Forums Latest Members

Auto winding while sheltered in place

1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 1, 2020

Wisconsin has us staying home as much as possible, only going out for exercise or essential activities, remaining at home otherwise.

As I was let go in a "reduction in force" before the virus was a big thing, I was home anyways but it got worse with the order.

Turns out I am definitely not moving enough to keep my automatic watches wound, so they are of course not keeping time.

The manual watches have come out and are being worn in rotation. This includes the Omega 30T2, , an Omega trench, an Elgin "Foch" from WWI, a Ferrero trench watch (a story in itself), and my rose gold Lemania.

Since I tend to prefer the automatics, it's nice to have a reason for a change.

Tom

Mad Dog, DaveK, OMEGuy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dan S Apr 1, 2020

I haven't even been wearing a watch most days. ::facepalm2::

Mad Dog, Joe_A and DaveK like this.
  3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 1, 2020

I tried that, I kept looking at my empty wrist!

Tom

4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 1, 2020

Dang, sorry to hear that. I hope that everything is good.

I haven’t been wearing watches the past few weeks, too much hand washing to do. My watchmaker had my Omega pocket watch in for a mainspring replacement, so I called and said just go ahead and do a service, I’ll pick it up when it that kind of thing is allowed again.

Walrus, Dan S and OMEGuy like this.
  5. mzinski Apr 2, 2020

I don't even know where...::facepalm2::
    I can't even begin...::facepalm2::
    No watch?!?!?! ::facepalm2::
    Man! You're on a W A T C H forum...::facepalm2::
    Some days I wear two just because. :D

DaveK, Mad Dog and Professor like this.
  6. Professor Apr 2, 2020

My Orient Tri-Star is self winding only, no hand wind option. When I first got it I found I wasn't active enough in the evening to bring it up to a decent reserve before bedtime and it would stop just before morning.
    I solved that by gently swinging it side to side for two minutes before putting it on the night stand.
    My other self winders, other than an Elgin that needs a sevice, are all with hand wind option. A few turns of the crown before bed and I'm confident it will be running in the morning.
    My Midland self winds so easily ,even when not very active, that I usually don't have to do that.
    These days I usually wear one of two hand wound watches because I found these to be the most accurate in my meager collection. One is accurate to 2 seconds per day and the other accurate to one second per five days. Both are light, thin, comfortable, and stable on my slender and too rounded left wrist.
    The Midland is accurate to three-four seconds per 24 hour day. I'd wear it more often but I need to find a more comfortable band. The Orient is also very accurate but the OEM band blows chunks.
    My Bulova self winder is accurate, not sure how accurate exactly, but I had a problem finding a suitable band to replace the OEM braclet which had lost much of its plating. I recently got a cheap Chinese Bracelet that looks very much like the Bulova OEM, fits into the hidden lugs perfectly, and is comfortable enough that I wear it sometimes, not often because I want to avoid wear of the movement until I can have it professionally serviced.

7. asrnj77 Apr 4, 2020

I agree. I’m stuck at home like most, but yesterday I wore a gold dress watch and sweat pants because why not? I’ve been wearing a different watch everyday because it gives me something to look forward to in the morning and it’s a few moments of distraction every time I look down on my wrist.

DaveK likes this.
  8. KeithS Apr 4, 2020

I don’t usually wear a watch while exercising, but I’ve started wearing my automatic watches while jogging because, apparently, I am also not active enough while sheltering at home to keep them wound enough to make it through the night. What part of Wisconsin are you in? I’m in Madison.

9. abrod520 Apr 4, 2020

I wind all my watches by hand nightly, whether manual or automatic. So unless a watch has issues, it's definitely running by the time I decide to put it on on any given morning. Granted though, I try to keep my collection to a size wherein I can wear any watch regularly enough.

Mad Dog likes this.
  10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 5, 2020

Greenfield.

Tom