Forums Latest Members

Arrivals, What Did You Buy Recently?(Watches)

1. lwong Jun 1, 2015

Just arrived and fresh from upwrapping - early dialled Flightmaster 910 with bangin' yellow hands.

When I first started my watch collecting journey I didn't have the slightest where to look for vintage watches, but I figured that the nearest congregation of junk and secondhand stores would be a start. So I found a vintage dealer, browsed his wares, and took to Omega like a fish to water. As I'd just started working I decided to start with a relatively inexpensive Omega Dynamic. It stopped after six months and turned out to be a franken, but that's another story...

At the time however there was a c.910 on display, and he encouraged me to try it on - presumably in hopes that I'd commit. I didn't have the funds and I didn't know the slightest thing about the watch... But I've never forgotten the magic of that moment when I placed it on my wrist. Like a gear clicking into place.

So, yeah. It's been a long hunt for the ideal piece, and I didn't hesitate when I finally found one that ticked all the boxes.

[​IMG]

Lou P, tudor66, Northernman and 11 others like this.
  2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 2, 2015

Very beautiful family! God bless. :)

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 2, 2015

/ thats what she said

(Btw - watch looks great on your wrist!)

Not not nearly "too big". Not even close. But, if you want to sell it...dibs?

*edit / I see jimmy beat me to the punch / which is also what would most likely occur in real life as well / you wouldn't sock me, would you Jim? You bully! Lol

Edited Jun 2, 2015
    dougiedude and sneer like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 2, 2015

No! Perfect!

When can you send it?

:D

dougiedude, sneer and citizenrich like this.
  5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 2, 2015

Purchased July 1972 @ the airport in Zurich by a Mr. John Rock, Hazelton, PA, USA with a "BankAmeriCard" (the receipt is almost as cool as the watch). They even put his passport number on the receipt! I guess identify theft was less pervasive back then. Somehow, we manage to become LESS civilized each decade.

Mr. Rock paid 425 CHF / no duty plus a 20 CHF airport surcharge. So, ~450 all-in which I think was around 1700 US @ the time. That's a lot of dough. I wonder if he was honest upon arrival or tried to "wear it in"? I bet he paid his duty like a good American lol...

This is a very early auto chrono plus it's a chronometer. (as almost all Bucherer's are - it's possible all of their movements are chronometers - does anyone know if this is true?)

I feel like this was an incredible value at 330 bucks (what I paid). I've timed it in (4) positions; all between +1 and +4

Not too shabby!!!!

Oh, and she's heavy as a brick. 67 grams and 39mm ! without the crown. Very contemporary looking.

I think I'm going to clean, oil and adjust. I'll give the original crystal a nice polish. That's it.

Any suggestions for a strap? I was thinking lizard but I'm wide open to suggestions.

Thanks for looking!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Jun 2, 2015
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 2, 2015

Good plan Rich. :thumbsup:

Service, tidy up, nice strap. Maybe a dark chocolate padded calf?

That's an imposing watch, so it'll need something equally eye catching so that the whole package looks unified. Put a wimpy strap on it and it'll look unfinished.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 2, 2015

My comment was in jest, the other half is still remembering the four grand I just dropped on a Railmaster so watch purchases are verboten for a while.

Until she buys a new pair of shoes that is :D

So dibs are yours to claim Rich, make Piotr an offer he can't refuse. ::stirthepot::

8. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 2, 2015

Yes, I really like calf leather and brown would be perfect. I normally do custom but in this case I think I'll go with a Hirsch curved end (calf leather in brown). I believe Hirsch calls it the "Medeci" (sp?) and thy make a luscious deep brown.

I couldn't figure out why the watch is so darn heavy but I've solved the caper; 22k gold rotor (stamped "chronometer", no less).

I've a bit of a moral dilemma - the lady I purchased it from inherited it from her aunt; I was her Uncle's watch. It's not very logical but I subscribe to the general idea of karma. It's not like the watch is worth 100k and i shucked it from her at @ garage sale. Regardless, this woman knew nothing about watches - I'm surprised she didn't go to a local jeweler and then they would have clipped her anyway. This a very uncommon watch (not rare but very uncommon). These watches were Rolex quality without the Rolex name - exactly the sort of a watch an American businessman would purchase at an airport on the way home form a successful business trip,,. I bet they advertised it as 70% off.

Anyway - I'm going to send the nice lady an email tomorrow and offer her 75 more bucks for the watch. that leaves me @ 400 which is still a great price (the gold is probably worth that).

If it looks as good as I think it's going to look with the new strap and a crystal polish, I'll probably make it my daily wear for the foreseeable future.

9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 2, 2015

we've got something brewing as I type this. Once again, you get the drop on me, Jack Reacher.

PICTURES OF THE RAIL MASTER, STAT

oddboy likes this.
  10. lwong Jun 2, 2015

Purchased some time ago but just arrived. Joining @jordn on the sherpa-train!

[​IMG]

x3no, Lou P, tudor66 and 17 others like this.
  11. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jun 2, 2015

For my incoming "it will be 3 weeks, but it feels like a year, before I get it" Speedie 145.022 ::love::

image.jpg

Bienne2998 likes this.
  12. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 2, 2015

I've always felt this ^^^^ is one of the best looking sport chrono's ever produced . Congrats!

Charlie3755, Bienne2998 and lwong like this.
  13. lwong Jun 3, 2015

Would it be a surprise if I said I agreed? ;)

Aside from the contrasting tachy-dial-subdial combination, I think it's the off-white inner ring of minute hashes that really brings it all together and makes it stand out. It pulls the look away from the heavy contrasts of PN daytonas and other similar watches.

dougiedude and Mick Tock like this.
  14. JM251 Jun 3, 2015

My first sports/tool watch or however they're called, also my first SS, first seamaster and black dial. Couldn't be more satisfied. Finally made it to the 21st century.

20150531_193321_001.jpg
    Omegawd, Hijak, Ko1892 and 9 others like this.
  15. Wongo Jun 3, 2015

Omega Constellation black dial last week, Omega British Military this week. Don't tempt me with more watches please.

16. TNTwatch Jun 3, 2015

Pics or it doesn't happen... ;)

dougiedude and Darlinboy like this.
  17. Wongo Jun 4, 2015

Need to wait for the item to fly a few thousand miles. Once its all done up the world will see.
    But the waiting.... ::facepalm1::

18. stef2010 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 4, 2015

19. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 4, 2015

Congratulations! What a beautiful watch!

JM251 likes this.
  20. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 4, 2015