Forums Latest Members

Boeing 737 Max Aircraft - Would You Fly On One?

1. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 13, 2024

DEI/ESG WTF?

kkt likes this.
  2. RevZMan123 Mar 13, 2024

You mean not hiring someone based on their merit and ability? Gee, what could go wrong? Not to mention hiring decisions based upon race, gender, etc is ILLEGAL, period.

3. samweldspoorly Mar 13, 2024

Just looking at mortality in the study, "Crashes of general aviation aircraft account for 85 percent of all aviation deaths in the United States. The crash rate for male pilots, as for motor vehicle drivers, exceeds that of crashes of female pilots," If anything, more female pilots today would mean its safer. Yes, it would be nice to have more and more recent data. And yes its a complex problem with a lot of variables i.e. age. I doubt theres much of a delta in findings to a study today.

I also am getting the impression most studies are meaningless to you based off your comments so far. :whistling: The ‘DEI is making airplane travel unsafe’ theory has gone from a fringe view to a staple of the US rightwing news propaganda and thus should be discarded especially when you have hard data you can review in a study. "Males had a higher rate of accidents than females, and a higher portion of the male accidents resulted in fatalities or serious injuries than for females." - G.J. Vail,L.G. Ekman

GuiltunderGlass likes this.
  4. samweldspoorly Mar 13, 2024

How are you visually discerning the pilot and first officer's merit and ability when you board a plane? Honestly asking.

kkt likes this.
  5. RevZMan123 Mar 13, 2024

Yeah Ok, Whoopie Goldberg and Rachel Maddow are not legal experts.

6. RevZMan123 Mar 13, 2024

You're not being honest, you're trying to find a way to call me some sort of negative -ist.

Good day, sir.

7. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Mar 13, 2024

My experience with hiring is that there is a level of subjectivity. Everyone who makes it to the interview is qualified: they have the required education, experience and certification. A panel interview is intended to determine who will fit into the team. It is rare that each interviewer agrees on who will be the best potential employee.

There are many benefits for a business to having a diverse staff. I won't attempt to highlight those. My point is that it is not possible to design an exam to objectively rank individuals based on merit. That's an illusion. There are too many elements that make up a great employee, whether a pilot, doctor, engineer, police officer or accountant.

Last thing is something many people who agree with above might still disagree with the following. Given two or more equal candidates (meaning either of them could do the job, which is generally the situation), you should hire the person who has a different background than your current team, which often means white male. This is completely different than hiring someone who isn't the best candidate simply because they are not a white male.

Last thing. There's no way that the best people in the past have always been hired and they have always been white males. Even the Mecury 7 weren't the best and hired solely by merit. They were among the best, but the black pilot candidates and female pilot candidates who took the same tests and who scored higher results were not allowed to participate.

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 13, 2024

Echoes of the (excellent) film Michael Clayton.

Omegafanman likes this.
  9. Bruce235 Mar 13, 2024

This is turning into a political/ ideological thread and likely won't end well.

Zman4eva and Omegafanman like this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 13, 2024

Yea, I would suggest people take that to facebook as it doesn’t really belong here.

Zman4eva and Omegafanman like this.
  11. samweldspoorly Mar 13, 2024

12. samweldspoorly Mar 13, 2024

13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 13, 2024

To the original question posed here. Yes, absolutely.

14. 140dave Mar 13, 2024

Just rode one Sunday. My wife is on one now and I’ll be on another max in a couple of days. I think that’s a yes to the OP question.

15. Evitzee Mar 13, 2024

Not likely, killing this whistleblower isn't going to make the scrutiny of Boeing go away. It probably intensifies it. And it's hard to stage a suicide in the cab of a pickup truck in a hotel parking lot. Looking at the history of John Barnett it appears he was wound tighter than a $2 watch, and was so for many years. The spring eventually snapped.

Dsloan likes this.
  16. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 13, 2024

Killing the whistleblower would be an ideal solution for the current crop of Boeing leaders. Their short term thinking landed them exactly where they are.

samweldspoorly likes this.
  17. Evitzee Mar 13, 2024

You really think one or more of the Boeing leaders decided that topping this guy via a paid contract hit was going to be the solution to their problems? And when the hitman is identified they are going to, what, say they know nothing about it? You are watching too many murder mysteries on tv.

Dsloan likes this.
  18. gbesq Mar 13, 2024

If they really wanted to kill him, wouldn't it have been easier for Boeing to gift him a lifetime of free travel on the Max with the proviso that he would always be assigned an exit row seat next to the door?

KeithS, ghce, Bruce235 and 5 others like this.
  19. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 13, 2024

I think you need to take a reading comprehension class. I said nothing about my opinion on killing the whistleblower, I only commented on the current crop of Boeings leadership.

Archer and samweldspoorly like this.
  20. samweldspoorly Mar 13, 2024

Imagine making it your life's purpose to make Boeing pay for their misbehavior and be held accountable after they pushed you out and made you persona non grata. You spent your entire career in quality to be a voice for the customer and just got absolutely shit on in the August of your career when they should have been giving you a speedy and a cake sendoff to go enjoy retirement. Nothing would fire me up more and make me ultra determined to see that trial through to the end just to flip the bird one last time to the corporate giant that cut every possible corner just so they could to save a buck.

He still had testimony to give next week. Nothing would make me want to live MORE than testifying against those who invalidated my entire life's work.

Zman4eva, ghce, Tony C. and 2 others like this.