Forums Latest Members

BREAKING NEWS - 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 in Steel Revealed

1. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

I was reading one of my very old catalogues when the Speedmaster was cheaper than Seamaster.
    To be honest I think that we would all be surprised how little a box actually costs to make, if we knew.
    I wonder if they are made in Switzerland by artisans?

2. Pepe Lucas Jun 5, 2019

I’m even thinking that Omega will start using ceramic on the bezel for the regular Speedy so that might add to a price increase.

3. Evitzee Jun 5, 2019

It's not the actual cost of the box, it's how it goes along with the product and its presentation. It's all part of the package. In this case the box, extra strap, good quality springbar tool, loupe, and let's not forget the LM watch display costs something instead of putting it in a cheap faux leather case. How much? I dunno'....$100 maybe, $200? Last time I looked my boxes were made in Switzerland, I don't think they would want to have an expensive watch presented in a case that said 'Made in China' when turned over.

Edited Jun 5, 2019
    Travelller likes this.
  4. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

I think that you are little high I would have guessed at about 50. Bulk discounts etc

5. Evitzee Jun 5, 2019

We'll never know....it's all baked into the cake. Just like we don't know what a strap really costs vs. what Omega charges, I suspect the difference is huge which is why makers are putting special straps on watches that force the owner to come back to them for strap replacements.

6. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

These will be on the Artemis editions for the next moon landings.

7. stevec14 Jun 5, 2019

Agreed. Makes sense to me. Whether I like the watch in the end or not, I think it’s priced ok.

8. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

In the UK, I can get a NATO strap from China for £2.50 sent admittedly there is a different in quality.Does make you wonder?

9. stevec14 Jun 5, 2019

Yes, and the seamaster is a level above the Tudor. Makes sense. Pick battles against the right watches.

This is omega reacting to the Rolex rubbish as far as I can see. There’s a gap for a very good watch which is available at the £5-7k range. You can’t buy a Rolex at that price.

Hopefully they will fill it.

10. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

It is just a shame that the days of a good quality and value chrono are like they are coming to an end.

11. stevec14 Jun 5, 2019

True, but longines can fill that...

12. Duckie Jun 5, 2019

Yes, this is a very real possibility.
    As the likes of Rolex and Omega keep pushing upward, it leaves room at a lower end of the price spectrum for brands like Tudor, Longines, Tag, Seiko, GS, etc to fill the vacuum

13. Duckie Jun 5, 2019

Agreed, and Omega have been working to lift the status of the reference knowing full well that what could be argued as their cornerstone watch was regarded by the wider watch buying public as having some degree of a price limit as it currently stands.
    This has been the case to some degree since the discontinuation of the 321.
    Omega and Rolex have been at war for decades with regard to their status. In recent years we have seen a tech race on between the two brands along with escalating service intervals and warranties. Both of which must surely be reaching practical limits.

Omega have been pushing the price limits of the Speedy Pro package the best way they know how by improving the build quality of the bracelet and teaming it with the briefcase box and finally a 6 year warranty like the rest of the range.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Omega views their cornerstone model (and by extention) the rest of their range to be held back by the Speedy with a 1861 and Hesalite crystal.

In the not too distant future, i see the only direction the Speedy will take is for it to only be available with the Co-axial movement and Saphire crystal(no Hesalite).
    This is the direction Omega is moving in.

stuart70 likes this.
  14. Japanred Jun 5, 2019

How often will this new watch need to be serviced?

And what will the warranty be on it?

I’ve never bought a new watch before so sorry if these are daft questions.

Pepe Lucas likes this.
  15. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

My understanding is that warranty is five years and a service is between five and eight.
    On the Omega website there is a very good section about servicing.

Speedys & Crypto and Japanred like this.
  16. cfracing Jun 5, 2019

But not a 50th Anniversary watch.

17. Pepe Lucas Jun 5, 2019

Epic!!

Japanred likes this.
  18. Travelller Jun 5, 2019

A road-show unit - was at my local OB for all of two days and now it's gone to the next port of call. I assume that each Region has at least one unit making its way among the region's OBs.

~~~~

Quick n dirty - I wanted to see what an all black dial would look like...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Edited Jun 5, 2019
    Om3ga321, Duckie, lando and 3 others like this.
  19. Evitzee Jun 5, 2019

Personally I like the black/grey dial but have not seen it in person.

Travelller likes this.
  20. BT1985 Jun 5, 2019

The grey on the dial meshes well with the brushed center links. It looks odd with all black relatively.

Travelller likes this.