Forums Latest Members

Beautiful day to ride a bike!

1. BPD Jun 22, 2017

The best advice I can give to you which will not cost you a pretty penny is lose weight and just work on your cardio. Now please, I'm not calling you over weight or anything like that. Speaking from painful experience, I used to be somewhat quick and nimble on both my road and mountain bikes that was until I had my son almost two years ago. Since then I have gained almost 40 lbs and just riding up hills now is a struggle when I would just fly up them before. You can have the best bike but the bike doesn't pedal itself but if all else fails, yes, buy a new Speedmaster :thumbsup:

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 22, 2017

∆∆∆∆

@BPD You nailed it. Having just lost 35+ lbs I am in agreement. I struggled to ride my bike and it was just somewhat enjoyable. I love riding now and my speeds are up 25% since weight loss.

Thanks for the response.

3. BPD Jun 22, 2017

Wow! 35+ lbs! Amazing and congrats! :thumbsup:

Taddyangle likes this.
  4. Wetworks Jun 23, 2017

I'll echo this and add in 'ride often.' In looking at the ride you posted, your estimated average power is only 120w. Most of my rides, especially this year, average closer to 200w, with my FTP somewhere around 230-240w. So I'm always riding at a high level, even when my HR is in a moderate or tempo zone. Really, the question you should be seeking to answer is how can I be a stronger rider, not a faster one. The latter will follow with the former.

As for buying things to help, I would've skipped the bar and stem and went with wheels. That's probably the single biggest upgrade you can make which will show tangible benefits. I'd add a power meter at some point as well just to help you identify training zones. I used the very affordable PowerPod for a year or so to get started before taking the leap and getting a Pioneer crank arm system.

BPD and Taddyangle like this.
  5. gophishin Jun 23, 2017

It won't make your bike faster, but trying to buy speed/power isn't really a great approach (assuming you have a decent setup to being with, which it sounds like you do), but have you thought about working with a coach, developing a training program, and/or buying a power meter?

I am a firm believer that power meters are not for everyone, since many that have them don't actually train by them - it just ends up being more data that they don't really do anything with. But training by a specific program (which is also not for everyone) will be the best bang for your buck (and fitness) if you're trying to get faster. And having a power meter makes doing so very objective, and it can be really motivating to see the numbers and improve.

Mad Dog, Taddyangle and BPD like this.
  6. BPD Jun 24, 2017

After a two year hiatus and a bit heavier, OK much heavier, I'm currently doing my first mountain bike race of the year. I should of remained in hiatus! Been so freak'n painful and I still have one more day to ride! Knew I should of attended that UFO conference being held in the city over the weekend instead....
    IMAG0205.jpg IMAG0206.jpg

7. No.15 Jun 25, 2017

Um, besides the Blackhawks Chicago is a great city that I love to visit. We go every couple of years and enjoy ourselves immensely. I would love to ride my bike around there (I have a Lynskey road bike) and then get Italian beef for lunch :)
    Only pic I have. you can tell by my kit that I am primarily a mountain biker :)
    [​IMG]

GO Bolts!!! ;)

Edited Jun 25, 2017
    BPD, Mad Dog and Taddyangle like this.
  8. wsfarrell Jun 25, 2017

Kimo Tanaka of Davis, CA built me an InnerLight single speed. Great guy, sweet bike.

innerlight07.jpg innerlight10.jpg inner01.jpg inner06.jpg

duc, mollydooker, Mad Dog and 5 others like this.
  9. BPD Jul 2, 2017

After last weekend's body dismemberment and a nice week of healing, back on the bike today for a nice smooth easy recovery ride :thumbsup:
    IMAG0009_1.jpg

duc, Mad Dog and Taddyangle like this.
  10. Wryfox Jul 2, 2017

Did a little riding today myself. I like your choice of tires[emoji2] 410697-be59f08e184a4b89fa1175bae5e7c64b.jpg

Edited Jul 2, 2017
    duc, Mad Dog, BPD and 1 other person like this.
  11. BPD Jul 2, 2017

Thanks! The tires came stocked with the bike and so far so good :thumbsup:

12. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jul 4, 2017

Was able to hit the road for 3 hours today on my Schwinn Paramount Series 9 with a fellow teammate...and make a coffee stop at Dunkin' Donuts [one of our team sponsors]...

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

13. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jul 4, 2017

I hear you...I "attempted" to do a masters road race a few months back...I got dropped in the first 18 minutes [about a 2.5 hour road race]...blew up big time. And these were all dudes my age [45-54 age bracket]...sucks...oh well...I headed to the feed zone to hand teammates bottles.

14. BPD Jul 4, 2017

I think that you should be replacing the liquids in your water bottle with the 'liquids' from Dunkin' Donuts! God knows I would if we only had Dunkin' Donuts up here in the great north. A coffee with two creams and a shot of coconut syrup will do the trick :thumbsup:

Mad Dog likes this.
  15. Golfjunky Jul 5, 2017

Me at the top of the Pico de Veleta Sierra Nevada Spain
    [​IMG]

duc, gophishin, Hijak and 7 others like this.
  16. BPD Jul 6, 2017

Perfect evening for a quick training ride :thumbsup:
    IMAG0012_1.jpg

duc, Buckeyes#1, Wetworks and 2 others like this.
  17. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 7, 2017

Borrowed my brothers fat tire bike in Maine, and hit the trails for the Goose River.

Quite beautiful!

IMG_2399.JPG
    IMG_2431.JPG IMG_2432.JPG

Later on we located the elusive 'Belted Galloway's of Rockland, Maine.
    IMG_2404.JPG

The little one took quite a liking to my daughter..

IMG_2423.JPG

Then she nearly got a 'licking'!

Edited Jul 7, 2017
    duc, Buckeyes#1, Alpha and 4 others like this.
  18. wsfarrell Jul 7, 2017

The tires on that bike are great!

dougiedude likes this.
  19. Wetworks Jul 8, 2017

n+1 in full effect. If you aren't fast, at least look good trying. My new Venge Vias:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

duc, Buckeyes#1 and Taddyangle like this.
  20. Thrasher36 Jul 9, 2017

[​IMG]

Croweater and wsfarrell like this.