Forums Latest Members
  1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 24, 2013

recently, i was looking for a wg oysterquartz day date to round out my rolex gang. More rare than you think and will become highly collectible one day, but I digress.

Anyway, I signed up @ Rolexforums to help in my search. I immediately noticed that there was a regular poster who would boil his 5512 and post pictures and other documention presented as scientific method. He would even take the watch from boiling water and place it directly in a beaker of water and place it the freezer only to thaw it out and show that it still worked perfectly. He claimed to want to demonstrate the ruggedness and durability of his treasured watch and claimed to send reports of such directly to rolex and rolex, na. He would fiercely argue with people who dared challenge his brilliant mind and methods. "You don't understand science if you believe what I'm doing harms this watch or dries out seals!".

Then one day i noticed that his constantly boiled watch wasn't the same watch. There was a ding on a lug which wasn't there when he posted pictures of his next boiling session.

im no chem or materials engineer but even I was able to figure out that he discovered a way to artificially create the highly desired "tropical" look for older subies lol.

i hope we don't have any watch boilers around here. :)

image.jpg
  2. Spy You know my name. Jul 31, 2013

It is amusing to see owners post their experiments involving boiling a watch or putting it in the dishwasher or washing machine to demonstrate how superior that watch is. These posts are sort of like reality watch TV.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 1, 2013

citizenrich likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 1, 2013

Cool old commercials. Pin lever movements are very robust, but personally not my thing. By the way the archer's form is terrible...

Cheers, Al

citizenrich likes this.