Forums Latest Members

Beautiful day to ride a bike!

1. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Aug 18, 2016

I'm looking to buy my first Tri bike.
    Saw this one. It's NOS. Great price.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Anyone out there have any experience with this model?
    Did my first Triathalon this summer. Had a lot of fun and want to improve my times next year.

Mad Dog likes this.
  2. Wetworks Aug 18, 2016

No idea about that bike, although Look certainly makes quality stuff. Those Fulcrum wheels are best relegated to training rides only. I have Racing 5s on my Allez, and while bombproof, they are on the chunky side.

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 18, 2016

Unless he's doing an uphill time trial Fulcrum 5s are more than adequate wheels for a relatively new racer. I've found, in my experience, that the motor needs more power and less weight and is the crucial element for competitive success. Wheels don't win races.

4. Wetworks Aug 19, 2016

Uphill TTs are very in vogue, at least in my neck of the woods (NY tristate). Those are Fulcrum 7s, I have 5s; I suppose I should've pointed that out. Anyhoo, heavier wheels can lose races, which speaks to your point about less weight, although I believe you were referring more to the rider (motor). :thumbsup:

5. Wetworks Aug 21, 2016

Hit north NJ today for the Ramapo Rally. Kept it reasonable with the 50 miler, although I probably would've been fine with the metric. Here's my Tarmac just off the, erm, tarmac right after an awesome descent. :cool:

[​IMG]

6. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Aug 21, 2016

Yeppers...beautiful day to ride a bike! Got my chores done so now I'm headed out on my trusty 2010 Schwinn Sprint fixed gear...my Uncle Bob (left) and my Dad (right) will be tagging along...good times! :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Aug 21, 2016

True, the motor does need more power (it always needs more power) and that's where a professional bike fit, professional coach and dedicated training (blood, sweat and gears) enter the picture...but if @Buckeyes#1 wants to improve his times regarding the bike portion (flat to rolling) of the TRI and be competitive equipment wise with the rest of the knuckleheads on race day, he needs to go full aero regarding the wheels (on race day)...especially the FRONT wheel since it's the first in the wind. "Aero, aero, aero" for TRIs and TTs (flat to rolling)...and the longer the bike distance (flat to rolling), the more "aero, aero, aero" comes into play regarding a faster time. :thumbsup:

Edited Aug 21, 2016
    pitpro, Buckeyes#1 and Wetworks like this.
  8. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Aug 22, 2016

My thoughts as well Mad Dog.
    Never intended to keep the wheels.
    I figure I would find the right bike first and then great a good wheel set.

9. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Aug 22, 2016

Those Fulcrums could be used as trainers. :thumbsup:

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  10. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Aug 25, 2016

I seem to be riding more than running right now. Got to get it in before the season changes. I can run in the snow, not so much for the bike. image.jpeg

Edited Aug 26, 2016
    Alpha and Mad Dog like this.
  11. Wetworks Sep 2, 2016

Bad day to ride a bike. :( Went out last Friday, got clipped head-on while descending by a vehicle, which of course did not end favorably for me. Broken scapula, rib, possible torn labrum, and road rash. Bike actually seems to have faired better, I'm in the process of having it assessed now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2016

This is why I don't ride bikes...hope your recovery goes well!

Wetworks likes this.
  13. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 2, 2016

Dang! Speedy recovery @Wetworks! Please be vigilant regarding the road rash...I had a similar incident happen a few years ago...went down on my TT bike during a training ride...my road rash got infected and I ended up being off work for 2 weeks.

Wetworks likes this.
  14. alam Sep 2, 2016

@Wetworks , ouch! just when I was planning for a ride this weekend! we are expecting the perfect weather, guess I'll be on the lookout to avoid all types of road rash! .....hope your recovery goes well!

Wetworks likes this.
  15. Wetworks Sep 2, 2016

Before I even finished nursing, wound care was a bit of a fave for me. While waiting for the amberlamps, I asked the officer there to give me something to clean up with. He handed me an ace wrap and I proceeded to scrub the ever-loving shit out of the road rash (all I had was a fresh water bottle, so I made do). He and all the other onlookers thought I was nuts, but I told them I'd rather this bit of pain as opposed to IV vanco. :thumbsup:

Mad Dog likes this.
  16. pitpro Likes the game. Sep 2, 2016

Sorry man. Get well soon!

Wetworks likes this.
  17. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Sep 2, 2016

Sorry to see that. Glad it didn't turn out worse. That's a major reason I avoid urban bike riding and keep it to gentle mountain biking where I won't encounter any vehicles aside from other bicyclists.

Wetworks likes this.
  18. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 3, 2016

Unofficial masters team ride today...good times! :thumbsup:

I'm on the far right in both pics (the big smile and the big wave in the second pic)...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

19. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Sep 5, 2016

Hope all turns out okay Wetworks!

Wetworks likes this.
  20. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 5, 2016

Another unofficial masters team ride today...and as usual everybody is laughing at my Schwinn (Paramount Series 9)...

image.jpeg

Wetworks likes this.