Forums Latest Members

Best packing and shipping practices?

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 24, 2021

It’s not very cost efficient to use a 90 euro FedEx overnight shipment for a watch that’s worth 450 euros.
    Everything’s relative.

2. imfagent449 Mar 31, 2021

I am looking to ship something within the US. I am trying to understand shipping insurance. If I want to insure a wristwatch for, say 4500. Can I do that with FedEx, UPS and USPS? I am interested both in what is the maximum insurance that they will allow. Also are there any exemptions from liability for wristwatches. It seems like all three will insure up to that amount for a cost.

Has anyone looked into this? I can't seem to find anything in the thread.

3. Evitzee Mar 31, 2021

USPS up to $50,000, FedEx and UPS require third party coverage. You can use the USPS website to look at your various options (Registered or insured, which have different costs and speed).

4. abgul Apr 10, 2021

Don’t do on Friday’s. Don’t want the package moving slowly in the network.

NT931 likes this.
  5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 29, 2021

6. imfagent449 May 14, 2021

Another question. I figure someone here would know the answer.

If I want to send a watch to Italy and I want to send it insured (4000 USD) - what method could I use?

My understanding is that some shipping methods have a limit on the amount you can insure a shipment if it is to an international address.

7. MtV May 14, 2021

Secursus might be an option. Do take some time to read this thread first, though:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/anyone-ever-had-a-successful-claim-with-secursus.121761/

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 14, 2021

There are separate threads on insurance as that varies widely between carriers and countries.
    The option that gets the best reviews here is to open a account with the professional jewelery insurance company Parcel Pro but you need a US business taxpayer ID in order to do so (and you then have to use Fed Ex).
    DHL has good insurance from certain countries but not others; and it doesn’t apply to precious metals in some places.
    You just have to look at all available options, and perhaps post a dedicated thread for your question.

9. applebook Jun 4, 2021

I once received an Explorer 2 domestically in just bubble wrap inside of a plain envelope. It was shocking, but based on a thread from another forum, I've discovered that this isn't too uncommon :eek:

Please don't do this.

10. AlphaToOmega Jun 21, 2021

I recently used DHL to send a watch from the UK to the US for the first time. I felt very wary about being transparent about the actual contents of the package but used the correct codes and value of the watch (£5k+). I recorded myself packing the watch, packed the watch box in a plastic bag to avoid any water ingress (in case). Surrounded it in bubble wrap and then packaged in another box which I wrapped in brown plastic tape. I then strategically signed 'Fragile' on the tape in permanent marker so that if the package was tampered with it would have been immediately obvious to the recipient. I explained all this to the said recipient and told him to not accept the package from the courier if there was any evidence of tampering. I then also insured the package for the full amount. It arrived safe and sound and the new owner was very happy.
    Yes, slightly OTT but better to be safe than sorry.

11. Cayohuesovespa Jun 25, 2021

I like the packing instructions from ups.
    I do the same. Watch head wrapped in bubble wrap. Put into the slot without the pillow. Bubble wrap to fill inside watch box (if it has one. ). Wrap all accessories.
    Wrap watch box and accessories w bubble. Insert into med. FedEx box packed inside large box. More bubble in between. (I only use FedEx express now, safe and fast.).
    I am vague on names like the above instructions. And I use my FedEx account so I can track better and get better service with any issued that may arise.
    Name and address on label and in marker on box and an additional label on the med box in case something happens to it.
    So far so good. Knock on wood.

12. melanieux Jun 30, 2021

So I've read this thread from beginning to end.. lots of great info here.
    Does anyone have any added info/ideas/cautions/insights/updates or anything to add regarding shipping from UK to USA for current times? I read all 7 pages, but still felling a little anxious, but I'm sure that's pretty normal.
    Thanks for all the great info up to here.

13. Ubombo51 Jul 7, 2021

My sister sent me an 1890 Hunter pocket watch from South Africa. She had to use Postnet, the local DHL agent, and the watch was wrapped in cardboard, sealed with packaging tape and then sealed in a DHL envelope. She was told that Postnet do not insure heirlooms but since the watch was in very bad condition she was not worried. I followed the DHL tracking number and eventually the package arrived at East Midlands Airport DHL minus the watch. My sister has been told that in order make any claim, either for the watch and/or the shipping costs, she has to provide the original invoice for the watch. Obviously this does not exist so it appears that she will not be able to claim even her costs.

14. melanieux Jul 7, 2021

sorry to hear that - very bad news, and hopefully it doesn't happen often.

15. Tx3double Sep 15, 2021

I’ve always used a box and a TON of bubble wrap. I’ve received some that have been double boxed.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 27, 2021

One thing I really respect senders for is the use of BROWN PACKING TAPE!
    It makes it so much easier to open the package if you can see the ends of the tape.
    Clear tape makes it a real PITA to get to the goodies :mad:.
    Packing1.JPG

Another thing I like seeing is a strong cardboard box as the second layer of protection.
    But I don't remember ordering anything from Tiffany ::confused2::

Packing2.JPG

Internal packaging is just as important as the external. Here the sender has used a nest of tissues and even put them between the case and the bracelet.
    Not bad for someone who knows nothing about watches :thumbsup:.
    It was a woman though, maybe they're just good at everything :whistling:.

Packing3.JPG

Ah yes, I remember now, not Tiffany..........Citizen!

A nice original 67-9119 "Spider" with a caliber 8110, dating to August 1978.

Packing4.JPG

levkov and Syrte like this.
  17. OllieOnTheRocks Sep 27, 2021

An invoice for the pocket watch could be from anyone.. anywhere in the world (a business or private individual). I’m sure she has the invoice somewhere…

18. bmpennington Mar 25, 2022

You don't want the shipping box to secure the inner box. Use bubble wrap or package paper.

19. Anthony Lane Apr 22, 2022

When choosing an amount to insure your watch for, are you comping recent sales on the same watch? And are you insuring it for that value? I see there's a fairly wide discrepancy in costs based on insured amount. But, saving $100 doesn't seem worth it for the peace of mind. Then again, has UPS ever lost or destroyed your watch?

20. bmpennington Apr 22, 2022

I would only use FedEx and they only insure up to $1k. You need to use a private insurance company, but that ships via FedEx. I use IFS Infosure. Also, I always insure for the retail value. I hope this helps!