Forums Latest Members
  1. Revo Jul 28, 2021

I have a 1998 Speedmaster Reduced 3510.50 automatic with the "piggyback" movement (DD chrono module on an ETA base ebauche).

It keeps great time but seems to stop when worn unless the mainspring is "topped up" with a hand wind via the crown. My local watchmaker and friend has serviced it (cleaned, oiled and adjusted) but the problem persists.

I've reached out to Simon Freese as I hear great things about him on here and elsewhere but just wondering if this a common / known issue and if there's a simple solution.

Could just be that I'm not active enough to keep it wound but I've never had this problem with other autos I own.

Thanks

2. Revo Jul 28, 2021

PS never sure if a 1990's watch is "vintage" or "modern" so if this is in the wrong section please move it!

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 28, 2021

I can maybe help with this. I'll pm you

Revo likes this.
  4. Revo Jul 28, 2021

Thanks! Was just about to reply to your email so that's perfect timing.

5. sirtaifun Jul 28, 2021

When was last complete service?

6. sirtaifun Jul 28, 2021

I mean did your friend serviced the movement with or without the DD module and did he changed the spring?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2021

Did he service the entire movement, including the module? People are often mistakenly under the impression that the module doesn't need regular servicing, in particular if they don't use the chronograph a lot. They are under the impression that the module is only for the chronograph, but in fact every hand that moves on the dial is being moved by the chronograph module, including the hour and minute hands, and the constant seconds hand, plus all the chronograph hands.

Unless your watchmaker serviced all of it, he's only done half the job.

Revo likes this.
  8. Revo Jul 28, 2021

No, he was very honest and upfront about that even before he took the watch: he said he could and would service the base ETA and give the DD module some oil. And to be fair to him that's what he did.

Ok , well I was certainly under that impression! I did not know that about the DD chrono module. Thanks for that info. So, it looks like it's off for an expensive spa treatment . . . .

Funnily enough I visited an old chap today who has a 1969 Speedy (I think it's a 145.022-69? Caseback says First Watch On The Moon or something similar; cal. 1861 I think? Anyway, not a 321)

I tried it on and compared with my Reduced auto.

And -- oh heresy of heresies! -- I think I preferred mine.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2021

I think people calling it the "chrono module" is what is misleading. It really should be called the "everything" module.

Stripey, Revo and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  10. Revo Jul 28, 2021

tbh <40mm + auto + 18mm lugs is my sweet spot. And I'm not a small bloke, either: 6' tall, 230 lbs, 7.5" wrists. The so-called "reduced" is spot on for me but then I wear a lot of vintage watches in the 32-38mm range. 40+ mm and 20mm lugs feels too big. YMMV.

11. Revo Jul 28, 2021

Thanks. I did not know that. You, sir, are real fount of knowledge. I'd heard good things about you -- and now I know why. They are all true.

Edited Jul 28, 2021
  12. sirtaifun Jul 29, 2021

That was the reason for my question also mostly in that failure the second wheel is misfunctional but if you give it to Omega or equal they will change the module to fix this.

13. Revo Aug 3, 2021

Watch is now off a full spa treatment and (hopefully) a 3539.50 dial so it should be 1.) good for a while yet 2.) slightly modded to be my perfect watch 3.) pressure tested so I can wear it while fishing without worrying too much if it gets wet (I know these will never be serious swimming watches but hopefully 30 meters WR is enough if it gets a quick dip while releasing a troublesome trout.

Thanks again to all OF members for your knowledge and to @padders for the coffee, chat and help.

padders likes this.