Forums Latest Members

BREAKING NEWS - 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 in Steel Revealed

1. Pepe Lucas Jun 7, 2019

I think that we will see those changes soon with a price increase too.

2. queriver Jun 7, 2019

I'm torn between 2 streams of thought about Omega discontinuing them:
    1 - The box of ideas for Speedmaster limited edition designs already looks close to empty and we're talking about taking 2 options out of the box?
    2 - A cunning Omega plan to kill off hesalite and aluminium bezels, and bring them back later on as components only seen in premium-priced LEs. I already foresee the 70 pages of posts about that amazing aluminium bezel in the Apollo XI 60th anniv LE. Side benefit: it'll be less polarising than Buzz's butt on the 50th.

3. Japanred Jun 7, 2019

As a novice I don’t actually see what’s special about the bracelet. Just looks like a steel bracelet similar to any other watch...

4. Evitzee Jun 7, 2019

Great, so buyers can then wring their hands and fret about past maintenance, service dials, hands, bezels, bracelet issues, dodgy/missing paperwork, serial number issues, etc. Progress!!!....or something.

5. Evitzee Jun 7, 2019

Oh young one.....you need education by an Omega Yoda.

6. stuart70 Jun 7, 2019

If I recall some of the other threads, the new bracelet won’t fit the old case - something to with the end links.Plus omega have said you will have to have a 50th to buy the bracelet.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 7, 2019

You asked so I answered...

If you hold this forum is such disdain, why are you here?

BlackTalon likes this.
  8. BT1985 Jun 7, 2019

Has anyone seen any pics of someone wearing the watch on the cork lined velcro strap? Really curious to get the full affect.

9. SantaCruz Jun 7, 2019

Almost the same image as on the Speedy! Lol
    6A79FC06-248B-4ACA-B440-7754C282711E.jpeg

JustChris likes this.
  10. Evitzee Jun 7, 2019

Get a grip, Archer, no one is holding this forum in disdain. If this forum is so serious that we can't have a bit of levity from time to time about some of the often repeated threads, questions and topics the place will be taking itself far too seriously. It's a forum of newbies and experienced collectors alike, many questions can be answered by using the search function. And since you commented on my seemingly inappropriate posts I'll just observe that you don't hold back in skewering an idea or comment that you find dumb or silly. We respect your experience and input for sure, but that doesn't automatically make your opinion correct. We can agree to disagree, that's fine with me.

Speedys & Crypto likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 7, 2019

I guess I missed the "levity" font in many of your posts...

12. Travelller Jun 7, 2019

There's absolutely no question that Omega's sapphire crystals don't come close to the warmth and look of plexi / Hesalite.
    Having said that, the 1st thing I noticed is that the 50th's "ring" was less pronounced than standard production moonwatches.

I figured I was imagining it so I asked the OB to bring out a standard moonwatch and sure enough, there was a difference. Hard to believe when seeing Longbow's pics* but I had them both side by side and they were different. Was it based on some freak factory tolerance? I have no clue, but I swear they looked different to my eyes...

13. elmar2001 Jun 8, 2019

I am on the list and I like the grey dial of the 50th Anniversary Apollo 11. It is really a nice watch.

But I am a little bit unhappy, because I do not like watches with steel and gold at all. Either a watch is out of steel or completely golden. Hesalit would be great too, but that is not a deal breaker, but the bezel probably is.

14. Japanred Jun 8, 2019

I’m on the opposite side of the fence; I detest completely golden watches. To me they are way too “look at me”, and are too flashy and in your face. I’d imagine half the cast of TOWIE wear this sort of thing. I much prefer understated elegance, which is why I like the subtle hints of gold. This will be my dressiest watch and wouldn’t want any more gold in it than it already has.

Completely value your opinion of course. World would be boring if we all liked the same thing. :)

elmar2001 likes this.
  15. Kevzep Jun 8, 2019

If I had the money, I'd be straight in.......!!

garryap17, Japanred and Travelller like this.
  16. elmar2001 Jun 8, 2019

I agree. That is the reason why I do not own a golden watch now. Maybe I am still too young :D (ok, probably I am not young any more) but I like golden watches. Especially if others wear them, but maybe it is my bright skin tone. Golden watches look especially nice on browner skins. But "all or nothing" is my motto. ;)

But hey, it is a fantastic and nice watch anyway and I will take a closer look, of course. Maybe I will change my mind. Let's see.

Japanred likes this.
  17. krh7 Jun 8, 2019

full gold watch, leather strap is the best compromise. or white gold rubber :)

stuart70 likes this.
  18. jpjsavage Jun 9, 2019

The gold bit of this watch looks like it has been done beautifully. Very subtle.

Japanred likes this.
  19. To the moon Jun 9, 2019

I would say the gold aspect is so minimal that it's hardly going to be a deal breaker for me.But, Omega obviously don't see it at being that minimal as they are charging around £3000 for it! ;)

20. usasuisse Jun 9, 2019

IMHO the new movement is part of the price increase.