Forums Latest Members

Newbie Update - Speedy Vintage Dial and Hands in Place - And Some Newbie Advice

1. vtknight Nov 13, 2019

Hi everyone. First I want to thank those on the boards - and especially those like Archer and Dan S. for being so helpful while I ran around in concern.

I was super fortunate to find a Master Watchmaker - who lives close to me (72 years old with 43 years experience) - who was able to clean up and replace my original dial which was in fantastic condition I am super happy to say. The hands were near perfect - but the sweep was slightly damaged from whoever took it out (which he showed me before he put it back in). It was fixed by the Watchmaker - but I don't know that it will ever be mint again.

For those who are new like me - I found some great resources on this forum. That said - be wary as well. The Fratello article about Speedmaster bezels was wrong (they did not mention the serif on the 7's) - and there are some hacks out there. This forum continues to be one of the greatest sources of truth out there.

Winding: Like Archer and others stated - don't be afraid. Wind at the same time every day until you cannot - without ever applying a ton of force - and you should be fine.

For those wanting to estimate the date of their Speedy - an amazing resource - from this Forum - is a fantastic link. With the serial of the Speedy you will get at least an approximation and it gets better as more actual information is added to it.

https://www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com/productiondateprediction/

This watch is my favourite. It is my first vintage watch, With the original parts in and the watch working really well (plus the original 1171 with trapezoid bracelet) - I really feel I did well (I got the watch for about 6K CDN - so about 4200 US). With the parts in place - and bracelet - I believe I increased its value (although it really isn't my thing - this is a keeper).

I will continue to lurk here - I thank-you all again for your kind support - especially when my questions were very Newb.

Cheers!
    Restoration1.png

2. vtknight Nov 13, 2019

ACC6AAB5-F5E2-4657-96A8-58002AAFF090.jpeg 5229FCBE-1728-4C10-847F-3DE5347B0956.jpeg A70906F9-D5E9-4683-9AD1-BB25AFA547E6.jpeg

3. bazderome Nov 14, 2019

4. vtknight Nov 14, 2019

It is most definitely on my left hand...I’m not sure if I reversed the pic? 6B2E7672-2B83-4D4A-AF34-E7024AFEAF74.jpeg

5. bazderome Nov 15, 2019

Yeah looks better haha nice watch congrats :)

vtknight likes this.
  6. neilfrancis Nov 15, 2019

Great looking Speedmaster

vtknight likes this.
  7. joe band Nov 15, 2019

i think the value of swapping back the original dial and hands is obviously justified now that you see the results. great speedy for everyday wear. congrats!

vtknight likes this.
  8. vtknight Nov 15, 2019

Thank-you sir - I love it!

9. vtknight Nov 15, 2019

I definitely agree - after the early worry of how this would all work, finding a master watchmaker made that an easy decision. He did the replacement while we chatted - he is 72 with 43 years experience and was unbelievable. While I was there three other collectors came by with watches worth more than most peoples cars for things to be done - so that built my confidence further.
    Adding the 1171 to the watch to the original step dial and hands - I am super happy with it.

Edited Nov 15, 2019
  10. Patrik83 Nov 15, 2019

Feel much more calm seeing the watch in this form. :thumbsup:

vtknight likes this.
  11. vtknight Nov 15, 2019

Lol - as do I Patrik...as do I. Although I know there was polishing Omega SA (whom I will never go back to) - i am sure my scuff mark will come back shortly as I wear it daily. I am missing the true bezel - it does not have he serif on the 7's - but the positioning of the 90 DNN and 70 (mid) plus the no marker on the tachy E - are all correct. Movement is beautiful and it winds so smoothly - using the link I found here (above in my thread) - and it is dated to about 1972. Case is original - and now I have the original 1171 trapezoid - so I feel pretty good all around - that I increased the value from 4200 USD. From what I saw on ebay and Chrono - the step dials in my condition are at least a few grand - and the hands - about 1K. So not too shabby I think. Plus it looks great in my opinion and most importantly - I love it. I only have two other reasonably expensive watches; a 2012 Tag Grand Carrera Calibre 36 and Zenith El Primero from 2016. So this is my first vintage - but this is the watch I will now wear everyday (Tag was before). All my watches go to my children - so one more will make it complete for me (looking at the Daytona).

Not that I know modern watches very well - but Vintage is an entirely different - but wonderful - world.