Bought an Omega off of ebay...

Greetings. I'm totally new to the watch world, having never worn one. But the brother in law wanted a watch for graduation, so I started looking around. I got this off of ebay, and am wondering about it. Mostly what parts are original. Seems the crown and back are not original? I just want to know what to tell him when I give it to him, if he has any questions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176387384187

Additionally, I assume it is good to go, as the seller claims it was serviced, but any advice in that area would be appreciated.

Thank you to anyone who is willing to hold my hand a bit.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Yes the crown is a replacement.

What is your concern about the back.

BTW if you paid anywhere near the asking price you really paid too much.

Like 2
Did you read this pinned thread https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/ ?

Hopefully you are in the EU or central Europe as the link seems to show the watch in in the Ukraine.

Nothing wrong with that, I got a nice watch once from Moldova.

Price seems to be a bit on the high side. This is a basic three hander from the 1940s.

Looks like a snap back. Those are harder to swap than a screw back.

Do you think it to be a Franken? If so why?

Never expect the watch to be serviced. Best to have your watchmaker check it out if possible and plan for a basic service. The giftee should also realize that these are special things and will need to establish a relationship with a watchmaker as well. That is how they were designed.

Like 1
Yes the crown is a replacement.

What is your concern about the back.

BTW if you paid anywhere near the asking price you really paid too much.
Hi,

I paid 1k, which seemed too much, but at some point I was sick of making low ball offers. I have no idea what he likes, but I did like the dial.

I am thinking I still paid like 300 too much? But again I have no idea what I'm doing.

Like 1
Did you read this pinned thread https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/ ?

Hopefully you are in the EU or central Europe as the link seems to show the watch in in the Ukraine.

Nothing wrong with that, I got a nice watch once from Moldova.

Price seems to be a bit on the high side. This is a basic three hander from the 1940s.

Looks like a snap back. Those are harder to swap than a screw back.

Do you think it to be a Franken? If so why?

Never expect the watch to be serviced. Best to have your watchmaker check it out if possible and plan for a basic service. The giftee should also realize that these are special things and will need to establish a relationship with a watchmaker as well. That is how they were designed.
Thank you for the information. I'm in the U.S., already received the watch. It does look nice in person.

The listing said 1970s, but it did seem to line up with what I was looking at from the 1940s to 1950s, so I appreciate the information on the date. I'll try to get it serviced before giving it to him.

Thank you both.

The dial is definitely unique and nice. Not sure if you've talked about sourcing a new crown for it, but worth the inquiry. Once the service is done and the crystal is polished up, it's really going to be a really nice timepiece. Black leather strap works but also can be paired with a dark brown as well..

Hi,

I paid 1k, which seemed too much, but at some point I was sick of making low ball offers. I have no idea what he likes, but I did like the dial.

I am thinking I still paid like 300 too much? But again I have no idea what I'm doing.

Whatever you paid above what most of us would pay is just the cost of your vintage watch education. Which is fitting, for a graduation watch ;). A watch is a lovely sentiment to celebrate your BIL’s milestone. Be sure to tell him at some point that while he doesn’t need to carry it around in bubble wrap, it is an antique, he shouldn’t store it in a box of magnets, and it is not waterproof, merely somewhat water-resistant (even after a service)

Awesome, thank you guys. Yeah, the wife and I thought maybe brown is a little nicer for this one, but I do think black works, maybe. Might just present the guy with the option of having it changed.