Forums Latest Members

Beautiful day to ride a bike!

1. gostang9 Oct 11, 2017

Not really...

Wooded area within 5 miles of the bridge linking Windsor, Ontario with Detroit, Michigan. Maybe the type of trees is very similar?

2. gostang9 Oct 11, 2017

One question, what is the biggest reason why a separate computer is better than simply using your phone and a GPS connected app?

3. gostang9 Oct 11, 2017

Here is a summary of a ride my friend and I did two days ago, I mounted my iPhone 6 on my handlebar and had the “Map My Fitness” app running while we rode. It kept very good track of where we rode (you’ll see we rode right next to the Detroit river) and through various inter-connected trails in the woods. For my sake, this app seemed to track anything I needed and I’m not sure what value a computer would add (other than more data for us data-nuts)... IMG_2120.JPG

4. Wetworks Oct 11, 2017

Biggest reason to me is battery life. I started cycling and utilized Cyclemeter, did a pretty good number on my phone battery. That said, if you are simply throwing your phone in your pocket and not looking at it, then I guess you would be ok battery-wise.

I did an 85 mile ride the other day to Bear Mt and back, with active route direction. I still had 60% battery left on the ELEMNT. My friend was running Strava on his phone and saw it go down to 6% at the end of the ride.

gostang9 and Baco Noir like this.
  5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 11, 2017

And a very good question!

For me, sometimes I ride in wet and dirty conditions, and the Element is much more resilient. If I crashed, too, the smaller, tougher Element is better. There's also multiple screen display options with the element, and also including graphic displays of a percent grade, speeds, etc. that I can pull up with the push of a button.. it's very intuitive...
    ... and then the power usage issues already mentioned by @Wetworks :thumbsup:..

Edited Oct 11, 2017
    Wetworks and gostang9 like this.
  6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 11, 2017

Gee.. amazing how similar it seems in your photos... and I thought I was a good biome reader! :rolleyes:

gostang9 likes this.
  7. Baco Noir Oct 11, 2017

Crash risk and water resistance are the primary reasons for me and battery life is also a concern.

Wetworks and gostang9 like this.
  8. BPD Oct 11, 2017

Did a solo 8 hour mountain bike race a couple of weeks ago. Still hurting today :taunt:
    Giant Anthem Advanced - 5.jpg

Omega1, Mad Dog, Wryfox and 2 others like this.
  9. neilfrancis Oct 21, 2017

Micropump holder is the perfect fit for a day on the juice. Pegoretti Marcelo x Aspire. IMG_8867.JPG

gophishin, Mad Dog and Wetworks like this.
  10. Wetworks Nov 11, 2017

New Bike day!!! Actually it was 4 days ago, but I finally got in a decent ride on the Specialized Fuse Comp. MTB is a completely new discipline for me, so I'm starting off slowly with a hardtail for trail riding. First day out the crank failed (yes, failed) while I was pedaling. At first I thought I came unclipped, but then I looked back and saw the driveside crank on the ground and was like WTF. Went back to the LBS today and they installed a new (and different brand) crank. They'll contact Specialized on my behalf.

[​IMG]

Edited Nov 11, 2017
    Omega1, neilfrancis and Mad Dog like this.
  11. Moadib Nov 11, 2017

Another huge supporter of ELEMNT. Really easy to configure and use, and excellent being able to zoom in/out of the information you need. Just power / HR when climbing, add in others on the flat as needed etc.

Lovely day here for a bike ride too!

Bike-Scot.jpg

Omega1, Mad Dog and Wetworks like this.
  12. wsfarrell Nov 22, 2017

Fatboy visits Manresa Beach, California.
    The bike is nice, too. :) fat1.jpg
    fat2.jpg

13. Moadib Nov 22, 2017

I'm not sure I've ever seen the cycling sense in a fat bike, but since I first seen them I've so wanted one. They look insanely cool. Absolutely loving that, you could ride along the beach! Looks like gearing would allow to do that too - that some impressively tiny front cog!

Wetworks likes this.
  14. wsfarrell Nov 22, 2017

Fat bikes were invented for snow, but they quickly migrated to the beach. You're right, the gearing goes really low, although it's not really necessary when you drop the tire pressure to around 5-6 PSI. Then it just floats over the sand. It's a blast.

15. neilfrancis Nov 22, 2017

My friend Luc is a Belgian ex-semi-pro. He rode on the banks of The Kuipke in Ghent. He rode with Legends. He is winning in a tough battle against Chemo & Leukaemia. And he has entrusted me with his 'World Cup 2.0' 'Crosser to ride. It is the perfect Winter road bike. Canti-brakes, massive clearances, Alu, stiff, fast, snooker-cue paint job and signed at least 20 times, Colnago. Thank you, Luc. GRINTA! IMG_9138.jpg

IMG_9138.jpg
    Wetworks likes this.
  16. TsoloT Nov 23, 2017

Forget the bike.... who or what is an ice crew ? I need one just like that to clear my path in the winter

17. Wetworks Dec 9, 2017

It's on Strava, so it happened. Just tooling around, getting a sense of how to handle the new MTB

[​IMG]

18. Passover Dec 9, 2017

Ride my bike several times each day, happy to live in one of Germanys #1 bike towns :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Edited Dec 9, 2017
    Taddyangle and Wetworks like this.
  19. TsoloT Dec 9, 2017

Love riding except when I nearly got killed by a sixteen wheeler in Miami AE1E5121-06FA-43EB-8EB8-3BCE603C16A3.jpeg

neilfrancis likes this.
  20. TsoloT Dec 9, 2017

Six months of rehab and off I went again

81D16390-496B-49EA-95CB-0C943EA541CB.jpeg
    duc, neilfrancis, Taddyangle and 3 others like this.