Forums Latest Members

Big problem with Z-33 Spacemaster

1. Fleetlord Aug 2, 2022

So my Z-33 battery failed and I replaced it myself without problem...until I screwed the last screw of the case back down. It wouldn't go flush. So I didn't want to force it so I tried to back it out to try again, but it's locked in place. Not budging at all.

I tried unscrewing the other screws to take pressure off but to no avail. That screw is stuck.

The watch is totally wearable as the back is secured tightly and the screw is just barely off from being flush, but next time the battery goes, it won't come out to get to battery compartment.

Bigger concern here is due to design of the watch, this might need a case replacement if the threads are messes up or the screw is galled. It being titanium, that could end up costing more than another pre-owned z-33!

Has anyone had this happen? If so what was resolution?

2. Omega-Q Aug 3, 2022

Do you have access to a boutique or watchmaker? You could have possibly cross threaded it. For piece of mind, I’d want it flush. Not a lot of Z-33 owners that I am aware of….

3. wsfarrell Aug 3, 2022

Given that the case is titanium, there's a chance the threads are galled, in addition to possibly being cross-threaded. If this were mine, I'd send it to Omega.

watchyouwant likes this.
  4. Fleetlord Aug 3, 2022

I agree. I'll send it into Omega down the road, but I pretty much think it's going to need a case replacement and that will doom the watch as it won't be worth repairing...bummer.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 4, 2022

New case is around $3k...

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2022

If I ever buy a Z-33, I think based on this thread I’ll make sure to pay someone with good public liability insurance coverage to change the battery.

MtV likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 4, 2022

Just send it to Omega.

jaguar11 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  8. Nono01 Aug 4, 2022

Ouch, don't mean to bring salt to the wound, but it could be that you have cross threaded. But on the other hand, Titanium is not that soft and I bet that it takes a lot more force to cross threat the threads on that case. I would send it to Omega just in case, but I think that you just jammed the screw in there

9. BarbVl Aug 4, 2022

In the past i also thought that it can't be very difficult to replace a battery but on some watches it is better for a professional to do it..

10. Fleetlord Aug 5, 2022

Some good news…I got the screw out by using a Panerai style screwdriver. I actually think that particular screw is the issue as I swapped screws and a different screw fit fine in the hole I thought was totally buggered. So, now to find an OEM screw

Doc Olives, fiberguy and chrisb732 like this.
  11. Nono01 Aug 5, 2022

Great news. As for the screw, I'm sure @Archer can provide some info/help where to get OEM screws

12. Deafcon Omega Qualified Aug 5, 2022

I was on the extranet this morning already when I came across this message thread
    SCREW S1.40 ØH2.20 L3.40 TI-GR5
    107TI3365
    also listed as
    107VE3365A this might be a screw kit as the first part number is a component of this part number

It might be hard to find these out in the wild. This the size information:
    DIAMETER HEAD D2 : 2.20 MM
    DIAMETER THREAD D1 :S1.4
    HEAD : CYLINDR SCR DH
    LENGTH L1 :2.40 MM
    LENGTH L2 : 3.40 MM
    SLOT TYPE : FLAT
    TIP :FLAT

Doc Olives likes this.
  13. Fleetlord Aug 5, 2022

Wow..Great info. Thanks!!

14. tikkathree Aug 6, 2022