and "drill" it with that. Basically using it as a small endmill to scrape away the pin.

Easier to handle than a solo drill bit of the same size.

sonicosa likes this.
  8. cverstegen Apr 24, 2020

WD-40 should break down any rust that is causing it to stick, but you may have to leave it soaking for a while before that works. If it is sticking for a reason other than rust - the deformation of the lug in the picture indicates that this may be the case - you will just have to be patient and try to pry it out. A push pin is probably a good idea for this.

sonicosa likes this.
  9. ZIELSZIEK Apr 24, 2020

If you do get a drill I'd recommend a PCB one. I use them in electronics when drilling component holes in boards. They come in very small diameters and should get the job done. Diameters range from 0.3mm to 1.2mm.
    A decent one will not break the bank either.
    As others have said, I'd use a combination of "screwing in" a cheap jeweler's screwdriver and glue to try and get it out, and if that fails get out the drill.

sonicosa likes this.
  10. Dan S Apr 24, 2020

Before using glue, perhaps try some sticky tape or putty.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  11. sonicosa Apr 24, 2020

It’s really stuck in there. I’ve tried prodding it with a small cheap screwdriver, variety of pins, and pair of pointed tweezers, and it does not seem to be budging. For now, I have the lugs soaking in rubbing alcohol. I’ll give it a try again later tonight and see if it inclined to move before soaking in some WD-40.

I don’t have any push pins handy, so may run out and pick some up. I found a sewing kit in my travel bag that had a few sewing needles and safety pin, but I think a push pin would be a better option for this.

Will update on my next attempt, thanks for the responses!

12. Professor Apr 24, 2020

You might try acetone nail polish remover and gently tapping the end of the lug with a plastic head mallet, the tiny one that comes in a watch repair kit, or the handle of a screw driver.
    At worst the acetone with clean the end of the pin well enough that super glue should bond to it. A little acetone left in the hole should prevent the glue from bonding the pin in the hole.

13. Utheman Apr 24, 2020

Freeze it

14. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 24, 2020

Dip the lug in an ultrasonic cleaner.

15. sonicosa Apr 24, 2020

Where we’re going, we don’t need drills.

99B9476E-B580-468C-8D9D-57093F91F292.jpeg

Vitezi, ConElPueblo and Radiumpassion like this.
  16. sonicosa Apr 24, 2020

Do you think acetone is a better solvent for this than the rubbing alcohol? I can add that to my list when I go to pick up the push pins. I just checked my wife’s bathroom, and she doesn’t seem to have any.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 24, 2020

Not sure what the push pin is going to do for you - if it were a through hole lug (which it doesn't appear to be based on the photo) I could see it, but tapping a pin into the broken part in a blind hole is more than likely just going to expand the broken piece it and jam it in there even more.

Soaking it in a solvent is the first thing to try, but give it time before you do anything else.

sonicosa likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 24, 2020

Alum isn't going to work - most spring bars are either brass or stainless steel...

sonicosa and M'Bob like this.
  19. sonicosa Apr 24, 2020

...and it’s out!!! Pulled it out of the alcohol and noticed it was moving a bit when I poked it. A bit more prodding and tapping, and it came out. The watch is reassembled, new strap installed, and ticking away on my wrist.

0502B7E5-2CB6-46A0-AB1F-285304B51770.jpeg

mcemeren, Zapatta, felsby and 13 others like this.
  20. Starman71 Apr 24, 2020

You should save the pin as an original part! ;-)

sonicosa likes this.