Forums Latest Members

Brand new member shopping for first Omega

1. sgav8r Mar 15, 2021

Hello first post to the forum here. I’ve been active on WUS and other watch forums in the past as well but I’m new here!

I’ve been watch obsessed for years and I’ve accumulated some cool pieces. Up until now my most lavish watch purchase was a used Oris Big Crown ProPilot Altimeter that I picked up for around $1200 about a year ago.

Now I find myself finally preparing to drop some “serious” money on a watch brand I’ve always longed for, Omega! I’ve set my sights on the newest Seamaster 300 (SMP 300) with the calibre 8800 movement. I’d like to buy new but I’m not interested in paying full retail of $5,200. Can I expect an AD (there are a few within a couple hours drive from me) to provide any discount off retail? The one I already contacted said they simply aren’t allowed by Omega to discount the price. I know it’s possible to find these watches discounted as much as 20-25% on the grey market. I also understand the advantage of buying from an AD. But at the end of the day a warrant and a gift bag isn’t worth $1,000 to me!

I’m also perfectly fine buying a preowned Omega and that may just be the route for me to go. Honestly I’m deciding between the new Seamaster or possibly an older preowned Planet Ocean 45.5mm. I generally prefer larger watches like that but the 42mm newest Seamaster would be acceptable considering the newest movement is pretty amazing. And that wave dial!

2. 8100_RPM Mar 15, 2021

If you are in the US, call Topper Fine Jewelers and ask for Rob. They are a sponsor of the other forum and are great to deal with.

Nathanwatch and sgav8r like this.
  3. sgav8r Mar 15, 2021

Awesome! Thanks will do.

4. Rado63 Mar 16, 2021

Omega boutiques won't offer you a discount, but independent Omega dealers can and will often do that. The issue with buying grey market for a discount is that you don't know if the watch is coming with the full set of box and papers, and may not have an Omega warranty. A preowned watch whether from a private seller, or from a secondary market dealer that was originally purchased from an Omega dealer, and is a full set with remainder of factory warranty may give you the best price and a complete set of boxes, books, tags. Look at all the sales forums on all the watch forums maybe you will find a piece for sale from an original owner that purchased new from an AD.

sgav8r likes this.
  5. ipreferjester Mar 17, 2021

Similar to what Rado said, I'd highly suggest going to an independent dealer. Moreso than not, eventually, most of us get that irritating little bug in the back of our heads that tell us to go back in for another piece down the line. If youre in a good standing with your local dealer, that may become beneficial to getting some hard to get pieces down the line. While the card and gifts may not be worth the extra thousand, that relationship is priceless and can sometimes be your ticket to that extra special piece you just have to have later on.