Breaking Down Brand Loyalty/Allure...

I think most of their new offering are blingy dreck. And yet.... I'd love a vintage Sub, SD or OP but not because I hope someone sees me in the wild with it but because I simply love them for what they are - to me.
I’m with you on this 100%. I was lusting after a new DateJust but now I’m falling in love with the 1601 at half the price, smaller proportions, less bling. More of what I want and less of the things I don’t. Being seen with a Rolex on is exactly what I don’t want. I just really like the watch. Too bad a lot of other vintage Rolex prices are crazy high.

@JwRosenthal shooting from the hip on the therapy part eh? ;-p
Only Woody Allen has taken more than me. And I still have no answers other than to other's questions and issues... but me/mine, fυck no -- I can dispense advice like burgers at a drive thru window all day long but when it comes to taking my own I'm as lost as a kid in a new store without his mom.

I am thinking I am somewhere between 50 and 100 watches away from figuring all this shit out.

Hold my beer.

I’m with you on this 100%. I was lusting after a new DateJust but now I’m falling in love with the 1601 at half the price, smaller proportions, less bling. More of what I want and less of the things I don’t. Being seen with a Rolex on is exactly what I don’t want. I just really like the watch. Too bad a lot of other vintage Rolex prices are crazy high.

Couldn't agree more... and it's precisely why when it comes to modern Rawlexx I've only dipped my toe into two (soon or not, maybe three) modern models. The rest of their current offerings are blingy, chonky, sleezeball accoutrements.

Couldn't agree more... and it's precisely why when it comes to modern Rawlexx I've only dipped my toe into two (soon or not, maybe three) modern models. The rest of their current offerings are blingy, chonky, sleezeball accoutrements.
I figured you were second guessing the DJ a bit. Don’t get me wrong. I still like the modern DJ36. It’s just a bit much for me. The modern subs look almost rectangular to me with the lugs almost as wide as the case. I definitely prefer the vintage proportions across the board. Sorry, not trying to derail into a Rolex thread.

I figured you were second guessing the DJ a bit. Don’t get me wrong. I still like the modern DJ36. It’s just a bit much for me. The modern subs look almost rectangular to me with the lugs almost as wide as the case. I definitely prefer the vintage proportions across the board. Sorry, not trying to derail into a Rolex thread.

Definitely 2nd guessing it but was just saying that between it in 36mm, and the two I do own (discontinued OP 3/6/9 blue dial 36 and the newest 36 Explorer), the rest of their shit looks just plain weird AF to my eyes... as you said, their cases are now bordering on nearly square shaped -- and even worse, when your eyes travel from case shape to bracelet, the bracelets look like they're tapering from 16mm to 8mm.
Bee-zarre.

@SC1 Do you have anything vintage? The hunt is more fun than the buying for many. And the anticipation of seeing what shows up. Just don’t talk about the service cost.

1601 or 1603 are still decent values IMO and the piepan dials set them apart from anything else. Getting them serviced is another matter.

@SC1 Do you have anything vintage? The hunt is more fun than the buying for many. And the anticipation of seeing what shows up. Just don’t talk about the service cost.

Vintage is interesting but so far it's been kept at arm's length because I don't know enough - and honestly don't want the learning curve on my table (yet).
And yes, service is something I am not into at all because I don't have "a guy" and there are zero near me. I can't even find someone to do shit here at my house who I can count on so the idea of sending watches out via post to someone is about as appealing as having my GP fist my rectum for a prostate exam.

Vintage is interesting but so far it's been kept at arm's length because I don't know enough - and honestly don't want the learning curve on my table (yet).
And yes, service is something I am not into at all because I don't have "a guy" and there are zero near me. I can't even find someone to do shit here at my house who I can count on so the idea of sending watches out via post to someone is about as appealing as having my GP fist my rectum for a prostate exam.

I'm willing to bet the described action in last sentence is a first in OF history. #howdwegethere

Thanks for the laugh as always lol! Yea, you'll just have to be okay with sending them out. The learning part is also a lot of the fun, for me at least. But I can understand if it's not high on the priority list. I'm just trying to slowly build my knowledgebase for the future.

1601 or 1603 are still decent values IMO and the piepan dials set them apart from anything else. Getting them serviced is another matter.
I hadn't really thought of that. Is that because Rolex restricts their parts supply? I have a watchmaker very close that is a Rolex boutique and I'm pretty sure would do the work in-house. They're not cheap but could probably be trusted to service and do nothing else.

I'm willing to bet the described action in last sentence is a first in OF history. #howdwegethere

My mom always said I was destined for great things.

Thanks for the laugh as always lol! Yea, you'll just have to be okay with sending them out. The learning part is also a lot of the fun, for me at least. But I can understand if it's not high on the priority list. I'm just trying to slowly build my knowledgebase for the future.

I hadn't really thought of that. Is that because Rolex restricts their parts supply? I have a watchmaker very close that is a Rolex boutique and I'm pretty sure would do the work in-house. They're not cheap but could probably be trusted to service and do nothing else.
The parts are all NLA so Rolex is totally out of the equation. It’s like owning a Zodiac or Bulova- you need to hunt down parts…just a higher price tag becuase it has the crown on them.
That said, there used to be a shit ton of parts out in the world for these, Rolex wasn’t always so dickish about their parts. Most have been hoarded by greedy sub owners since they are at the top of the food chain for values.
Edited:

The parts are all NLA so Rolex is totally out of the equation. It’s like owning a Zodiac or Bulova- you need to hunt down parts…just a higher price tag becuase it has the crown on them.
That said, there used to be a shit ton of parts out in the world for these, Rolex wasn’t always so dickish about their parts. Most have been boarded by greedy sun owners since they are at the top of the food chain for values.
Man, Rolex just gets less and less attractive by the day. So now we've come full circle to the brand discussion. F Rolex. #omega4lyfe

Man, Rolex just gets less and less attractive by the day. So now we've come full circle to the brand discussion. F Rolex. #omega4lyfe

Kinda where I was heading except one thing -- why just the big houses, how about the lil' guy who makes an interesting watch that makes you glow inside while messing with your heavy hitters ~ ie: what I was trying for in my long winded tome originally.

Yeah- the fact that Omega keeps stock of most parts for their older watches and makes them readily available to their authorized independent watchmakers (who have the license to do as much or as little to the watch as the customer wants) is a big plus in the Omega column- and they give you your old parts back….because they are yours, not theirs.

Yeah- the fact that Omega keeps stock of most parts for their older watches and makes them readily available to their authorized independent watchmakers (who have the license to do as much or as little to the watch as the customer wants) is a big plus in the Omega column- and they give you your old parts back….because they are yours, not theirs.

Sidebar to that ↑

my Rawlexx AD told me last week when I asked about the possibility of an after-sale of an Oyster Bracelet if the Jubby didn't suit me on the DJ36, "We can't but not for the reasons you're probably thinking... Rolex makes the cases just slightly different for an Oyster and for the Jubilee so they won't fit perfectly if you interchange them."

Seemed sus to me but anyone else ever heard this?

Sidebar to that ↑

my Rawlexx AD told me last week when I asked about the possibility of an after-sale of an Oyster Bracelet if the Jubby didn't suit me on the DJ36, "We can't but not for the reasons you're probably thinking... Rolex makes the cases just slightly different for an Oyster and for the Jubilee so they won't fit perfectly if you interchange them."

Seemed sus to me but anyone else ever heard this?
That sound like total bullshit. A case should be a case should be a case. If they have a different reference number for one that came with an oyster than a jubilee- then yes, but if the case reference is identical, then there shouldn’t be any difference

That sound like total bullshit. A case should be a case should be a case. If they have a different reference number for one that came with an oyster than a jubilee- then yes, but if the case reference is identical, then there shouldn’t be any difference

It smelled like jive to me as well.

It smelled like jive to me as well.
I would ask if they have a different case reference number. If so, then perhaps it’s true- I could see Rolex doing some bullshit like this

My lizard/Gollum brain likes how Seamasters make me feel. I do think it has to do with some inner calling for adventure.