Blueing

Posts
88
Likes
48


Hi All Came across this watch for sale for 4800 us dollars....
Can someone explain to me the blue transformation on the markers and omega symbol? Thanks
 
Posts
2,340
Likes
1,460
Quick Google search

Surface Oxidation: Microscopic layers of corrosion or tarnish on plated brass or nickel components can refract light like an oil slick on water, creating a blue or purple tint.

Plating Breakdown: The microscopic top layer of flash-plating or galvanic coating has worn thin or chemically shifted over decades of air exposure
 
Posts
88
Likes
48
Quick Google search

Surface Oxidation: Microscopic layers of corrosion or tarnish on plated brass or nickel components can refract light like an oil slick on water, creating a blue or purple tint.

Plating Breakdown: The microscopic top layer of flash-plating or galvanic coating has worn thin or chemically shifted over decades of air exposure
ok thanks so its the plating that wares off. so the next stage could be rust?
 
Posts
2,340
Likes
1,460
ok thanks so its the plating that wares off. so the next stage could be rust?
Usually the indexes are brass except on higher end models which may be gold. Probably just the surface plating thats affected
 
Posts
6,787
Likes
10,443
Yellow Constellation indices are made of gold. Exceptionally ‘silver’ arrowheads are white gold but usually ‘silver’ arrowheads are rhodium plating over base metal.
 
Posts
3,646
Likes
7,756
IMHO the indexes on a high grade watch (and expensive at the time of sale) like this Constellation are solid white gold. Even solid gold can tarnish over a long period as we can see even on solid gold cases...
 
Posts
6,787
Likes
10,443
IMHO the indexes on a high grade watch (and expensive at the time of sale) like this Constellation are solid white gold. Even solid gold can tarnish over a long period as we can see even on solid gold cases...
Are we saying that all ‘silver’ Constellation arrowhead indices are white gold?
(@cristos71) - as opposed to all Constellation ‘silver’ indices are white gold?

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere (most likely Desmond’s blog) that the the ‘silver’ stick indices on the 60s Constellations that I have are rhodium plated not solid white gold.

Or is it a 50s / 60s time period thing, regardless of indices style.
 
Posts
1,021
Likes
4,117
I believe it’s more likely due to a thin layer of patina/tarnish combined with the angle of the photograph, creating an optical reflection, rather than the metal actually oxidizing and turning blue.
 
Posts
1,021
Likes
4,117
In my opinion, silver reacts with sulfur compounds in the air to form silver sulfide. The resulting tarnish usually progresses from a light yellowish tone to brown, and eventually to black.


White gold, on the other hand, does not normally oxidize in the same way because gold itself is highly resistant to oxidation. White gold is an alloy, commonly mixed with metals such as palladium or nickel, and is often rhodium-plated to give it a bright white appearance. As that plating wears with age, the underlying metal usually appears slightly warm or yellowish-grey rather than blue.


Another point worth considering is that the star appears to be made from the same, or at least a very similar, material as the hour markers. If the blue coloration were truly caused by oxidation, wouldn’t we expect the hour markers to show a similar blue coloration as well? In fact, several of the hour markers already seem to have some tarnish on them, and I wonder whether those areas might also appear bluish when viewed from a different angle. 🤩
 
Posts
6,787
Likes
10,443
I can't speak for arrowheads but one of our Yorkshire members has/had a SS-cased stick-index 14381 whereby the star had turned almost black but the rest of the indices were left untouched.
No idea what caused only the star to turn dark.
 
Posts
284
Likes
1,098
In my opinion, silver reacts with sulfur compounds in the air to form silver sulfide. The resulting tarnish usually progresses from a light yellowish tone to brown, and eventually to black.


White gold, on the other hand, does not normally oxidize in the same way because gold itself is highly resistant to oxidation. White gold is an alloy, commonly mixed with metals such as palladium or nickel, and is often rhodium-plated to give it a bright white appearance. As that plating wears with age, the underlying metal usually appears slightly warm or yellowish-grey rather than blue.


Another point worth considering is that the star appears to be made from the same, or at least a very similar, material as the hour markers. If the blue coloration were truly caused by oxidation, wouldn’t we expect the hour markers to show a similar blue coloration as well? In fact, several of the hour markers already seem to have some tarnish on them, and I wonder whether those areas might also appear bluish when viewed from a different angle. 🤩
https://www.matthewbaininc.com/product-page/omega-constellation-stainless-steel-ref-2852-11-sc

You can view more images here to get a better idea of the blueing - looks similar on the Omega logo/markers.

OP if you are considering this watch please note the dial surface condition is mediocre, I suspect it would look worse in person. The tension ring is corroded so maybe some moisture was involved. The seconds hand is also a replacement.

 
Posts
284
Likes
1,098
I forgot to add the crown is a service replacement and the buckle included is much later, not original as the seller states, it looks like one I would associate with the late 60s/70s.
 
Posts
3,646
Likes
7,756
Or is it a 50s / 60s time period thing
This might be worth considering...

When I worked on my book for the 30 mm chronometres I had several parts samples examined at the Salzburg University in order to clarify what kind of plating was used for the movement plates and bridges.

Out of curiosity I also sent a dial of a stainless steel chronometre with "white" roman indices to have them analyse the chemical composition and guess what the result was: it was white gold!
This led me to my statement in my former response - I think in the early "luxury version dials" of the Constellation (think arrowheads indices or similar) it was really solid white gold (and yellow or rose gold on the gold models). Maybe on later Connies with stick indices it was changed?
 
Posts
10,073
Likes
57,388
I’m enjoying the discussion about the materials used for the arrowheads markers. One thing I’m sure is that they are spectacular and I have another one coming in the next few days.