Forums Latest Members

Arrivals, What Did You Buy Recently?(Watches)

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 7, 2015

This hobby makes it's own stories

I already have the exact NOS crown for this watch which I received as part of a trade.

Feel like I probably received around a hundred dollar break for something which cost me 3 bucks, two years ago.
    This is the sort of thing which scares off regular buyers.

Does anyone know how much this watch is worth in decent collector condition? Should I polish it or leave the case alone?

After a tune-up and a new crystal I'll be all-in for $215. If the lens is original, I'll just clean her up. I feel pretty good about this one...

Thanks for looking :)

*sellers photos

image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Mar 7, 2015
  2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 7, 2015

It seems like everyone but me hates tank watches. Picked this one up from the same seller so I got "free" shipping. Who doesn't like free?

The seller is a pawn shop and he occasionally gets decent stuff. Both these watches came from the same "estate" and were originally purchased the same day. The first watch has the original purchase receipt and box. He didn't have it in the listing but upon asking I was informed of very a pleasant surprise !

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Mar 7, 2015
  3. ELV web Mar 7, 2015

image.jpg Got this off the bay, a bit of a confusion on seller's whereabouts (says Armenia in one page and Spain in another) anyhow Will post a wrist shot when arrive.

Edited Mar 7, 2015
    cristos71, TNTwatch, Hijak and 3 others like this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 7, 2015

Both very good buys for the money IMO. I like the first, especially the needle-nose hands, but the second is a very cool varient both case & dial. As Huey likes to say, it's hip to be square!;)

citizenrich likes this.
  5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 7, 2015

Woah, that's a nice piece...
    /that's what she said.

Recently,,,I've seen some of these go for beaucoup dinero at traditional auction houses. I don't know enough about UG chronos to have an intelligent discussion but let me just say I've seen some these go for Vacheron prices (dress, not sport chrono).

Please keep us posted, as I speak for...well, just me. Congrats!

ELV web likes this.
  6. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 7, 2015

Thanks DB, I always appreciate your learned pro-tips and sage advice. I've noticed you picking up your game lately.

That Smiths is a true collector's collector item and yours is pretty close to mint and might even be... How'd you jailbreak that thing out of Engerland? Do tell.

Getting almost time for a Zoolander walk off between you and...?

*edit

One more question, por favor. A prolific ebay'er from PA has a close to mint dial for this watch in beautiful black which he would probably take 25 bucks for. I'm not looking to be Dr. Frankenstein but I thought it might cool... (U know the rest)

Here's the dial in black

image.jpg
    Edited Mar 7, 2015
    ELV web likes this.
  7. ELV web Mar 7, 2015

Thank you to both you and that other person :). This watch was actually featured in
    Hodinkee

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/whats-...at-watches-from-affordable-chronographs-on-up

and frankly I was quite surprised no one went for it, maybe because mr. Wind caution it is in Armenia. However when i checked the seller out on the bay, it seems he is from Spain. So a bit confusing there but you know you do take your chances on ebay. I did ask forum members in the UG thread and it checked out well (thanks to woodwrk especially).

Anyhow most seem to think it is not a good sample in terms of dial not being minty condition, but to me it doesn't really matter as I love the vintage look and it is all original :)

Edited Mar 7, 2015
  8. xcentric Mar 7, 2015

FWIW, I agree with you - looks beautiful, and as if it has lots of stories to tell.

9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 7, 2015

Oh, cool - I feel *almost* famous! I very rarely recommend watches but I know Gallet and I posted this watch in a thread here http://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/page-1079#post-240600

Then, when I got to bottom of Eric Wind's "what's selling where" , I see that he gave a gracious shout-out to Omega Forums!

I feel flattered , for serious. (Think I could get a "job" @ hodinkee?). Dare to dream.

Okay, enough patting myself on the back and onto your *score*. Obviously you're not dealing with a perfect watch because of the crazing on pusher side of the dial but that's almost normal for that complication for that timeframe. Can you tell us the serial number when you have it or, if you already do?

So , the not perfect dial discounts the watch an expected amount but you received a massive "Armenia" discount ( no offense to my hairy cousins - my best friend in HS, Aram, could literally crush a grown mans skull in his bare hands. We were Co-Captains of the best HS football team in Downstate NY that year. His brains and brawn earned him a full 4 year ride with Notre Dame. I went to ASU on a scholarship (no redshirt) and walked off after my first year and came crying back home to NYC. Men from Texas and Oklahoma are the main places the Sun Devils recruited from and these guys are football freaks of nature.

But, I did get to play 4 downs in the Rose Bowl before I finished and that's a pretty exclusive club! #humblebrag

What a digression...lol.

Back to you: My watchmaker is a stud. What's that got to do with you, you say?

Well, he recently picked off your same watch (I guarantee some of the eagle eyes here saw this one !!! Lmao ) from a Midwestern guy who seems to have a good pipeline. He bought it 8 minutes or something after it went up. I think the guy is a coin dealer. Or, stamps? Not sure, no matter.

I won't say what he paid but he's been working on the watch for about 3 months now and he's already received a serious offer for between 6,000 and ...20,000. sorry, I can't really disclose (I loathe that weasel word...sorry).

I can't write the number because I won't betray his trust. He doesn't read this board and I should be respectful. I'll attach a picture of the watch from the sellers pic just to see what you're up against. I have a feeling you're gonna be OK on this one. :)

The watch you have needs a little love but if I were you it would be the last thing I would sell. I have about .0001% the knowledge for UG complications as Byron or LouS ("the legend!") but my watchmaker can keep up with these guys and he thinks your complication has the makings of a must have collectible. You know, one of those things where bidders go full war at Sotheby's. I'll stop ranting now...

I'll show you a pic when he's done with it.
    Like I wrote earlier: he's a fcuking wizard.

image.jpg
    TNTwatch, ELV web and travisrock like this.
  10. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 7, 2015

This weekend I am at the annual Tribute to Bix in Racine, WI, joining my fellow "mouldy fygges" for live '20s-30s style jazz, lectures, record spinning, and78 rpm record sales. Here is some of my booty so far.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Alpha and citizenrich like this.
  11. nima0071 Mar 7, 2015

12. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 7, 2015

Good purchase, especially if you were able to negotiate a little discount. Looking forward to your pics.

ELV web and citizenrich like this.
  13. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Mar 7, 2015

Sellers pics.
    Case in good order, case back with KonTiki raft in very nice shape. Bezel inlay OK for its age. Crystal might become a problem...
    Looks like hands at some point got some extra lume. Dial is very uncommon - as this configuration of indexes normally shows up on orange colour dials.
    Looking forward to get to see it live for a more precise assessment - as I really took a chance when bidding on it. Seller did not have a clue of what he had put up for auction - and could not answer much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 7, 2015

Nice picks so far. And, Vinyl is final.

15. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 7, 2015

I would totally go for that black dial. When are you ever going to see another one? And black will look great in that case. [emoji7]. Frank who? Who cares!

16. micampe Mar 7, 2015

@citizenrich you forgot to close a paren and I'm still here holding my breath. you title should be digression mixer!

17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 7, 2015

its has been 6 weeks since I have purchased a watch. :confused:

But I did just buy three straps...black, dk brown and brown. :)

upload_2015-3-7_8-41-55.png

citizenrich likes this.
  18. Hijak Mar 7, 2015

Very nice!::love::

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 7, 2015

Yes, vintage audio is also of interest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 7, 2015

INCOMING!!! Seamaster 14759-SC-61, serial 19085740, caliber 600..... plain clean stainless with a silver face..... pretty.......no camera/phone along when I made the buy...... the nice man is going to give a good clean and grease for me......I'll pick it up next week and post it then!

Is the -61 in the reference the year the case was made?