Forums Latest Members

Beautiful day to ride a bike!

1. Wetworks Sep 15, 2016

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Sep 15, 2016

Sorry if I missed someone recommending this but back in the day we always advised newbies to loosen off the cleat friction 'till they got used to them.

barmy likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2016

Thanks for pointing that out good to know, I do have an extremely sore arse after just 15 minutes riding today though admittedly thats just in gym shorts and on lumpy grass / gravel. Ordered some Mavic pants that were on sale and apparently more intended for an upright position with the pad further back so I'll see on Monday how much of a difference that makes.

Took a better pic too in the sun today

IMG_8778.JPG

Edited Sep 16, 2016
  4. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Sep 16, 2016

Have you got this bike professionally fitted/frame size chosen for you? It seems that the frame is way to big for your length. You will get a very upright position riding like that and that is one part of your butt being sore. You are not supposed to "sit" on the bike saddle. You are supposed to be suspended by your legs and abdominal muscles in a forward leaning position - with bent elbows - typically giving that the upper part of the handle bar being about 5-10 cm below the saddle. Never higher than the saddle. A too large frame height wise is also often too long - the reach from the sitting position to the bar - which it looks likely you suffer from as your saddle is pushed forward - giving you a wrong position in relation to the crank center. This can be adjusted with a shorter stem for the bar. But back to the original question - who sold you the frame?

Mad Dog and gophishin like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2016

Was bought second hand, the size of the frame is ok but the bars and seat are completely out of position at the moment, seat is so low my legs getting pinched at the top of the pedal stroke (calf muscle getting squished into thigh). The position of the bars and forward seat rail position / height was from the previous owner who was 5'11, I'm 6'2 with longer legs but I don't have all the hex keys I need to reconfigure it just yet. I also don't have a torque wrench to ensure I don't overtighten anything carbon ATM.

Edited Sep 16, 2016
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2016

Incidentally @styggpyggeno1 the arse pain isn't at my sit bones it's like 2-3 inches forward of that which is where I've been sitting with the saddle in that position.

7. Wetworks Sep 16, 2016

The bars will likely be pretty close to where they need to be I'm thinking, but yea, that seat height is out of control. I'm surprised someone 5'11" had it that low, must've had like a 28" inseam! EDIT- just went back and looked at the other pic, seems the seatpost was a lot higher. What size is the frame?

Park makes some great tools, I'd recommend getting their multi hex wrench, it will have all the sizes you need to tweak the bike at home. I'd also recommend their small torque wrench, does a good job for adjusting stuff like carbon seatposts and stems, just be sure to find out what Newton meter to use for each part. A chain cleaning system is a must, I like to use the Park one as well. Their Big Blue Book is an excellent resource to get you started on basic maintenance as well. And invest in a decent floor pump and gauge.

It's definitely an expensive hobby, the bike is only the beginning. The clothes, tools and maintenance are often overlooked by newcomers when they initially price things out. You seem to have a good handle on what to do, and I know as a watch guy you are more likely than most to conduct due diligence when research the what/whys/hows, so you will be fine.

That sounds like a friction rub, likely the result of the slammed seatpost and you having worn shorts (and presumably underwear). Stay on top of it and really keep it clean and free of further irritation, don't want to risk an infection (it happens). As for kit, I'm a huge Pearl Izumi fan, find their stuff to fit perfectly and they have different levels to fit various budgets (with expected sacrifices).

Your sit bones will be sore for the first couple of weeks or so, then you'll be fine. Also, spend the $100 or so for a decent fitting, it's crucial. This is the kind of sport/hobby that demands you start off on the right foot so as to maximize your enjoyment, otherwise the bike will become a clothes hanger.

Edited Sep 16, 2016
    Mad Dog likes this.
  8. barmy Sep 16, 2016

Don't forget tires........had a bad year.......5 fronts and 3 rears so far this year

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2016

@Wetworks Its really more deep bruising than sores or friction I was literally sitting on the fatty part of my thigh not my backside and riding it off-road on what you'd normally use a mountain bike for, its a 58cm

Wetworks likes this.
  10. Wetworks Sep 16, 2016

Gotcha. Well, be easy on the tender bits, lol.

A 58 may be a bit big depending on your proportions, but it's a relaxed geometry bike, so you should be ok, but definitely get a proper fit.

11. Dmaskeze Sep 16, 2016

No...not so good biking weather.... 1474046455546-138356433.jpg

dougiedude, Mad Dog and Wetworks like this.
  12. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Sep 18, 2016

Beautiful Sunday morning

image.jpeg

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2016

Am I the only one that thinks that orange clashes with the Beamer ::confused2::

14. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Sep 22, 2016

Could be worse ;)

[​IMG]

dougiedude and Mad Dog like this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 22, 2016

Nice ride! Oh come on ... that's just the equivalent of one watch. Like most of us the vow of "That's it." wears off after about two weeks of What Are You Wearing Today?

Mad Dog, Wetworks and Buckeyes#1 like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 22, 2016

New front wheel for the Waterford arrived yesterday and installed at lunch. image.jpeg Can't wait for my conference call to end!!!!!!!!

dougiedude, Mad Dog and Wetworks like this.
  17. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Sep 22, 2016

Never know what you might run into...

image.jpeg image.jpeg

18. trama Sep 24, 2016

Finally landed the vintage Ritchey I've been lusting after for a few years:
    image.jpg
    26 inch frame, built by Tom himself in his garage around 80-81. Eclectic parts mix, Phil Wood BB, 180mm cranks with "bailout" granny ring, the first Shimano Deore derailleurs with the stag emblem, Suntour Superbe Pro brake set, Campy downtube shifters, and some dated 27" wheels. All I cared about was the gorgeous fillet brazed frame. Ritchey originally allowed himself to use larger diameter tubes by brazing, thus freeing himself from the constraints of precast lugs and prescribed tube sets. What this means is I get to have a large steel frame that is light and stiff, unlike the usual "wet noodles". image.jpg
    I swapped out the 27" wheels for some freshly laced 700c, allowing me many hundreds more tire choices. I also went with a steel seat post and stem, for my own confidence. I weigh too much for some of my old alloy bits... image.jpg

Let's go for a ride! (Pic heavy warning)
    image.jpg
    Rode toward the coast through Pt Reyes Station. Interesting footpath crosses the southern terminus of Tomales Bay. Looking back eastward toward town, the modest timber bridge took me off the North American Plate, across the San Andreas fault, and onto the Pacific Plate! That's Black Mountain in the distance, the locals call it Elephant Hill. Take your pick.
    image.jpg
    I love the tree-tunnel effect on the paths.

Still rolling west on Bear Valley Trail, they grow em big out here in the Pt Reyes National Seashore. This is just the top of a tree that came down across the path, the trunk extends back across the creek and on up the hill! image.jpg
    Just shy of the cliffs and a view of the ocean, one last bridge. image.jpg
    Well that's it, thanks for looking. I had a pint after my excursion, I recommend it. What a beautiful day to ride a bike!

dougiedude, Larry S, Mad Dog and 4 others like this.
  19. i20rider Sep 24, 2016

Not to day gents. But soon very soon IMG_20160924_103330795_HDR.jpg

20. Wetworks Sep 24, 2016

Went on the Escape New York ride sponsored by NYCC today. Nice ride, takes you up through parts of Rockland County. This was the first time I ventured over the GW Bridge into NJ, I found it to be a bit tight (they only use one side of the bridge for peds/bike traffic, so it gets congested). Ride started out miserable as I had to ride to the ferry and then uptown in a steady, cool rain. The day eventually got better, but those winds though...

This was taken at the end at Grant's Tomb.
    [​IMG]

dsio, Buckeyes#1, dougiedude and 2 others like this.