Breaking Down Brand Loyalty/Allure...

My lizard/Gollum brain likes how Seamasters make me feel. I do think it has to do with some inner calling for adventure.

Legit answer. I'm down with that too.

That sound like total bullshit. A case should be a case should be a case. If they have a different reference number for one that came with an oyster than a jubilee- then yes, but if the case reference is identical, then there shouldn’t be any difference

I just saw a video about this. Apparently, the new jubilee bracelets (at least for the datejusts) have a raised notch on the end piece with a corresponding slot in the case for it to fit into. The oyster ends (and case) are smooth.

so maybe not bullshit?

I just saw a video about this. Apparently, the new jubilee bracelets (at least for the datejusts) have a raised notch on the end piece with a corresponding slot in the case for it to fit into. The oyster ends (and case) are smooth.

so maybe not bullshit?

Seems very plausible now that you mention that because the new Explorer 36 has the same -- Rawlexx says they did it because of the new 19mm spacing between the lugs but I am guessing it's to lock folks down into "use our spec'd bracelet or face problems with aftermarket fitment or worse, ugliness with your jive ass strap buddy."

Kinda where I was heading except one thing -- why just the big houses, how about the lil' guy who makes an interesting watch that makes you glow inside while messing with your heavy hitters ~ ie: what I was trying for in my long winded tome originally.

I have an Orient Star that would probably be my only watch if push came to shove. I love it just as much if not more than watches twice its value.

Kinda where I was heading except one thing -- why just the big houses, how about the lil' guy who makes an interesting watch that makes you glow inside while messing with your heavy hitters ~ ie: what I was trying for in my long winded tome originally.
I definitely think smaller/less expensive brands can give one the same feeling. Just depends on what tickles one's fancy. I still love my Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic but it has been mostly shunned to the box at the moment. I'm in love with this Zenith I recently got and I can't imagine it would sell for very much. There is definitely a line to be crossed though. I've been enjoying my old ~$150 Orient diver this past week and it's a great fun watch. But it doesn't give me that "holy shit this thing kicks ass" vibe I get from my C-case or Speedy. If I had a SMP I'd probably never wear the Orient again. Maybe it is just price and brand prestige and some other subconscious stuff. I don't know. It's getting too deep.

so maybe not bullshit?
fυcking Rolex. They are just as bad as Apple with cord compatibility- always finding some bullshit reason their proprietary crap is superior and they can’t standardize to the rest of the industry.

fυcking Rolex. They are just as bad as Apple with cord compatibility- always finding some bullshit reason their proprietary crap is superior and they can’t standardize to the rest of the industry.

Here it is on the new Explorer...

This is going to sound pretentious, but I really like watches that help me to pre-visualize my role for the day. And, as such, I enjoy that they help me to mentally prepare for what I'll be doing, and that they potentially will be a tool for keeping me organized with the task at hand. Time is the ultimate independent variable in our lives, and I like that watches help me to be mindful of it. Eventually, watches become touchstones, reminding me of all the time I spent doing those things - working hard to build a business, taking my kid on hikes, trips we took with friends, endless hours of training in the gym, etc.

So, when I pick a watch, it's because its design and function seem to speak to the roles I play throughout my life. I try not to be beholden to brand loyalty, and I tend to really gravitate to larger and sometimes even brutalist designs that are trying very hard to communicate their 'tool watch' status (I just put a down payment on a Sinn U50 a few weeks ago, for example). This is definitely related to my mental image of myself as someone who finds fulfilment in working hard.

Then again, lately I have picked up some funky things (some Casios, a moonswatch, some Seiko 5s); perhaps I was feeling that I had been taking collecting a bit too seriously.

Since this is the OMEGA forum, I will say that I think Omega has done a fantastic job of combining thoughtful design and horological innovation, while also having fun and experimenting with novel designs. And, there are certainly some beefy toolwatches in the lineup (the ploprof comes to mind).

But, of course, this is an irrational hobby for weirdos. Functionally, a garmin watch or a quartz chronograph would do all the tool watch stuff I need. And there's definitely a veblenist quality to sending money on what is essentially jewelry and keepsakes. Omega speaks to that part of the psyche too. The dang things aren't cheap.

Ok, I just reread what I wrote and it sounds pretty darn pretentious. Sorry for rambling on.
Edited:

This is going to sound pretentious, but I really like watches that help me to pre-visualize my role for the day. And, as such, I enjoy that they help me to mentally prepare for what I'll be doing, and that they potentially will be a tool for keeping me organized with the task at hand. Time is the ultimate independent variable in our lives, and I like that watches help me to be mindful of it. Eventually, watches become touchstones, reminding me of all the time I spent doing those things - working hard to build a business, taking my kid on hikes, trips we took with friends, endless hours of training in the gym, etc.

So, when I pick a watch, it's because its design and function seem to speak to the roles I play throughout my life. I try not to be beholden to brand loyalty, and I tend to really gravitate to larger and sometimes even brutalist designs that are trying very hard to communicate their 'tool watch' status (I just put a down payment on a Sinn U50 a few weeks ago, for example). This is definitely related to my mental image of myself as someone who finds fulfilment in working hard.

Then again, lately I have picked up some funky things (some Casios, a moonswatch, some Seiko 5s); perhaps I was feeling that I had been taking collecting a bit too seriously.

Since this is the OMEGA forum, I will say that I think Omega has done a fantastic job of combining thoughtful design and horological innovation, while also having fun and experimenting with novel designs. And, there are certainly some beefy toolwatches in the lineup (the ploprof comes to mind).

But, of course, this is an irrational hobby for weirdos. Functionally, a garmin watch or a quartz chronograph would do all the tool watch I need. And there's definitely a venlenist quality to sending money on what is essentially jewelry and keepsakes. Omega speaks to that part of the psyche too. The dang things aren't cheap.

Ok, I just reread what I wrote and it sounds pretty darn pretentious. Sorry for rambling on.

This isn’t pretentious at all. It’s a perfect reflection of the hobby. I dig it.

So, when I pick a watch, it's because its design and function seem to speak to the roles I play throughout my life. I try not to be beholden to brand loyalty,

Whole reason this speaks to me every time I wear it..

TCM orienteering. Titanium with solar compass