Forums Latest Members

U.S. Postal money order only? How do you feel about it?

1. cvalue13 Oct 15, 2013

All,

The holder of a watch I'm interested in buying doesn't accept credit cards or PayPal, and is requesting U.S. postal money orders be delivered to him before shipping the watch to me.

Any concerns in your view?

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 15, 2013

It all depends on how comfortable with the seller.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 15, 2013

Not if I don't have experience with or know the seller, etc.

4. Dablitzer Oct 15, 2013

+1 I would want to have a chat on the phone first. You can tell much more from someones voice, rather than just messages etc. But could be worth the risk if it's something you really want. If you have spoken to him, then trust your instinct.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 15, 2013

I guess that is the "Catch 22" with a private seller. Is there anybody on here that lives locally to the seller that you could send the money to as a Paypal gift, who could then complete the transaction for you face to face?

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 15, 2013

Back in the old days of pre PayPal eBay I conducted many, many (hundreds) of sales by money order and cashiers check with no issues, there was the theoretical backup of eBay if something did go wrong, but I never had an issue.

Ask for references, speak to them person to person on the phone as suggested by Dab.

What's their issue with PayPal, fees?

There is also the possibility of using an escrow service if its more money than you can afford to lose if something goes wrong.

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 15, 2013

I would be very careful. PMOs are notoriously used by scammers.

DLT222 likes this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 15, 2013

+1 on both of the above. I also did a lot of purchasing in the old days with USPS Money Orders. Usually small amount items. Anything >$100 had to be PayPal or credit card or I just wouldn't do the deal.

If it's an issue with PayPal fees, offer to pay them. An extra 3% is money well spent for PayPal's (and your credit card's) protection.

Been there, done that.
    gatorcpa

9. Hijak Oct 15, 2013

Where is the item located?

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 15, 2013

USPS Money Orders are (to the buyer) like sending cash - once it is out of your hands, it is gone for good. You have no recourse at all if something goes amiss.

11. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Oct 15, 2013

Agree with those who had posted. However as someone who resides outside of the US and Europe, I have myself on a few occasions wired money to sellers in both continents. All except one are dealers and although they have physical shopfronts, it is still not without risks. The lone private seller whom I wired funds to was a reputable forum owner and I was very comfortable in that instance, even more comfortable than with the dealers. So end of the day, I guess it all comes down to trust.

12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2013

Having a business here in the USA, we are regularly asked the same question, and its always on the expensive stuff never the $14.99 items. We avoid these like the plague! PayPal all the way as its covers 'us' the rest is not worth the hassle, stress and the feeling of being ripped off!

If it was me, leave well alone!