Forums Latest Members
  1. schoolboy Oct 17, 2020

Hey all!

So I recently bought a Speedmaster hesalite, and was going to wait until my birthday in November to wear it, but I decided to wear it starting yesterday.

I set the time yesterday and the watch had been keeping good time and the chrono working flawlessly

About an hour ago, I started the chrono to time a short drive. I got to my destination and noticed the chrono was stuck at 2 seconds past the 12 hour marker.

So I wondered if I accidentally stopped it by mistake.

I reset it and left it.

Now, I notice my watch has fallen behind the time by about 25 minutes.

What the heck?

What do you all think is going on?

GreekOmega likes this.
  2. schoolboy Oct 17, 2020

I want to add, before actually wearing the watch, I had the watch running in my safe, and would wind it daily for about 20 days

The watch gained a few seconds a day but that was it.

I wonder what caused this?

3. schoolboy Oct 17, 2020

Also, the watch is new from an AD

4. Pazzo Oct 17, 2020

Something is not right obviously.
    I'd take it back to the AD and explain what has happened.

schoolboy likes this.
  5. schoolboy Oct 17, 2020

Well I’m hoping maybe I got confused and looked at the chrono seconds hand instead of the minutes hand

It’s been a long day and I was driving when I checked the time, noticed it was off (supposedly) and fixed it

I will be watching the watch again

6. Pazzo Oct 17, 2020

I hope you've stopped driving since, ...... if you're that confused

..... :D

apsm100, Pun, Foo2rama and 1 other person like this.
  7. Scooterino36 Oct 17, 2020

I would recommend ruling out user error before jumping to any conclusions. Making sure that it’s fully wound, crown is in, starting the chronograph and periodically checking it as well as the timekeeping. Probably best to do in a controlled setting at home when you aren’t distracted.

Foo2rama and schoolboy like this.
  8. JCF Oct 17, 2020

schoolboy likes this.
  9. schoolboy Oct 18, 2020

Finally home :)

10. schoolboy Oct 18, 2020

Thanks, I agree.

I went ahead and checked the winding and gave it a full wind just in case.

Pazzo likes this.
  11. Pazzo Oct 18, 2020

Ah, finally.
    I was worried for almost two and a half hours.

.... :)

befobe, Pun and schoolboy like this.
  12. schoolboy Oct 18, 2020

Hey thanks a bunch for that. I wonder if that’s what’s happening.

When this happened to yours, would this happen EVERY time you used the chrono? Or just every now and then?
    I just tested the chrono for 50min

then reset

and tested for 50 more min

and have had no issues with the chrono or with the watch losing time yet

13. JCF Oct 18, 2020

At the time before it was fixed, it happened occasionally (I wouldn't say every time), but the seconds value where it stopped can be anywhere between 0-60, i.e. not consistently at one position. There were times I'd run the chrono for hours to replicate the issue, but it just wouldn't occur. Was lucky to catch it on video.

schoolboy likes this.
  14. schoolboy Oct 18, 2020

Good morning.
    Thanks for the feedback.

So I ran the chrono all night, and everything is perfect this morning.

I’m really hoping I just misread the hands or so.

I’ll keep checking it though.

Again, thanks a bunch for that video and your input. I’m sure the video might come in handy if I need to talk to my AD.

15. JCF Oct 18, 2020

Hoping for the best. Wear it in good health!

schoolboy likes this.
  16. MRC Oct 18, 2020

Where do you wear it on your wrist? Even above the radius bone bulge I sometimes manage to start the chrono when not intending to. My Speedy takes a definite push but chronos with a much softer action such as column wheel Valjouxs are more prone to it.

schoolboy likes this.
  17. Evitzee Oct 18, 2020

You shouldn't have told us you were saving yourself until November, and then sneaked out and wore your watch on the QT. Karma, baby, karma.

A chrono can get jammed on startup if the teeth on the chrono mechanism engage at precisely the wrong angle. Designers try to avoid this but it can happen on rare occasions. I don't think I've ever had a Speedmaster do it. @Archer has discussed this phenomenon at various times. I suspect yours was a one time thing and won't happen again. Just wear it, use the chrono and see if it happens again, it probably won't.

Edited Oct 18, 2020
    Dor_42, apsm100 and schoolboy like this.
  18. schoolboy Oct 18, 2020

I wear it above the wrist bone but agree that the pushers take quite the push to get going.

So idk!

19. schoolboy Oct 18, 2020

Hahaha

It was hard to wait.

I love road trips, and bought my Rolex Datejust October 17 of 2018

On October 16 we left on a road trip, so I figured why not wear it!

It’s called a Speedmaster because of its connection with cars and the road!

Thanks for the input regarding the chrono function. I didn’t know that but this is my first mechanical chrono.

I hope you’re right and it never happens again!

20. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Oct 18, 2020

I had a Speedmaster where this occurred a handful of times; each time the chrono was running.

The first time caught me by surprise because the entire watch had stopped running (which this happened every subsequent time as well). I was surprised because the watch was brand new and I had just bought it from Omega and I had just given it a full wind. When I noticed the watch was frozen, I reset the chrono (the hand swept back to 12), started the chrono, and the watch sprung back to life. I tried to recreate it to no avail.

The next time it happened was several weeks later. Again? The entire watch stopped running and as another member above said, the chrono hand was in a different position each time. I reset the chrono, started it, and the watch sprung back to life. Trying to recreate it failed.

It happened a handful more times over the course of two months, with each time the entire watch freezing in time. Most of the times I reset the chrono and started it again, the watch sprung back to life. There we’re two separate instances where when recreating the “chrono locking” I was successful and able to get it on camera. I used this footage to show my local OB.

To reiterate and clarify, the watch was brand new and I was the first owner, purchased from the OB I showed the footage to. Over the two months I owned the watch the “chrono locking” happened a handful of times. In between those times I was able to successfully run the chrono countless times, for varying durations, with no interruptions or failures. The watch was taken back under warranty and when it was returned, the chrono lock never happened again.

schoolboy likes this.