Forums Latest Members

Beautiful day to ride a bike!

1. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Sep 8, 2016

Just wanted to post an update for my Tri bike search.
    I decided to go used, figured I could get better band for the buck.
    I chose...

Cervelo P3
    image.jpeg

Won't be buying any watches for a while.

Edited Sep 8, 2016
    smitty190373, Mad Dog and Wetworks like this.
  2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 9, 2016

I hope the recovery is going well for you, @Wetworks :thumbsup:

That was my thinking, too, but then I seem to forget that I'm not 30 yo anymore when I'm on my MTB... I crashed a few weeks ago, and cracked a couple of ribs because I was going too fast for my geriatricly impaired ability on a rooted downhill :rolleyes:...

So today, it was back to the road bike for me.

I borrowed my brothers early 1980s Italian racing bike, and took advantage of the beautiful weather:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  3. Wetworks Sep 10, 2016

Thanks @dougiedude, I'm getting there. More sore than anything else, hoping to give it a go this coming week to see how much fitness I've lost (no doubt tons, lol). Nice pics on the ride!

@Buckeyes#1 congrats on the Cervelo! Couple of guys on my regular route delight in flying past me on those. :oops: I'm sure you will love that ride! What's the groupset?

dougiedude and smitty190373 like this.
  4. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Sep 10, 2016

@Buckeyes#1 congrats on the Cervelo! Couple of guys on my regular route delight in flying past me on those. :oops: I'm sure you will love that ride! What's the groupset?[/QUOTE]

Ultegra. :thumbsup:

Mad Dog likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 14, 2016

So I don't actually technically own a bicycle at all right now, hopefully will be getting my first ever road bike tomorrow or the day after, a 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105.

However the shoes did arrive early today, given my wide ass feet and being Australian went for some Bont Vaypor S, now just need something to wear them on.

IMG_8753.JPG IMG_8756.JPG

6. Wetworks Sep 14, 2016

Very nice choice for your first road bike, excellent frame/geometry and the 105 groupset is an amazing bargain for the money, really excellent.

Have you ever wore clipless shoes before?

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 14, 2016

Never, which is why I'm going to head to a nearby park where there's a soft landing to be had until I get them figured out. The bike is used (barely) and has 105 pedals on it so it'll be SPD-SL which at least seem pretty reasonable to understand compared to some others. Also thinking of switching out the OEM 25mm tyres for some 28/30 Continentals to make it a bit more heavy rider and grass friendly.

Any tips?

Mad Dog and Wetworks like this.
  8. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 14, 2016

Tips? Yes, sir....unclip well prior to coming to a stop at a sign or a light...don't wait until you're ready to put your foot down at the sign or the light. Don't ask me how I know this! :D

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 14, 2016

Yea that's why I'm keen to learn on grass, I'm 6'2 so there's a fair way to fall and I'd rather not injure a shoulder/elbow/hip.

Wetworks and Mad Dog like this.
  10. smitty190373 Sep 14, 2016

I did the Etape in July.. a good ride !

Screenshot_20160914-175346.png

ahsposo, Wetworks and Mad Dog like this.
  11. Wetworks Sep 14, 2016

Like Mad Dog said, unclip WAY before you think you need to. Also, you need to identify which leg you want to make your plant foot and which you want to leave clipped in. I always leave my dominant (right) foot on, at the 6 o'clock position, while planting my left. It's the easiest, most coordinated way to get back up to speed from a stop.

Personally, I would recommend having someone put some basic platform pedals on so you first get comfortable simply handling the bike, getting acclimated to riding "in the wild", working on developing things like listening for cars, anticipating lines for turns, etc. Trying to incorporate those things with the nagging knowledge that you are also clipped in may prove not so good. I road platforms my first two seasons before going from a hybrid to my first road bike, and I am a much better rider for it, getting hit by buses notwithstanding.:whistling:

As for the tires, 25s should be fine. I ride 25s, usually with around 110-112 PSI rear, 90-100 front. I'm same height as you, average 220, give or take 5 lbs for what point of the season it is. Never pinch-flatted once. The 28s will be cushier, make sure the Synapse can handle 30s, especially Contis as I've heard they run wide (I run Schwalbes exclusively).

Speaking of which, learn how to change a flat (and try a practice run) before you actually get one. Also, get yourself a seat bag with the following: spare tube, patch kit, tire boot (or a small denomination of currency), bike multitool, CO2 inflator and cartridge. I also carry a small mini pump on my frame.

As a relative newbie, I can say I totally understand that all this can be overwhelming (and I left out quite a bit), but once you get it down, it's awesome, and absolutely worth it.

Edited Sep 14, 2016
    Mad Dog and Buckeyes#1 like this.
  12. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Sep 14, 2016

Wetworks is right with the dominant foot idea.
    I stopped too quick, unclipped my left foot, and leaned to the right. Cracked a rib on the curb. ::censored::
    Learned a lesson I never forgot.
    Don't be intimidated by them though. Just plan ahead.

Mad Dog likes this.
  13. barmy Sep 14, 2016

You'll find out how well you bounce. We all do.....::facepalm1::

Buckeyes#1 and Mad Dog like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 14, 2016

Turns out he doesn't have the 105s anymore so I took your advice and got a set of heavy steel platforms to use initially as well as a set of Ultegras for later since I've got the shoes anyway and want to try them.

The Synapse can actually go up to 32mm three on the disc version but even the rim brake car run up to 30mm GP4000s, I'm a bit heavier again than you so thinking 28 might be in order since the rear rubber is a bit worn out from trainer use.

IMG_8761.JPG

Wetworks and Mad Dog like this.
  15. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 14, 2016

Oh...one more tip...get those wigs busted on your legs...you look like Chewbacca. ;)

Just kidding. :D

gophishin likes this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 14, 2016

Man I'm hoping the extra bit if padding will help me a bit there but I'm pretty careful, haven't pranged a car since getting my license 10 years ago so hoping my luck can continue.

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 15, 2016

Well got the bike, will try it tomorrow with some platforms, hopefully it won't be rainy and miserable like today.

IMG_8769.JPG
    barmy, ahartfie, Wetworks and 2 others like this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 15, 2016

Spat my drink out reading this.... :thumbsup::thumbsup: Too funny

dougiedude likes this.
  19. Wetworks Sep 15, 2016

That's a really nice looking ride!!! I have that exact same Selle saddle, you'll love it.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 15, 2016

I don't actually know anything about the saddle other than he stuck it on because the OEM one was really bad, not even sure of model etc.