Forums Latest Members

BREAKING NEWS - 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 in Steel Revealed

1. Vix May 19, 2019

Meh, overall. Too kitsch.

Not a fan of black and gold colour combo.

The 9 o'clock subdial is terrible IMHO. Everytime you set the time to the second, you have to look at Aldrin's butt while getting off the LEM, great. Out of the hundreds of pictures, they couldn't have picked a better shot to symbolize the first man on the moon?

This is worse than sticking 007 on a Bond watch.

Screenshot_20190519-124331_1.jpg
    kilofinal, david5807 and Traveler like this.
  2. taz101 May 19, 2019

It's just you

3. taz101 May 19, 2019

Wouldn't you say stepping foot on the moon is the most significant part of the event

Buzz apologises he wasn't able to do it in a prettier way for you but something called Gravity dictated that

4. TLIGuy May 19, 2019

Since everyone else has chimed in with their thoughts about the new watch I'll add my two cents for posterity.

My first impression from looking at the watch is that it is strikingly beautiful. I absolutely love the colors of the dial as well as the use of the gold. I think the amount of gold used and in the places they used it looks great. Like others, I think the watch will look more beautiful in person.

About the details of the watch:

I give credit to Omega for the use of the flat pushers as well as the teardrop chronograph hand. I think it is a nice nod to the NASA era Speedmasters. I do however wish they had used longer hour markers like the original 321 dials. What they did with the gold markers is nice I just think they would look better longer.

The case back is very nice but the execution could have been a bit better. I like the use of the of crosshair (Reseau grid) over the image. For me, they should have added the additional cross hair that appears missing between One and Giant. I know it would run over the text but it's just a balance thing for me. The boot print is well done but does look just a bit odd to my eye. I'm not sure what the exact process is but if it was possible to shift the backs, grays, and highlights around I think the shadow on the heal portion of the print could have been better represented. Being familiar with the picture I know it is a shadowed area but looking at the case back it almost appears that the boot is not fully printed.

The Aldrin second sub dial...Hmmm...All I can say is what was Omega thinking? I know some like it and some dislike it. I'm clearly in the dislike camp and dislike it a lot. I know Aldrin wore the first Speedmaster on the Moon but I just don't feel he alone should have been singled out. If you are familiar with the Apollo 11 mission patch you notice it's the only one with no names. It was important to the crew that the mission patch was not representative of the crew alone but represented the hopes and dreams of the 100's of thousands of people who got them there as well as the support of the world behind them. I 100% believe the watch should have retained this idea as well.

For me there were four options I would loved to have seen:

1) Nothing in the sub dial making all three the same.

2) It would be similar the 40th anniversary Speedmaster but the mission patch in gold would have been appropriate.

3) With the capabilities Omega appears to have I think a laser engraved textured Moon with a small star placed in the area of Tranquillity Base would have been very nice and subtle.

4) After seeing the case back on the new gold 50th watch with the actual piece of meteorite embedded in the case back representing the Moon I would have liked to see Omega do the same in the sub dial here. This would also make each watch individually unique.

Lastly packaging, at this moment I think I'm out there alone on this but I think the use of 02:56:48 GMT as the time the first step on the Moon occurred is incorrect. I'm still waiting to hear from a few more respected researchers on this topic but the most commonly agreed upon time the actual step occurred was at 02:56:15 GMT with the most recent research putting it at 02:56:17 GMT.

For me, I think the watch falls a bit short of the expectations after all the hype and secrecy. I'm not a buyer and never was so I'm not invested in it in any way. For those that do like it and buy I'm sure you will be pleased. Heck, I'm the guy still waiting patiently for the Gemini 4 50th anniversary watch to come out so what do I know.

EDIT - Time correction

Edited May 21, 2019
    MTROIS, zimonyig, kilofinal and 10 others like this.
  5. Inpw May 19, 2019

Wow, you sure are a pleasant fellow.

6. ICONO May 19, 2019

“No one ever went broke, underestimating the intelligence of the public.” HL Mencken

QED. The ‘Snoopy’ watch

taz101 and blubarb like this.
  7. dscoogs May 19, 2019

Like or dislike or indifferent, bottom line: Omega will sell around 100 million USD just from the 2 Apollo 11 50th anniversary models - ~1/3 from gold and ~2/3 from SS ...

Yago and taz101 like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 19, 2019

You still think they were actually on the moon when that shot was taken. :rolleyes:

Vix, Linzer and Riviera Paradise like this.
  9. blubarb May 19, 2019

And there it is!

For me, case closed. Nailed.

TLIGuy likes this.
  10. taz101 May 19, 2019

Never said I did and no I don’t believe they actually landed on the moon the technology back then simply wasn’t good enough, however, the rationale of what I said would be true applied to what they are presenting

STANDY likes this.
  11. david5807 May 19, 2019

Preach!

12. Evitzee May 19, 2019

You asked the question, and got a response.

taz101 likes this.
  13. Inpw May 19, 2019

C'est le ton qui fait la musique!

Folgono likes this.
  14. timestamp May 19, 2019

Not necessarily the same group of people.

Duckie and Archer like this.
  15. Duckie May 19, 2019

Now I'm really curious.
    Exactly what technology were they lacking?

Omegafanman likes this.
  16. mancio May 19, 2019

::facepalm1::::facepalm2::

redzer007 and Omegafanman like this.
  17. BT1985 May 19, 2019

Best pic I have seen that gives perspective from a distance.

D258AD88-29A4-4E54-9E01-3746F5ED33EE.jpeg
  18. kelsey May 19, 2019

Which in context isn't much. Example the golfer used in the Gold ones promotional vid gets atleast 100 million USD (and upto 250 mil USD) from just One of his sponsors (Nike).
    The Gold Speedmaster is likely to be a flagship model used for promoting the brand and as such is likely by its own sales not cover its own cost to produce and (especially) to promote.

Think about, ie stock standard omega's in PMs can cost as much (or more), stock standard PM models in other brands sell for as much (or much much more), some of the promotion of the gold one where even produced after they'd completely sold out (or atleast would have been know likely)...and promotions of the Gold may continue long into the future for Omega.

19. Kevzep May 19, 2019

Then what are doing in a thread which is about a Speedmaster celebrating 50 years since the first moon landing?

Tell us, what technology were they missing? I am interested to know.

I just love this watch, its very nicely done!!!

Speedys & Crypto likes this.
  20. Speedys & Crypto May 20, 2019

Which waiting list? At a specific boutique or a master list?

Thanks for any info