Forums Latest Members

Best packing and shipping practices?

1. drose224 Nov 29, 2023

Nothing I dislike more than receiving a watch wrapped in bubble wrap covered in tape. Almost impossible to unravel !!!

2. sheepdoll Nov 29, 2023

I thought this was clever. Usefull too.

IMG_4262.png

Syrte likes this.
  3. ansoa-66 Dec 21, 2023

I would advise secursus as a insurance company and ship it without any major words on the description like "Omega".

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 21, 2023

Have you ever received an insurance payment from Secursus? It seems they’ve never paid out a claim to anyone, judging by the complete lack of anyone reporting a successful claim. On the contrary I seem to recall we’ve had plenty of testimony about the many loopholes in their contracts.

5. ansoa-66 Dec 21, 2023

I had one case opened with secursus and I got my money back. I can easily say that I have insured 50+ packages and only one got lost.~

In the beginning the lady that was handling the case raised some questions on why I opened the case a few months before I sent all files (I opened the case, saw what was needed and then, when I had it all I sent them the info. To be honest, when I "opened the case" I didn't knew I was opening it).

For me it was very simple. I had a video of packing (they didn't ask for it), I had photos of the package, the label, the claim and the response ou the courier.

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 22, 2023

That’s worth posting in other threads mentioning Secursus, as it looks you beat their system by mistake when you opened the case early.
    There are other people who waited until they knew the package was lost for sure, and by that time the very short Secursus deadline to file a case was closed.

DaveK likes this.
  7. ansoa-66 Dec 23, 2023

I remember reading something regarding dates but I can't tell you for sure now.

But let me crack down time spaces for you. On late august, I sent the package. I felt something was wrong middle September because it hadn't arrive and the package was going in an out of the country. I got anxious and then I opened the "case" on secursus, saw the files and presented a claim with DHL. DHL only replied on January. The lady from secursus asked me why I opened the case so early and I explained her and it was absolutely fine, no major questions were raised.

If you want my advise, as soon as you spot something wrong, open the case. It doesn't hurt you and if anything, you can say "I clicked by mistake".

8. blubarb Jan 5, 2024

Something of a very strange dialogue with Secursus, but ultimately I got a straight answer...I think...

Question:
    Thank you I understand that, but my question is that your terms and conditions say “in any case within 14 days of shipment." Some shippers take 20 days. So you are saying a claim or notification must be made between 3 days and the most 14 days?
    what is the situation where the shipper, say Australia Post Standard takes four weeks to deliver an item from Australia to an international destination?

response:
    " That is what I explained to you, you must open a claim within 14 days, even if you know that your parcel is not lost and will be delivered
    Kind regards,
    ..."

It's certainly not clear by any means, but there it is...from the Accounts and Claim Manager herself.

Syrte and DaveK like this.
  9. Malthus101 Feb 16, 2024

That's a good tip about the large box, very good tip.

10. Malthus101 Feb 16, 2024

Can you explain a bit more why that is considered the safewest way? thanks

11. Malthus101 Feb 16, 2024

What I hate is when the post office ask what's inside, I REALLY hate that! I posted something from Thailand once and there it's even worse - they force you to leave the package with them, OPEN (!) so that they can inspect the contents before they close the package with STRING!! Remarkably that package I sent did arrive safely at it's destination country in Europe. I was biting my nails the whole time (it wasn't contraband of any sort lol)

So what to tell the Post Office when they ask what is it and it's a watch wtih high value that obviously needs expensive insurance on it?

12. josiahg52 Feb 16, 2024

USPS Registered Mail provides step by step security as the package moves through the system. If it's not in an employee's hands, it's under specific and dedicated lock and key with restricted access. Insurance cover are limits are higher. I ship watches I sell Registered with Restricted Delivery. It is a bit slower and costs more but I want to ship them this way and I pay for it because I insist on it. Sometimes they don't want to wait. That's their choice and at their additional risk. If I ship outside of the US - not my preference - it's agreed that it's at the buyer's cost and risk although I will help if and when I can. I could probably sell a few more watches more quickly if I didn't have such strict policies.

In the US, nothing. Just the insurance coverage you want. You also certify there's no liquid, perishable, explosive, flammable, radioactive, etc, etc. That's all.

13. Malthus101 Feb 16, 2024

Yeah it's also lithium batteries they seem concerned about (I think a lot of these new toys coming out of China are made poorly and can burst into flanes without warning)

14. lawler Feb 24, 2024

Always insured and packed how I would like to receive one.

15. drster Mar 15, 2024

Double box. With padding so nothing can wiggle around. Most insurance shipping services have requirements on how to package.

16. sheepdoll May 11, 2024

IMG_4453.png
    I thought this was clever. Shipping the balance bridge in two taped together small crystals packed with cotton fluf. Came from France and took forever to arrive but worth the wait.

17. RainMAN 777 May 11, 2024

very different, hopefully you can use the crystals? lol

sheepdoll likes this.
  18. sheepdoll Jul 11, 2024

Terrible way to ship a watch -- just jump it in a bag.

IMG_4576.png
    Tangled up the hairspring. IMG_4577.png

Looked decent in the auction photo
    332_BalPrvSmall.png

At least I got the parts for a good price as seller accepted my offer. No one really reads the eBay feedback anyway.

Oh well these are practice parts anyway. Into the "future projects" assortments they will go ...

(thought there was a thread for worst shipping practice, but this was the only one I could find. I suspect this will show up again in the 351 parts sourcing thread.)

19. RainMAN 777 Jul 11, 2024

That is very sad since the watch was keep for all these years and was damaged due to poor attention to common since. as a vintage lover seems people are not pay attention. I bought a vintage $5000 watch internationally and was shipped in plastic bag. not even bubble?? went back.

20. sheepdoll Jul 12, 2024

It would be ticking but for the hairspring. I have most of the missing parts.

No real point in returning this. I left feedback (positive) stating Caveat Emptor. Most feedback was how fast items were shipped. Too fast in this case. Even asking for a discount would be crass. I made an offer and it was accepted. No where in the listing said the balance was good. Since balance was out of the watch in the listing, I figured the pivots were broken.

I once got a camera sent the same way no padding stuffed in a mailer. Bottom was split out. Seller indicated they were new. Was a parts camera anyway.

I noticed eBay dropped the shipping feedback (other than time) probably to many did low ratings. Or else one has to wait seven days to rate the shipping. Feedback is meaningless anyway. Bad feedback just pisses people off. No one reads it. Most of the time I do not bother. Many of the sellers I like and repeatedly use have 99% feedback anyway. It is the 100 percenters who game the system and like to complain.