Bad Day On The Dark Side Of The Moon

I could see them replacing it (for free) from a PR standpoint. Although maybe not. But to save face on a largely untested medium (ceramic cases - when compared to steel or gold), I could see them stepping up this early on in this watch's production - I would. Question would be where to draw the line in the sand and say, "No more."
I think we'd all like to know how this plays/played out. Sorry I was not able to dig up more info on it.

Of course they shouldn't cover it. It got dropped, it's ceramic, it broke. That sucks.

If you drop a speedy and ding the case or bust the movement, would it get covered? No.

This watch simply has a higher and more costly consequence of being dropped. It also doesn't scratch and looks brand new eternally (unless it's dropped).

As far as "now we've seen that this happens." I would say it CAN happen, but since we have no idea how hard it fell, etc, I would also caution that we really don't know anything new...

If you crash your Ferrari, it's an expensive fix..

Like 2
Wow, this watch is like a toy compared with the original Speedmaster pre-pro and professional. Only a product of marketing.

I couldn't agree with you more!

I would be really surprised if Omega refused to replace the case, I would have thought if the owner pushed it hard enough Omega wold honour a replacement case, maybe not but surely worth a try, I love the DSOTM but this is why I would never but one

I wouldn't be too sure, it's not their fault it was dropped.

If it were me... I'd be sitting there going how much will a Stainless Speedy 9300 Case cost me? to rebuild the watch as a semi-Anakin. At least then you're not spending more than its worth to fix it and have something interesting to show for your money.

Like 3
I don't think this'll be the last one we see like this.....

Like 1
I have just tested the strength (albeit inadvertently) of the DS and am happy (that's an understatement) that it survived a 4' fall from my gym locker onto a tiled floor with not a scratch on it.

I have just tested the strength (albeit inadvertently) of the DS and am happy (that's an understatement) that it survived a 4' fall from my gym locker onto a tiled floor with not a scratch on it.
How many times? :D

Like 1
Is that how many times I had to change my underwear?

Ha-Ha - that's how I felt when the car door whacked into my DSOTM and the door came of worse. That wouldn't have happened with steel on steel.

You guys are brave. Leaving a $12K watch in a gym locker?? Glad to hear your watch survived the fall.

I strongly recommend not taking this watch on or off at the gym. Not only could you drop it which happens but people may notice it. I always take my any of my watches off and hide them in my bag before I go into the gym to avoid risk of dropping it or people seeing it. I always take off and put on my DSOTM where it can't really fall since it does not have a deployment buckle. I would do this with any watch with a tang style buckle as I can see how it would be easy to drop.

Long story short we have no idea how this guy broke his lug.

Long story short we have no idea how this guy broke his lug...

and until he comes here and tell us how it happen, I will remain skeptical about the story... :cautious:

Just stumbled across this thread.
From the perspective of a person with a drink problem, living in an apartment which is wall to wall tiled, it's quite disturbing! :eek:

It's gonna be brown trousers time every time I put on or take off my watch now...

Like 2
Which is why I have insurance on my Grey Side... the peace of mind is worth it.

I cringed a little when I looked at that picture. Thinking about what the owner probably was thinking when he dropped the watch, I could feel my heart drop to the bottom of my stomach.

I probably wouldn't conduct that test too many more times. :eek:

I truly believe that making whole cases out of ceramic is foolish, but if people are buying them what incentive does any watchmaker have in not producing them?

"Probably covered by his homeowners insurance." thats great advice! (u need to find a friend who dropped it oficially - his insurance might cover the costs)

Thanks for resurrecting this dead thread. Now we will have the haters chime back in.

Like 1