Authenticity of my 14393 Constellation Pie Pan- Wonky Star

Hello Omega-collectors!

I am new to this forum and looking really forward to spending quite some time here as I get more and more into Omega watches. My name is Markus, living in Austria. Got my first Omega 5 years ago while strolling through a flea market (Seamaster 165.001 from 1963) and wore it almost every week since then. Two years ago I got a Speedmaster Moonwatch but ended up selling it because it didn’t fit my small wrist- which was quite sad because I really enjoyed the look of the watch itself.
Nevertheless the Omega watch world never stopped to fascinate me.

To the point of my first post: One week ago I finally bought a watch I was dreaming about for some years now: a golden Constellation Pie Pan from the 60s. Finally I found a piece that really looked good to me. I picked it up from a renowned local watch shop and I’m really happy since then. The watch is made out of 14k yellow gold with Ref.Nr. 14393SC from ca. 1962, ticking inside is the Cal. 561. Here is a wristshot:

1.jpg

The only thing that made me wonder was that there seem to be some inaccuracies on the dial. It seems that the Omega-Logo, the 12 oclock indices and the Constellation star are not aligned perfectly on the dial.
2.jpg

I marked it here:
3.jpg

I do not know how good quality control was back then or it has been repaired/replaced or something like that. Since there are a lot Franken Watches out there I tried to get as much detail as possible beforehand and tried to dive into the world of Connies to suck up all information (which is quite a topic, since there is so much to know)- but after some time I noticed that help from experts like you would be greatly appreciated.

Because of that I would like to ask you about your opinion about the authenticity of my new watch. I will start with the things I think I know about it: The case (14393SC) seems fitting to the watch caliber (561). The caseback also has the number 61 stamped in it, which I guess is the production year of the case. The serialnumber stamped on the Cal. Is 19-xxx, so it should have been produced around 1962. The gap of 1 year seems ok to me since it doesn’t seem uncommon that the case was produced one year earlier than the caliber and was assembled together. Also there’s a Omega stamp on the caseback as well as three gold stamps on the lugs of the watch. The crown is not the classic one, but I am not sure if it is a replaced one since I read in the very interesting blog of Desmond that there were some exceptions. The strap and clasps are from Omega, but are new. I will add some pictures I took yesterday. The picture from the movement is from the watch dealer, as I did not open the watch so far (will do on the weekend). If the picture source is a problem please tell me.

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg
It would be great if you could help me by giving your opinion on the authenticity of my watch, especially in terms of the “imperfections” on the dial.

Thank you very much and I wish you a nice day.
All the best from Austria,

Max

Hi there, I am by no means an expert but this this link may help you to decide if what you have is OK, there are some 'wonky' stars in there as well.
https://omega-constellation-collect...02/its-all-about-moy-except-when-it-isnt.html
Also, plug 'wonky star into the search function above and digest the results.

Hello Bajj, thank you for your answer. I used the search function and noticed that there (as your interesting linked article also shows) are examples of "Wonkys" that still are authentic.
I decided to open up a new thread because of the combination of wonky star+ indices not perfectly aligned and opinions about the authenticity in general- i hope that's ok! I'm interested in opinions on the watch in general so that was the thought behind that.
Thanks for your interesting article,
Max

Welcome @Seemeister20

this is a tricky one.
There are definitely some discrepancies but overall the dial looks good.

the cross hairs and printed 12 marker seem to be out slightly.
The vertical line is to the left of where it should be with regard to 12 index, the Omega symbol, the OMEGA name, the ‘e’ in Constellation but marginally to the right of bisecting the first part of the ‘M’ in AUTOMATIC.

it looks like the printed marks at 11, 1, & 2 are also slightly off.

The wonky star is nothing to worry about.

So, it’s either a very good redial or a failure in quality control.
My bet would definitely be with the latter.

Enjoy your watch.

(ps don't open the watch unless you have too)

Welcome @Seemeister20

this is a tricky one.
There are definitely some discrepancies but overall the dial looks good.

the cross hairs and printed 12 marker seem to be out slightly.
The vertical line is to the left of where it should be with regard to 12 index, the Omega symbol, the OMEGA name, the ‘e’ in Constellation but marginally to the right of bisecting the first part of the ‘M’ in AUTOMATIC.

it looks like the printed marks at 11, 1, & 2 are also slightly off.

The wonky star is nothing to worry about.

So, it’s either a very good redial or a failure in quality control.
My bet would definitely be with the latter.

Enjoy your watch.

(ps don't open the watch unless you have too)

Hello Peemacgee, thanks for your answer!
What you're saying totally makes sense to me. For a Redial the text also seems to look very good.
Also while browsing through the forum, I read the thread "Learn how to Fish" and noticed that the author put this Connie as a (positive) reference in the thread where also some inaccuracies on the dial. I marked them in orange.
Source: User @ConElPueblo (Hope it's alright I use it here)
Unbenannt.jpg

So it would make sense to me that it's a failure of quality control.
Greetings, Max

One more question: Does anybody know if its Radium on the hands or if they switched to Tritium already? I read somewhere that they made the change around 1960-1963?
Greetings,
Max