Forums Latest Members

Best packing and shipping practices?

1. Evitzee Mar 7, 2023

I say, 'it's not fragile unless it's run over by a steamroller', that usually gets a chuckle and answers the question. They should never ask what is in the package, they are really only concerned with no-no items like drugs and alcohol, and lithium batteries in an air shipment. Never say the word 'watch', just fill in the small white form with the address of sender and receiver, and the amount of coverage you want (up to $50,000). The clerk will do the rest. PS...always use water activated paper tape on all seams, there should be no open seams visible. The tape will be stamped repeatedly to expose any tampering in transit.

High value registered parcels won't be delivered overnight, the transit is slowed down because of added security along the way. Figure up to a week to get a delivery to a US address.

Edited Mar 7, 2023
    felsby and wagudc like this.
  2. Anthony Lane Mar 7, 2023

You can write “do not crush” on the package and that hopefully will deter any USPS employee from mishandling, but I never declare what’s in the box.

I also always get signature confirmation or registered so that I know the package was delivered, then a buyer cannot claim it wasn’t.

3. Cayohuesovespa Mar 7, 2023

Agreed with most, send it at least air/express etc. Or registerd and insured for full value. Make sure you pack well. If it's not packed and gets broken inside the box they won't fill a claim.
    I ship from FedEx location to FedEx location. I go to the FedEx hub and send express to the closest actual FedEx hub address with the recipient's name on it So they have to physically pick it up and sign... No drivers to worry about. The next one only insure jewelry for $1,000 though... There are different services that ship FedEx in will insure for full value...
    So far so good. Haven't lost or broken one yet. Knock on wood!

4. chronolux Mar 23, 2023

i use peanuts and bubble wrap and a solid box. i place the authenticity cards in a bubble folder so it doesn’t get crushed.

i would invested in shipping insurance and require a signature. that way, the customer cannot claim they never received the package.

5. josiahg52 Mar 23, 2023

I ship USPS Registered Mail Restricted Delivery. Not particularly quick or cheap but it always gets there. I don't call it fragile and I don't say what's in the box. Full value insurance to protect myself. Bubble wrap, craft paper, shredded cardboard. I don't use peanuts or popcorn because I hate the stuff and don't want a buyer to have to deal with it. Shipped four watches that way and everyone approved and was happy with the packing and delivery experience.

6. bonzodog Mar 24, 2023

Bubble wrap ,lots of it ,inside a cardboard box covered in brown parcel tape.I make it look a bit tatty in the hope light fingered types pay no attention to it.

7. RainMAN 777 Mar 30, 2023

That looks like it will help from moving and has a hard shell. Nice. the link is dead so how much was it?

Edited Mar 30, 2023
    NT931 and Horoticus like this.
  8. pbook4g5 Mar 30, 2023

Not sure where you are located, but they sell these hard shell padded cases at Harbor Freight here in the United States for pretty cheap

9. RainMAN 777 Mar 30, 2023

I have bought few watches from expertswatches.com and they always send it with the watch case, bubbled, pillows in Fedex 2nd boxes very nicely packaged. Never had a issues, they actually package it much better than Omega service center, but the watch case they use, other than the logo is very similar to the omega service box. As it was stated before you dont want the watch to be moving around, you dont want the watch package to be moving around. plus you want the crystal to be well protected. Per my understanding you can buy the packaging from them https://expertswatches.com/products/experts-watches-watch-box-travel-service-case-with-foam-inserts-zipper-red

upload_2023-3-30_13-39-57.jpeg s-l1600.jpg s-l1601.jpg
    Mark020 likes this.
  10. RainMAN 777 Mar 30, 2023

Thank you, i am in CA

11. chronolux May 23, 2023

I use peanuts, wrapping bubble and pay for insurance. The insurance requires a signature upon delivery. If they don't sign, I get the watch back.

12. PiaGodoy Jul 25, 2023

Hi there. Do all delivery services provide that option? or do you use some particular?

Edited Aug 6, 2023
  13. josiahg52 Jul 25, 2023

USPS Registered Mail is the only one I know where you, the sender, specify the specific individual that must sign for the package, the receiver/addressee. The USPS is very strict about that. Most other services require a signature at delivery but that could be any person at the address when delivery is attempted or made. I only use Registered Mail and ship within the US.

My experience is that for FedEx hold at a location, they will also require an ID and signature.

Edited Jul 25, 2023
    PiaGodoy likes this.
  14. PiaGodoy Jul 25, 2023

I am just new to this topic that is why decided to clarify it.

15. PiaGodoy Jul 25, 2023

Now I see. Thank you very much!

16. koppsg Sep 26, 2023

This is great advise! I'll be visiting my local FedEx soon. Thank you.

ATWG likes this.
  17. TiccTacc Sep 29, 2023

The most important topic is insurance and especially the recent (2021) & GLOBAL changes of the small print of all major shipping companies like UPS, FEDEX and DHL (and many many others). Watches are Valore2 goods and are per definition since 2021 "forbidden goods" in their GTC if the value is above 500 Euro.

This means before 2021 you got at a value of e.g. 600 Euro a compensation of 500. Since the change you get Zero (0) Euro.

This applies also, if you chose a higher insurance to 2500 or e.g. any other value. It remains forbidden goods and spending on extra insurance at the companies is thus a waste of money.

Although lost or stolen parcels are rare ( especially if you really constantly take care of the tracking AND interfere ASAP if something goes wrong) an external watch insurance or insurance broker is recommended. For private people its very limited options.

Edited Sep 29, 2023
  18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 30, 2023

I now use Apple AirTags in the shipment.

felsby and Mark020 like this.
  19. TiccTacc Sep 30, 2023

Thats a nice idea ! Anyhow if the watch is stolen from the parcel you wont have a good result. Important thus to always double box watches - to avoid the outer hull is opened by a knife and someone pulls out a small wrapped watch. With a second box inside this can be avoided.

Another important thing. Use tank tape in white color. This looks very neutral on a white box - looks like clean pharma/hygenic product shipping. And it avoids hard contrasts like black on white/brown or brown on white ect.

The tank tape in white has a second advantage - you need to order on purpose. So nobody at UPS et al is carrying white tank tape to plaster afterwards a ripped parcel back to an original looking parcel.

Always tape 360.

16960852100552223366623712007650.jpg
    Edited Sep 30, 2023
    felsby likes this.
  20. artek Oct 17, 2023

This all the way.