Forums Latest Members

BREAKING NEWS - 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 in Steel Revealed

1. Bille Jun 5, 2019

In the last issue of Fratellowatches, it was mentioned, that Omega maybe will come with a third watch in 2019 to celebrate the 50th Anniversery.

Anybody who knows anything?

2. Skyrider01 Jun 5, 2019

Rumors are a platinum version, possibly with the 321 movement, in a very limited number of pieces.

Travelller likes this.
  3. TheMayBe Jun 5, 2019

I know the same

4. Evitzee Jun 5, 2019

Consensus is very limited and very expensive. Not meant for the unwashed masses.

5. jpjsavage Jun 5, 2019

Will be really interested to see this when it is announced. Hopefully it follows in the good path set out by the other two anniversary watches.

6. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 5, 2019

The more I see this thing, the more I dislike it. The grey stepped dial, Buzz's arse at 9 0'clock. The '11' and footprint on the caseback are its only redeeming features, but not for that price. Wasted opportunity.

Pun likes this.
  7. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

For the same price you could get a sapphire sandwich and Normal hesalite. Does put things into prespective?
    Also the servicing of this watch is going have to be done by Omega (due being a co-axial). Thus add another £730.00

8. weimi1 Jun 5, 2019

9. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

And that is what Omega’s marketing department is relying on. If they have got it wrong look at the Seamaster 007 commander (still available in AD’s) and Apollo 17 40th (took forever to sell).
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the holder!

10. Pepe Lucas Jun 5, 2019

There’s always two sides. Me personally, I love the watch and the more I look at it the more I like it. I think is done really nice and will look better in the flesh. As for the money I agree that you could buy one or two other watches or maybe more depending on the brand but if I don’t like those watches what is the use. I have some Speedmasters from the 70’s but I don’t own any version of the professional Moonwatch. Me personally find it kind of blaa, so it never appealed to me to buy one.

11. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

But are you a buyer?
    Apart from the price, Buzz and the movement I like it

12. Pepe Lucas Jun 5, 2019

I put the full deposit in March, right now I am just waiting for it and can’t wait to see it. I don’t want you to think that I am rich or anything like that. I just happened to have some watches and other items that I was not using so started selling them on Ebay since March. This is part of the hobby.

Edited Jun 5, 2019
    MTROIS, Duckie and Evitzee like this.
  13. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

I would expect this that most of us on the forum’s have budgets. I am sure that most who are able to get it will be pleased and enjoy it. There will always be ‘Flippers’, I am not one of these. I only buy watches that I intend to keep. I tend to think that a lower price point, 1861 together with a higher number would allow more to have the opportunity to have one and enjoy it too. If that is wrong then..
    I hope you enjoy you purchase.

14. Pepe Lucas Jun 5, 2019

i agree with you that Omega could have gone in a different direction and maybe do something like what you said but I also believe that there would be some people finding things that they don’t like about it . Like, they didn’t try harder, it’s to common and it’s going to ruin the resale value etc..

15. stevec14 Jun 5, 2019

I agree with most of what you say. That said, omega are clearly upgrading the movement and the materials in a shift more towards Rolex in my view. There will always be a premium for that. Let’s see. If you compare to something like the ultraman which sold quickly then the price kinda makes sense.

I suspect this is a sign of things to come with the new movement etc in the Moonwatch. Drawing closer to the sub which makes sense to me. The Moonwatch is effectively their cheapest watch but also the most known and popular.

16. Evitzee Jun 5, 2019

We keep going around in circles on this watch.....one camp likes it, has bought it and is waiting for the delivery so they can enjoy it, another camp doesn't like it, thinks it is overpriced, don't like gold, don't like the subdial, don't like the movement, don't like the number produced, etc, etc. There has never been any object produced that wasn't loved by some and hated by others. It's life.

For those that think the price is out of whack, just wait. When Omega announces the 3861 will be the standard movement going forward the price gap between the anniversary model and the regular model will be a couple of thousand dollars reflecting the use of gold, ugraded bracelet and the significance of the anniversary version. I would venture a new price of $7,000 to $7,500, coming soon to a boutique or AD near you.

BT1985, txylee and Pepe Lucas like this.
  17. weimi1 Jun 5, 2019

and the box ;)

18. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

Yes, the new 3861 will allow Omega to move the price point of the basic moonwatch to the £5k mark. This would be on par with both Tag and Breitling. The Planet Ocean is already at the same price point as the Rolex Sub but the PO is available. The Seamaster will be the entry level diver to compete with the Tudor BB / Pelagos

Martin_J_N likes this.
  19. stuart70 Jun 5, 2019

Early 2020!

20. weimi1 Jun 5, 2019

I thought that the box has its value. Back in 2014, with the price increase, it was almost 600 euros for the new box and I believe that you have to pay more for the packaging of the 50th determined.