Forums Latest Members

Best packing and shipping practices?

1. Anthony Lane Apr 22, 2022

thabks. You can insure through FedEx…no need to use a private company. You just check the dot that I circled in the image and then input your insured value.
    62F31902-1879-4415-B97B-14CD35F3631B.jpeg

Are folks really paying $150+ both ways to ship a watch? I don’t want to be a cheapskate but shipping is the same cost as a basic service.

7EEC4381-E91E-4E22-B222-BBCBCD945845.png

2. bmpennington Apr 22, 2022

There may be exclusions on watches. Also, I use a private company to save money since I buy and sell watches frequently.

Larry S likes this.
  3. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 22, 2022

I can't speak for others, but you should really search the forum for threads discussing insurance options. Before paying for FedEx/UPS added insurance you need to look into the terms & conditions to find their exclusions. I personally use Hodinkee (Chubb), which insures my entire collection. Through my policy, I am protected anytime I ship my watch to and from my watchmaker for service/repairs. I am also protected when I sell my watch and ship it to the new owner. With that said, I recently sold a watch for $4,800 and shipped it to the new owner FedEx, in a medium free FedEx box, for $74 total, again because I know I am protected under my insurance policy.

Joe_A, DaveK, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  4. Anthony Lane Apr 22, 2022

Great info, I will look into Hodinkee. I know that my home-owners also covers my watches (I asked), but Hodinkee sounds like a better option given the lack of deductible. Nice way to not over-pay on shipping when you declare a high value through the carrier...which really drives the price up.

5. LGW - US Apr 26, 2022

I use Box M-2 or L-2 with double boxing and between 1 and 2 boxes a lot of bubbles - work for me

6. pgalaxy May 23, 2022

I have shipped a few cheaper watches, but would still cover them tightly in bubblewrap, then shrinkwrap over that, and then put into something similar to a shoe box

felsby likes this.
  7. ALEJANDRO BOVONE Jun 9, 2022

To send a watch safely you have to put it in a large cardboard box within a reasonable cost ratio wrapped with plastic with air, this will make the content unknown, for some curious who do not have good intentions

felsby likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 9, 2022

Fed Ex has exclusions for watches and Jewelry. I still use them but my front end is Parcel Pro.

Joe_A likes this.
  9. Comtrader12 Jun 12, 2022

I do use IFS for insurance of my watches and fedex to ship.

10. norb1967 Jun 30, 2022

A larger box is a must!

davidswiss likes this.
  11. tnt9 Jul 1, 2022

For under 1000usd I use EMS. Bubblewrap, double time, cardboard box, all insured..

For over or I need it fast...DHL express....

4-5y ago I sold watch and shipped it to UK...it was lost and I didnt had insurance...so I made refund and lost 800usd...from then, always insured...

davidswiss likes this.
  12. gunners123 Jul 5, 2022

I've sold 400+ watches and have never had a watch damaged in transit - it is always worth the time to be extra scrupulous with packaging. I bubble wrap the watch inside the watch box, and then squish more wrap inside the shipping box until it's not possible for the watch box to move.

davidswiss and tnt9 like this.
  13. Bourne1984 Jul 30, 2022

Bubble wrap is your friend. Im in the U.K. so Royal Mail tracked and signed up to 2.5k, I use basic RM international and use a secondary insurance company for expensive watches which has always worked out cheaper

bonzodog and davidswiss like this.
  14. yipeeyo Aug 16, 2022

Double box. Print copies of 2 labels. Outer box gets one label, inner box gets another one. Hold for pickup at I.e. Fedex location

davidswiss likes this.
  15. davidswiss Jan 31, 2023

Just a slight warning. I googled DHL for a package being sent to Europe and landed on DHL parcel. Filled out the online forms and paid. Then got the packing labels etc. The address label shows the value of the parcel content, so no separate insurance is available via, for instance, secursus. It could be that DHL express labels are different, I don't know. As I only got the label after I'd paid there is no way around it.

felsby likes this.
  16. w154 Jan 31, 2023

Just last week I sent a package DHL express using the form available at the post office. I explained to the staff the requirements of secursus and they folded up the customs declaration and put it into a sleeve so that the contents and value couldn’t be seen. You have to ask for this though, otherwise the customs declaration just gets stuck on the outside with all contents/value information visible.

felsby, Mark020 and davidswiss like this.
  17. davidswiss Jan 31, 2023

As an update, DHL parcel has agreed to refund the payment and I'll try again tomorrow with DHL express.

felsby likes this.
  18. bikerfox Mar 7, 2023

for those living in the US, have you used USPS (us postal service)? they always ask if there's anything fragile
    or perishable in the package. what do you say and did you say "watch?" other, better options?

19. southtexas Mar 7, 2023

do not say ‘watch’ on anything or to anyone. “Precision instrument” or something similar is acceptable. If it is valuable to you, send it registered only. It takes longer but it’s safer (not 100% though).

felsby and bikerfox like this.
  20. eldiano84 Mar 7, 2023

You answer yes, when they scan it the system tells them what item they are handling but I agree with southtexas, if sending a watch through USPS send it registered. The insurance is worth alone, bit pricey but you know it will be there the next day and it's handled physically than being missent through different post offices!

bikerfox likes this.