Forums Latest Members

BREAKING NEWS - 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 in Steel Revealed

1. stuart70 Jun 10, 2019

I tend to disagree. How many of the people that are on the list are just there to ‘flip’ on day one rather than buying to enjoy? The market may decide on pricing but ‘overheating’ will eventual lead to a crash and followed by a re alinement to more realistic values. This will just damage the true collectors. How many 5711’s, Daytona’s and LE’s are bought just to flipped?

2. stevec14 Jun 10, 2019

Where do you think this should be priced? I’m not arguing, just interested to hear another view.

3. stuart70 Jun 10, 2019

If you look at the price, Omega are setting the price to the level of the ‘secondary’ market. Many of the LE’s are trading at £7.5-£9k. Omega believe that this is the market price point for that level of production. If the production had been placed at 19,690, you would find that many would be trying to negotiate a discount. The rule of supply and demand.
    I just tend to feel that the speculators / flippers take away from the genuine collectors. If I see a watch and it is not what I want I won’t buy it. Which is what I am going to do with this watch. I am not going to buy it and then sell a few weeks later saying it ‘didn’t feel right’ or ‘was too fragile’.Then try and double my money.

I would have liked a higher production and lower price so more could have been able to be involved in the Anniversary.

MTROIS likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 10, 2019

It is what it is (actually like the watch)

New movement
    Touch of gold ( moon-gold now that sounds rare )
    LE for a big event.
    New price.
    Flippers- well welcome to today’s world. Not gunna stop them....

Not for me but the price doesn’t bother me. (Not my reason for not buying)
    Like the watch don’t like the subdial, there is a lot of nice things on this watch. (Not my reason for not buying)

Modern watches in general are pushing me away from them.
    Thicker and more shiny dive watches. Rolex and Omega
    Ceramic bezels, cases
    No options in future servicing

Spend the 10k on a vintage speedmaster. Boom that’s what it is all about.
    Buy 3 vintage watches worth 10k double Boom

10 pages about Omega shoulda coulda on a new watch. The talk on money and profits of future sales is killing the watch world. Every new Rolex or Omega it’s the same.

Leaving this thread for the buyers and the people that want this watch. They don’t have to answer all the nay sayers or shoulda coulda comments.

Like the ST1&2 cant wait for the happy camper wrist shots once it’s out. :thumbsup:

5. stuart70 Jun 10, 2019

Just as a slight side note to the ‘Flippers’ in UK, this income could be classed as taxable under ‘trading’ or ‘capital gains’. Thus,HMRC may have an interest. £1.3 million from puppy breeders who claimed it was not income would bring some clarity to the issue.

6. Japanred Jun 10, 2019

Are there really a lot of people looking to flip this? I don’t think it’s gonna be making people a lot of money so why take the risk?

cfracing likes this.
  7. abrod520 Jun 10, 2019

There will definitely be people looking to flip. After the Silver Snoopy proved that the market would pay a premium for limited-edition Omegas, flippers have been off to the races. Even after flops like the blue panda CK2998 and Apollo 17 45th (flops meaning from a market value perspective, not a commentary on design) they still try. It's actually held down the value of both Speedy Tuesday models so far, and will do this one too I think.

8. To the moon Jun 10, 2019

Let's see once the flippers realise that the profit may not be there and they pull there deposit....

9. Japanred Jun 10, 2019

Interesting. It’s quite a risk to shell out £7400 on the off chance that you can get more than that back. Would have to rise to 5 figures to make it worthwhile surely. And there’s the risk it will drop in value. Just doesn’t seem to be a worthwhile risk or a good way to make money in my opinion. Much better to stick with the likes of rare (under 2k units maybe?) watches or Rolex surely.

Will be interesting but this thread is keeping me in suspense and can’t wait to see my first ever brand new watch :)

10. stevec14 Jun 10, 2019

Between you and Stuart you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about it.

It’s a watch. Chill out. If you don’t like it or don’t want to pay it, don’t.

Evitzee, garryap17 and Japanred like this.
  11. Japanred Jun 10, 2019

It’s clearly worth what it’s priced at as it’s sold out. That’s how capitalism works. Nothing any of us can do about that. If no one bought it they’d probably think twice about how they priced the next one.

12. To the moon Jun 10, 2019

Well said :thumbsup:

13. Stufflers Mom Jun 10, 2019

I'm not totally convinced that the watch is sold out, 6969 is a fairly large number for a watch that has several things going for and against it. What we might see is an initial spike in grey market price as the roll out and supply is slowly distributed.

14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 10, 2019

At the end of the day, it's just a watch. Some may go to (apparently worthy) true "collectors", others might go to (apparently unworthy) "flippers". For all I know, some might sit on retailer's shelves or in safes for years.

The sun will still rise in the morning and the earth will still revolve whatever happens. And if either does not happen, then everyone will have a lot more to worry about than a Speedmaster LE :p

Speedys & Crypto and MTROIS like this.
  15. To the moon Jun 10, 2019

100%... All aside, this piece WILL sell out but maybe Omega have taken a leaf out off Rolex book and possibly stating the piece is harder to get than in reality. I do hope it does well as the anniversary deserves it and it's only the hype before the release which has lead to the disappointment of a few after.

16. Pepe Lucas Jun 10, 2019

I don’t know about the rest of the world but the allocation for the USA is sold out. Some people might say that it just means that Omega just filled the orders that the boutiques and ADs placed but I talked with a salesman in a boutique and he told me that he has several people on a waiting list in case someone changes his mind and don’t want the watch. Most of the watches already sold have some kind of deposits on them.

17. stevec14 Jun 10, 2019

Sorry mate, that wasn’t meant to sound as condescending as I just read it back, but we all (me included) get hot under the collar about these things. Reality is that it’s very much first world problems thinking whether to buy a 7 grand watch or not! We are lucky to have the choice. Many don’t or can’t.

FWIW I do think it’s worth the upgrades - just, but I don’t think it will trade at much (if any) premium. A snoopy it is not (but hey, what do I know because I hated that).

In any case, personally I am on the fence about it looks wise. I should get one, but doesn’t mean I’ll buy it.

18. To the moon Jun 10, 2019

No worries, thxs for reply. Appreciate it. Agree with 1st paragraph, We do sound like a bunch of spoilt brats sometime ;)

Speedys & Crypto and stevec14 like this.
  19. taz101 Jun 10, 2019

Let's not all get ass-head of ourselves :whistling:

stevec14 likes this.
  20. Stufflers Mom Jun 10, 2019

You can't put a lot of faith in what a salesman in a boutique tells you, perhaps his store allocation is sold, but I'm confident that these will be available to those that want them, the trouble could be the trickle supply.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.