Forums Latest Members

BREAKING NEWS - 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 in Steel Revealed

1. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 9, 2019

I like it better than its counterpart. Would love to see on the wrist as these tend to look better on pics to me than on my wrist ( personal taste, not the watch) but for what it’s worth it’s quite a nice looking piece

2. Bp1000 Jun 9, 2019

The movement is 2k more, the gold touches 1k

IMO

3. To the moon Jun 9, 2019

Yes, you're probably right

4. stevec14 Jun 9, 2019

Not to mention the ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal and caseback and revised bracelet.

When you break it down, the price increase is understandable albeit it does become quite an expensive piece....

Lonestar and savio.79 like this.
  5. To the moon Jun 9, 2019

But... When you do break it down, 6969 x £3000 = unrealistic and unjustifiable price increase, and taking advantage of an anniversary
    IMO

JustChris, Japanred and stuart70 like this.
  6. stuart70 Jun 9, 2019

Completely agree.

7. stevec14 Jun 9, 2019

Well, Not if the sum of the different bits makes up the difference, so I think it’s probably justified. Compared to an ultraman it’s fantastic value.

Whether it’s unrealistic - I suspect they’ll sell so make of that what you will.

8. To the moon Jun 9, 2019

The commander sold as well did the Apollo 17 40th....

9. stevec14 Jun 9, 2019

Not really sure what your point is, but both of those watches can be found in many places years later. This one I suspect will not languish in boutiques for too long. But hey, let’s see.

From a pure value perspective, the sum of the new parts and enhancements makes it a viable price.

But we all have a choice.

Speedys & Crypto likes this.
  10. To the moon Jun 9, 2019

Only the fact that you point out that it's a deciding factor of its success as to whether the piece sells or not. I'm just saying that many pieces sell but probably not the best of pieces, nor of quality of design

11. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 9, 2019

The Commander sold well? Not round my way it didn't. It stuck around like a stale fart for quite some time in dealer windows.

12. To the moon Jun 9, 2019

Didn't say it sold Well, I said it sold as well as the Apollo 17 40th.
    But let's not pick bones on how well we read before giving our opinion.
    But I do agree with you on the fact it was not desirable, which was kinda my point

stuart70 likes this.
  13. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 9, 2019

You said 'The commander sold as well did the Apollo 17 40th....' which is ambiguous to say the least (did you miss a clause?) so yes lets agree to not split hairs but my opinion is given freely. As it happens I agree with your point that the Apollo 50th is a tad overpriced for what it is and may not sell quite as hot-cake-like as some of our more speculative minded members would have us believe.

Edited Jun 9, 2019
  14. Asianpersuasion Jun 9, 2019

I think they did a great job, minus that awful sub dial. U forgot to mention that bracelet. That got as much attention as the watch

15. stevec14 Jun 9, 2019

It’s one factor for sure because this is a high profile release so you’d like to think they price where they think they would be able to sell. Personally, I think the price increase is just about ok based on movement and materials albeit it does push the Moonwatch into new territory which will be offputting to some. I suspect a Moonwatch will be 5.5k or thereabouts once the movement is rolled out so that might be a better comparison.

I take the point re the pieces you mention, but those are still languishing in AD’s and OB’s. I suspect these will be snapped up quicker, if only for the social media effect these days.

But it’s up to the individual as to whether they vote with their wallet or not.

16. To the moon Jun 9, 2019

:thumbsup: No worries

17. To the moon Jun 9, 2019

I agree. Looking forward Omega may well be using this piece as a springboard for future releases and where they will be pitching themselves. A high profile piece which masks the price increase slightly.... Maybe

stevec14 likes this.
  18. jpjsavage Jun 9, 2019

No-one is going to like the higher price point, but it doesn't seem unduly high to me given the limited numbers, anniversary, innovation and, of course, the AWESOME packaging!

stevec14 likes this.
  19. BT1985 Jun 9, 2019

The fact of the matter is that a 50th anniversary edition has a greater intangible asset value and that is how Omega is justifiable in the price over the mere change physical materials from the previous version. Go walk into a OB or AD tomorrow and see if you can get someone to take your money. Well an AD might....but I have been told by my AD they were promised a number which they presold and that Omega has come back and told them they will be getting less. Now they have to tell a few people they won’t be getting the watch.... The price is clearly what the market will bear.

20. jpjsavage Jun 10, 2019

Absolutely. I think they have pitched this right (much as though I would have liked it to be a little cheaper!). At the end of the day, the market will decide on future values. For now, it seems like a fair price point for an iconic watch and an important anniversary.

Japanred and stevec14 like this.