Forums Latest Members

Boeing 737 Max Aircraft - Would You Fly On One?

1. Tayne Mar 12, 2024

I would have suspected turbulence but LATAM are stating it was a "technical event".

2. RevZMan123 Mar 12, 2024

3. Pastorbottle Mar 12, 2024

He should’ve used a “silent” dog whistle :D

RevZMan123 likes this.
  4. Malthus101 Mar 13, 2024

Hell no to flying on ANY Boeing now - Airbus only from now on.

They offshored it all to India and now everything is falling apart - bye bye Boeing.

Another flight KL791 had to turn around and return to Amsterdam airport just the other day after declaring an emergency, a 777-300.

Not only do I want to be able to confirm what plane I am flying on from now on, I also want to see my crew so I can determine if they are also up to the job or not.

Pity I have no control over the air-traffic control...

samweldspoorly likes this.
  5. josiahg52 Mar 13, 2024

Do you know how many flights there are each day? Do you know how many incidents occur every day? How many of those are a result of aircraft design issues, crew mistakes, poor maintenance, lack of maintenance, weather? What qualifies you to judge your flight crew, their ability, competence, experience, training, qualification just by looking at them? I think people need to get a grip and look past what the media has chosen to cover and start applying some critical thinking skills if present.

noelekal and Dsloan like this.
  6. Malthus101 Mar 13, 2024

I and I alone will be the judge of everything when it comes to preserving my own life.

7. josiahg52 Mar 13, 2024

Very true. You're judging wrongly, of course, given the situation and facts before you. Your solution isn't even risk averse. It's nativity and abject fear that is controlling you. I'd suggest you simply not fly any longer, but like you said, you're the judge of what's safest for you.

8. Malthus101 Mar 13, 2024

lol no you're completely wrong, but that's OK.

9. samweldspoorly Mar 13, 2024

I understand the vast safety statistics even with the recent Boeing occurances. Still makes me a little uneasy to board a 737. I had 142 flights last year, mostly US regional Delta. When booking, I always look at the A/C listed per leg for seating arrangements and if all things being equal, will opt for the Airbus, Embraer, and Bombardier over the Boeing. If its a matter of getting a FC upgrade, the 737/717/757 is back on the menu. Thats been my modus operundi since the MAX debacle in 2018. I know statistically, its near completely safe. But I still find myself changing my market behavior. And I think the Boeing stock price is reflecting similar market sentiment.

kkt, fiberguy and Malthus101 like this.
  10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 13, 2024

It’s always best to determine qualifications based on appearance ::censored::.

ChrisN likes this.
  11. Malthus101 Mar 13, 2024

Don't worry your little self about it. ;)

12. Evitzee Mar 13, 2024

As always, people are getting all wound up and letting their emotions rule their thinking. There are over 10,000 Boeing aircraft flying around the world and to conclude that flying any Boeing plane now is actually ratcheting up your risk is irrational. I'm more concerned with ongoing maintenance, fake parts, pilot readiness/training and the air traffic control system than I am with the design and construction of any particular plane. I believe a lot of this is a hangover from the disastrous policies of Covid, shutting down economies like governments did put a tremendous strain on supply chains, training, and manpower levels which they are still struggling with today.

Some people have now decided that driving is safer than flying, that's just ridiculous. There hasn't been a US commercial airline crash since 2009 (Colgan flight 3407 and that was a Bombardier), there have been about 600,000 traffic fatalities since then. Do the math.

Everybody has to make their own decisions regarding their safety, I try to keep a level head and not let my emotions carry the day. Carry on.

Dsloan and samweldspoorly like this.
  13. Malthus101 Mar 13, 2024

Boeing DESERVE to go out of business for the decisons they've made.

There are videos of the team who build the aircraft... saying they wouldn't fly on it.

Let that sink in.

14. Evitzee Mar 13, 2024

If they were really serious they would quit working for Boeing, why would anyone continue to work for a company that was turning out a product that puts people at risk? But they won't quit because they like the money.

15. Malthus101 Mar 13, 2024

Yeah money. It's a job.

16. samweldspoorly Mar 13, 2024

Yeah, I am also curious to what kind of visual criteria you are using to determine job competency.

TBH, I love seeing all women crews. Statistically more likely not to crash, make fatal mistakes or suicide/homicide the A/C. It should also not come to shock you that female physicians are safer than male physicians for the same reasons. They make less fatal mistakes.

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2001/gender-aviation-crashes

Omegafanman likes this.
  17. samweldspoorly Mar 13, 2024

@That sink can come back with a warrant.

But you're right, they should go out of business. Problem is Boeings comercial progam as well as the entire US airline industry functions more like a bank than public transit. Also, our government would bail them out to keep the economy from taking a hit. So you and I, the taxpayers, will cover the cost of greedy corporations once again.

18. RevZMan123 Mar 13, 2024

Welcome to DEI/ESG

19. samweldspoorly Mar 13, 2024

Whats wrong with DEI in commercial aviation? Whats your reaction to seeing DEI when you board a plane? Say the quiet part out loud now.

20. RevZMan123 Mar 13, 2024

TBF, this is a 20 year old study, with 30 year old data. Female pilot numbers have doubled since then but the numbers are still woefully tiny. The average is 7% between private and commercial. These studies are meaningless to me since the datasets feel contrived and begun with a certain outcome in mind. 25%/75% split then matched 1:2? That's not representative of reality at the time, let alone now.