Forums Latest Members

Authorised dealers V Grey market impending decision

1. Liamo Jul 19, 2020

I’ve been saving for a new hesilite speedmaster for a while now after many years lusting after one. Best price I can find on the UK grey market is circa £3250. However there are 3 AD’s in my city all advertising them for £4000. I’m torn between going grey market or seeing if I can get a decent enough discount off an AD (ie; 20%)
    Given the current climate of poor footfall on the high street at the moment, has anyone any recent experience in negotiating with UK AD’s? Are they hungry to shift metal?

2. Evitzee Jul 19, 2020

ADs will usually discount. Only way to know is to try.

wristpirate and Foo2rama like this.
  3. alam Jul 19, 2020

IMO, it boils down to how much you are willing to pay for the five-year OEM warranty — £250? £300? above the grey dealer price? then try to get the AD close to that price.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 19, 2020

Look for resellers who will provide the full Omega 5 year warranty.

5. Dsloan Jul 19, 2020

I'm not sure how things are your area, but my local AD will offer15-20% off a standard speedy for anyone walking in off the street. Probably worth asking.

Edited Jul 19, 2020
    lindo likes this.
  6. lindo Jul 19, 2020

I strongly suggest you go to each of the ADs and tell them that you are considering buying a grey market Speedy but would prefer to buy from an AD - could they match the price? I speak from experience - paying full retail for a new watch from an Omega AD is crazy.

7. s2000_driver Jul 19, 2020

Omega ADs will discount most regular production models. If I were you, I would call all the ADs in the area and express your interest.

8. killer67 Jul 20, 2020

For piece of mind and warranty reasons the AD would be better. You will find one that will get you pretty darn close to £3250 and they might throw in a NATO as well. OB is a different story

9. Gruesome Jul 20, 2020

As already said above, I'd only buy a grey market watch with full manufacturer warranty, i.e. one with the warranty card. (I don't think they get stamped any more; somebody please correct if I'm wrong.) But it might be nice to buy a watch you can see and handle before you buy it, for the same or insignificantly higher amount. (80% of 4000 = 3200, so the AD doesn't even have to stretch their discount).

10. Celestron Jul 20, 2020

If I were you I would go to an AD and get a discount.

Also, you are aware that its an open secret that the 1861 speedmasters are going to get a new movement (3861) most likely later this year? I hope you factor this into your decision as it affects the price, technical specifications and heritage of the watch you are looking for.

11. orlis Jul 20, 2020

My ADs do stamp each warranty card when you purchase from them. The one without stamp may be not valid when you sent the watch for warranty service.

12. Liamo Jul 20, 2020

Yes I was aware an impending update is due that will likely push it out of my budget so I’m hopeful the AD will be willing to shift the “old stock” at a discount before the new model comes. I work in the automotive industry where this is very much the norm

Celestron likes this.