Forums Latest Members

Article: “Why I still Wear the Apple Watch”

1. watchos Sep 8, 2017

Here’s a great article regarding the Apple Watch and it’s ties to horological history:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/07/why-i-still-wear-the-apple-watch/

I got back into watches because of the Apple Watch and the more I learn about complications and the history of watches, the more I see all the interesting details in it. I switch from an Apple Watch to mechanical watches on the weekends since it’s pretty useful during my work hours. I do think about what watch I want to wear, what straps to use, etc which I didn’t before. I believe the Apple Watch popularity will have a halo effect on the overall watch industry. Getting people to wear a watch again, regardless of brand, after so many ditched them because they had the time in their phones is going to have a positive impact.

drhombus24 likes this.
  2. Waltesefalcon Sep 8, 2017

Funnily enough I was just debating with a friend the durability of the Apple watch last night. She has had the adhesive that holds the back on the watch fail four times now and has had to get it replaced. She still thinks it is a great product and it is worth it to her for the convenience. My response was how many times do you think I have had to get a new Omega because mine has failed? I get what the article is saying but I still only wear a watch to tell me the time, and I would rather spend my money on a watch that I actually appreciate, i.e. a mechanical watch over one that is solely functional. If I were to wear just one for the time and date I'd have a quartz Timex.

noelekal and AveConscientia like this.
  3. sevenhelmet Sep 8, 2017

To my way of thinking, a mechanical watch is solely functional. There's a lot to be said for unobtrusively checking the time on a wristwatch, versus whipping out a phone. The former is much more polite in a lot of settings. Plus, I like the history, style, and precision of mechanical timepieces. The Apple watch itself is a gimmick, IMO. IT does have some interesting features, but nothing that makes me want to spend the money for something else with a screen that I have to keep charged. That said, if the Apple watch gets people interested in watches, then that's cool.

4. BenBagbag Sep 8, 2017

I wouldn't be so quick to call anything you don't subscribe to a gimmick. You understand that some people would say that buying an old brand name watch is a gimmick when you can buy this for $6:
    casio.jpg

madjestikmoose and drhombus24 like this.
  5. Shailor Sep 8, 2017

I consider a quality timepiece to be more of a statement than anything else. It shows an appreciation for craftsmanship and artistry. Smart devices that display the time are just tools.

nttisch23 and Waltesefalcon like this.
  6. sevenhelmet Sep 8, 2017

Opinion.jpg

"IMO" = In My Opinion. ;)

7. any4xx Sep 9, 2017

I love(d) my stainless Apple Watch until I bought my first mechanical several months ago. I put it on a few evenings ago and told my wife I was going to wear it to work the next day. I've said this before, but I always let emotion get the best of me and end up wearing one of my Omegas. Thursday morning was no exception. I got ready for work and put my Apple on. I looked at it for a minute and admired its technical prowess. Then I slipped it back off and put on my Seamaster. My Seamaster went to work with me and is still on my wrist.

8. Shailor Sep 9, 2017

Is that your Grand Sport in the photo? Nice!

9. any4xx Sep 9, 2017

Hahaha no. My cousin has a new Z06 and he wears an Omega Seamaster chronograph and he never sets the date properly on it. I was at the dealership and snapped this picture to text to him with the proper date just to rib him. It looked like it would make a good avatar pic. I should change it up though. Mine's only a lowly 2004 Z06.

10. Shailor Sep 9, 2017

My son has a 2002 Z06 and loves it. I just bought a new C7. Fun cars!

isaac.owen.nz likes this.
  11. any4xx Sep 9, 2017

Had to wait for 10:10, but now it's right. ;-)

12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 10, 2017

Smart devices are just "tools" ???
    IMHO they probably meant "disruptive technology causing notification stress" :thumbsdown:

noelekal, Lonestar and Waltesefalcon like this.
  13. kappy94 Sep 11, 2017

The Apple Watch is what got me into watches in the first place. Now I'm so into automatic watches that I never wear my Apple Watch anymore.

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 11, 2017

My beef is the battery life and default off display . If your going to use it as a fitness/sleep tracker I'd love to not have to charge it when I sleep. This is a not an issue with other trackers that go a few days and charge quickly when needed.

So as a fitness tracker it's a failure, cheaper and better alternatives exist.

With the default off display you can't show any individuality in the normal state so meh.

Alerts can be done on most fitness trackers... and there is no killer app yet for the watch to make it useful.

sevenhelmet likes this.
  15. tgcarl Feb 15, 2019

An older thread, but with release of Apple Watch 4 one I'd like to review.
    First, it's an awesome device now, quick, powerful & fitness features to rival any.
    It looks mighty fine too in my opinion. I have one, but sadly needs to go back & not because of my Omega.
    The reason, it only works with iPhone & this device to me now looks outdated.
    My Omega for weekends, so now I need something else for mid week. Replacing the Apple watch 4 with another smart watch as good is no easy task.

16. Seamaster4463 Feb 15, 2019

Why not wear both, one on each wrist!

amiriqbal and tgcarl like this.
  17. any4xx Feb 15, 2019

Over the past year my daily has become a black Explorer II. I have loved the functionality of the Apple Watch, but every time I wore it I missed my mechanicals. When the AW IV came out i sucked it up and bought one, trying to make it a daily. For the past month I’ve been experimenting with wearing both, but I’m really self conscious when I do. Two separate friends have already asked why I’m wearing two.

As I get older, I’m appreciating the health features of the . Today’s response is timely, as it’s the first day I plan on venturing out with just the AW and no mechanical. I expect that tomorrow I’ll be back to wearing both. First world problems....

18. Otee453 Feb 15, 2019

I’ve owned two apple watches. First one was shortly after they first came out. I wore it for 2 weeks... hated it and sold it knowing that within a year it would be replaced with an updated version making mine obsolete. I now own a brand new, never opened version 4. I purchased it during Black Friday sale 2018. I purchased it because you can store music and/or audio books on the watch and play via Bluetooth to earbuds or headphones. Intent was to use the watch for music while exercising and running. As soon as spring gets here and I’m able to go run outdoors, I will open it up and use it strictly and only for that.

In my opinion, the smart watches lack class & sophistication. I hate having another device to charge and its another piece of disposable technology. A fine watch is an heirloom. I respect those who like them (several of my very close friends love their Apple Watch) and do not think any less of anyone’s choice in watches (except the jumbo Invicta guys... haha!)

19. BradleyJ. Feb 15, 2019

I'll be getting the new gear watch once I offload the two S3s I have. Even though its basically the same as the S3 models, the new 42mm size offering is the same diameter and thickness as a speedy pro. I love smart watches for work since I work with my hands daily but the previous sizes are way too big and after 2 years they stopped being convenient.

alam likes this.
  20. nlogax Feb 16, 2019

FWIW I've been debating getting an AW4 for running. The feature set finally seems perfect: music / podcasts / Audible, pretty accurate assisted-GPS, maps, heartrate, EKG, waterproof, cell service ... etc etc etc. My biggest gripe is the LTE radio versioning being different in USA and UK! I wish they made a universal model :(

First world problems indeed...

Edited Feb 16, 2019
    noelekal likes this.