Forums Latest Members
  1. JCF Apr 2, 2018

Hello! New to this forum but been in this hobby for a while. Took the plunge for my first Speedmaster almost two months ago. I take it out sparingly, but really do enjoy wearing the Speedy out in the sun. Have used it probably just the 5th time yesterday, and wanted to try the chrono function on my drive home. To my surprise the chrono stopped at 7 mins, stopping the whole watch as well. As i was driving, i only noticed it about 5 mins later, and so the watch was 5 mins late already.

I was able to repeat the issue, and have taken a video of it which you can view below:

1. Pushing the chrono start/stop button works as expected. At about 1:05 video mark, the center seconds hand will begin to lock. Here it locks at 58 secs. But secs value is random, i have frozen it at 14, 44, etc. If you'd observe closely, there is a certain "bite" just as it locks. The subdial seconds also freezes essentially stopping the watch.

2. Pushing the chrono start/stop button disengages the chrono, and the subdial seconds hand will move again. So i'm guessing that the teeth are jamming. Maybe something like this is happening?

3. Pushing the chrono start/stop button would again engage center chrono. But as it goes around, it does not lock anymore in the same position. In one instance the center seconds consistently froze at 14 secs (about 3 runs).

Reseting the chrono works as expected.

The watch is from an AD, and is therefore under warranty so will have to bring this in. But sharing this just in case someone else is experiencing the same. Does not appear to be documented in a lot of topics, this other thread is the closest reference I've seen.

2. whitestripes Apr 3, 2018

Are you fully wound? Having the chrono stop at 58 then having the watch running again when stopping the chrono sounds like power reserve is low

3. JCF Apr 3, 2018

Yup this is fully wound.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 3, 2018

Warranty. The 861 is normally trouble free.

5. lustrousaurus Apr 3, 2018

I had this happen once for my Alaska Project but never really investigated. It stopped at 15 seconds, but didn't happen again. Eventually got it serviced, but yours is new, so that's just strange.

6. JCF Apr 5, 2018

Dropped off my watch last night at the boutique and as we were doing the paperwork, I had observed the Speedy's chrono---on its own---stop, freeze, and after a while continue running! Well that's new. But then eventually it froze again.

They took the warranty card together with the watch and will hear from them in 7-10 days.