Forums Latest Members

Bought a DSOTM from an AD (new) with 2014 Date of Production

1. nola22 Apr 17, 2022

Bought a brand new DSOTM from an AD and it was shipped to me. I noticed when I got it that the Date of production sticker was NOV 2014. I know these things can sit for a while, but almost 7+ years seems a little excessive.

Should I be concerned at all? Came from an AD so I have the 5 year warranty obviously; but clearly this is a long time for a watch to just sit out. As I understand it, age does play a small part with seals and lubricants drying out over time. I am sure being a leather backed band as well, leather does age on its own.

2. mbp Apr 17, 2022

I think you can always ask them how the watch was stored. I don’t think there should be any issue as long as the movement seems to be working fine. I wish I had a better answer, though.

3. justacpa Apr 17, 2022

Wow! That's almost like finding a brand new '69 Z28 bubble wrapped in a barn.

mbp likes this.
  4. Omegafanman Apr 18, 2022

Well done on the purchase, it is a lovely watch. Presumably you have a ceramic buckle strap? It is worth upgrading to the deployant version although the buckle works fine.
    I am certain at launch Omega talked about 10 year service intervals for the 9300. All I can see now is a generic 5-8 years so they seem to have dropped that. Oils will degrade and pool even when the watch is not it use. Basically I would get the watch Omega serviced at the end of your five year warranty. The Omega service will cover all internal parts for any wear and tear and the AD warranty covers you now if anything breaks. As the 9300 is fairly new it will be interesting to see if people can stretch the service times / how they last without a service.

5. mbp Apr 18, 2022

Can you just ask for a service and be covered under the 5-year warranty? Do you need to give a reason?

6. nola22 Apr 18, 2022

I would seriously doubt omega would provide a free ‘service’ under the 5 year warranty; why would they if nothing is technically wrong. My guess would be if I sent it in, it would be promptly returned with no issue/fault found.

mbp likes this.
  7. Dan S Apr 18, 2022

I hope you got a good discount, because it's basically in need of service already. Age plays more than a "small part" in the efficacy of lubricants.

Stripey likes this.
  8. Bugbait Apr 19, 2022

Just wear it and see how it performs. I bought a NOS Deville and after about a year it started consistently loosing at least 6 seconds a day. Omega tried to regulate it but it started loosing time again after a few months. In the end they performed a full service under warranty to get it back into specification due to old oils.

9. Omegafanman Apr 19, 2022

Why not set up an account on the Omega website and register your watch. Then send them a message saying as your watch will be 8 years old during warranty will they service it FOC as you are worried there could be damage. It will be interesting to see their answer. I also think it is not something to worry about too much… but it is interesting.

cvalue13 likes this.
  10. mbp Apr 19, 2022

I also don't want to detract from any joy you're getting from your new purchase, OP. Wear it in good health. Hope you love the watch.

Omegafanman likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 19, 2022

It's under warranty, so if there's a problem it will get a full service for free anyway. No point in worrying about it until there's a problem, and then just send it in under warranty.

Pun, sonicosa, STANDY and 2 others like this.
  12. KnoP Apr 19, 2022

I think on this movement you have 5 years full waranty so no need to be concerned!
    If your add is serious he will check if all oils are where they shoud be for free to make you feel better!
    enjoy the watch without concerns, its a beauty, congrats

925CBCA7-EFB9-40B1-BD46-E190A81BF70A.jpeg
    befobe, Pun, tudor66 and 2 others like this.
  13. ConElPueblo Apr 19, 2022

Make sure to periodically check to see if the accuracy is within Omega’s specs. If not, send it in under warranty.

befobe, Dan S and Omegafanman like this.
  14. Evitzee Apr 19, 2022

Where was the date of production sticker? I don't recall ever getting a new Omega that had any sort of production date shown on the documentation. Just curious as to what you are referring to, maybe I'm missing something.

Edited Apr 19, 2022
    Omegafanman likes this.
  15. Omegafanman Apr 20, 2022

Thats a good point. I assumed that would mean it came with the ceramic buckle. I think they only do the deployant option now.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/bou...-2014-date-of-production.144802/#post-1974896

16. mbp Apr 20, 2022

Is the one on the right a Speedmaster Reduced albino?

Scooterino36 likes this.
  17. nola22 Apr 20, 2022

So as it turns out the date of production sticker (bottom of the inner cardboard box) is the date of production for the box itself. I thought about that being a possibility when I first saw it; but logically I was wondering why Omega would track and label date of production for the cheap box; but not do so for the actual mechanical and expensive watch contained therein.

In any case, I found another sticker from the AD (this AD applies a unique stock number/PN to this model that is not the ref #) and it is labeled 2017; so that appears to the be the date it was received by the AD. Still a little old, but obviously better than 2014. I knew it was a pre 11/2018 model since the pictogram card has 4 year warranty and not 5.

With regards to the specs, it seems to be running at least 5 seconds fast, so I am still within spec.

This is the second DSOTM watch I received from the AD. The first showed up in the seamaster light wood box with the wrong pictogram cards (different ref all together). So needless to say; I am already a little impatient with this dealer.

18. Omegafanman Apr 20, 2022

I think there has always been the potential for watches to hang around a while at the point of sale….. so maybe they don’t want to make that too obvious :0)

Invoice to the AD in 1975... registered as sold in 1982....
    I guess the Quartz crisis and seventies economic malaise not helping.....

https://omegaforums.net/threads/tissot-extract-from-the-archives-service-my-experience.94388/

19. KnoP Apr 20, 2022

yes, just bought it some days ago :)

mbp likes this.
  20. mbp Apr 21, 2022

Great pick-up. Excellent collection. Wear it in good health!