Forums Latest Members

BREAKING NEWS - 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 in Steel Revealed

1. YY77 Jun 19, 2019

I hope this additional allocation won't affect supply to NL AD's, I've been holding out for this watch for years and turned down the possibility of purchasing the GSOTM PCA. I have waited 2 years for my Carrera 360 WG but not knowing whether I will get this one allocated is excruciating.

2. jpjsavage Jun 19, 2019

Who knows? However, it would be interesting to hear about how Omega allocate their watches across the globe. Not sure if anyone here has any info of that sort?

3. weimi1 Jun 19, 2019

First congratulations to the golden Speedmaster.
    I also tried to get one here in Germany, unfortunately without success. After consultation with the distribution of omega here in Germany, would probably only 5 come here in the market and they were supposedly already distributed.
    According to Omega, about 160 of the steel version go to the German market.

4. jpjsavage Jun 19, 2019

Thank you. It was a lot of work in terms of 'hassling' the AD but he has done a great job in making my requests known to Omega. Interesting re. the numbers going to Germany. I wonder if anyone else knows what their country's allocation is? I'm not sure what the UK is going to get but I guess the gold will be less than 20 but I've not got a clue re. the steel.

Martin_J_N likes this.
  5. petay993 Jun 19, 2019

I was at the event last night, stayed 3 hours, Omega really went to town on the hospitality, the catering standard was incredible and the Champagne was flowing all night. I arrived having missed an allocation to be told about the magic extra 8 at the door by my sales guy.

Myself and three other members of my party couldn't get our cards out quick enough!! Both pieces exceeded my expectation on the wrist.

It was good to see the boutique absolutely buzzing and the guys making plenty of sales compared to the Rolex "morgue" opposite with it's endless rows of bi-coloured Datejusts (Goldsmiths).

6. Kingkongsfinger Jun 19, 2019

I asked this specific question regarding numbers of silver LE in the UK, the OB in Manchester told me 500 for the UK total, which I thought seemed a lot. He also said the watch will triple in value, I am not sure about that but Im no expert as never bought an Omega before or a watch over £ 1000.

7. taz101 Jun 19, 2019

So there were 8 50ths you could order right there and then or am I misreading this?

8. petay993 Jun 19, 2019

That is correct, 20% refundable deposit

9. jpjsavage Jun 19, 2019

Tripling in value might be a bit optimistic (but nice for those who manage to get one). I would expect that these watches will represent a good punt for those wanting to flip them (not me btw). Also, 500 sounds like a lot from a total of 6969 but perhaps the UK represents a good market. Watch sales generally seem pretty buoyant from ADs of all brands at the moment. If you believe Boodles, the Patek sales are through the roof this year.

10. petay993 Jun 19, 2019

With a run of 6969 I think that is wildly optimistic. I will be happy if it just retains it's value.

The 50th anniversary of the moon landing is the big one and I remember watching it happen on our little B & W television when I was 5. I am not going to be around for the 100th unless there are some SIGNIFICANT breakthroughs in medical science so this will be a lovely keeper.

JesterP, Ian_km and jpjsavage like this.
  11. jpjsavage Jun 19, 2019

My thoughts entirely. I didn't see the moon landing (I was about 4 weeks old) but this event has shaped the course of history since then and it is great to honour it in this way.

12. Evitzee Jun 19, 2019

Allocation for the US is generally considered to be in the 700 to 900 range, Omega was still balancing numbers based on worldwide demand. All have been pre-sold, most with 100% payment. I look for this watch to hold its value or maybe a slight premium, doubling or tripling is just trash talk.

stevec14 likes this.
  13. petay993 Jun 19, 2019

Hopefully with full payment up front there will be less flipping than seen with recent Speedy LE's although I am not holding my breath.

I can see this operating in the £8k range.

Any serious collector will have to have one regardless of any quibbles with the design.

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 19, 2019

No any serious speculator will buy one regardless of any quibbles with the design, a serious collector would exercise their taste and engage their brain. That isn't a pop at the watch, some will love it and some wont but to say you must buy it regardless is nonsense.

15. petay993 Jun 19, 2019

So you think a Speedmaster collector will ignore the model which pays tribute to the biggest single space exploration event of the 20th century because he has an issue with some aspect of the execution.

Interesting point of view.

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 19, 2019

Thanks, I aim to add interest. Did I say ignore it by the way? I think I pretty clearly suggested it was best to consider it on its merits and not treat it as a no-brainer. No brainer decisions are by definition often pretty dumb.

17. taz101 Jun 19, 2019

I dont' agree. It is the most significant piece since the original. That's it

18. petay993 Jun 19, 2019

If you read what I originally said again you will hopefully grasp that I suggested that any serious collector would look to acquire this piece not that everybody must rush out like lemmings and buy it. The reason it is important for a collection is that it commemorates the big event.

taz101 likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 19, 2019

I don't agree. It's not the most significant piece since the original. That's it.

Seaborg, Traveler, bama2141 and 4 others like this.
  20. petay993 Jun 19, 2019

Are you able to provide some rationale for your rebuttal?