Aristocracy of Taste v/s Democracy of Acquisitions (Reflections)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this debate on good taste/art and the like, but I must point out that we are 8 pages in and no one has directly addressed OP's question (unless I have missed it). Don't shoot me ladies and gents, just want to hear your opinions on that!

😀

don’t you come in here, at the end of an argument, and try to talk sense......😝

My apology gentlemen. Maybe I failed to see lots of things.

I was just joking – no worries.

I took a long weekend by the beach, & the arguement is over.
I guess I will have to keep the sudden enlightenment I experienced while watching a sunrise through mist to myself.😀

To actually continue the discussion, @Tony C. , I doubt any majority will sway me on this topic. If the ratio is One million to one, taste is not a popularity contest.
In the most examined popularity contests of all, national elections, where would we be without regular renewal? Choices, tastes, popularities just don't last forever.

To use the sunrise/sunset example, these are examples of fleeting changes in our environment. I find them beautiful sometimes.
But suppose we live in a time of high volcanic activity, experiencing a red sky for years on end. When that period ended, would we still find sunsets beautiful? Might we not find the blues & greens of midday more startling & praiseworthy?

Well, @michael22 , I don't find that argument to be compelling. You are suggesting, among other things, and to revert to one of my previous examples, that the preference of a canvas with used cigarette butts glued indiscriminately to it, over a Rembrandt master work, would, because humans are not limited in their preferences, and preferences can change over time, somehow be an expression of equally good taste as a preference for the latter. I rather doubt that any but a tiny percentage of people might agree that because it is theoretically possible that such a change in preference could take place on a mass scale, the two works are therefore somehow indistinguishable in terms of their intrinsic beauty, emotional power, or the level of skill required to create them.

If your point, however, is that every individual is entitled to their preferences, and that they are all in some sense equal, I might agree. But when one places value judgements on them, the exercise obviously becomes more complicated., and not just on terms of art or music.

I do agree that taste is not a popularity contest, and never suggested that it is. I even made the distinction between mature and immature markets (or contexts), and pointed out that artists whose work has been held in extremely high regard for centuries have more solid standing than those whose work is relatively young.

Along the same lines, elections are a poor analogy, as they are clearly transitory popularity contests, held and decided within a very narrow spectrum of time. There is also tremendous room for disinformation and money to influence elections, so the results are often not based on either good information or careful analyses. I would say that television, which is also a form of popularity contest, would be a better example to support your view, and there is an interesting tangent to the discussion that could be tied to TV, that being how some art works are created in a relatively independent manner, while others are clearly reflections of, or responses to broad, popular culture.

Your last point is a bit of a straw man, albeit an interesting one. I never suggested that being able to discern good taste included any sort of detailed ranking of taste. That would, in my view, be taking things much too far.

Finally, and again, this is at least partly a semantic problem. Take my original example of the Vogels. One could argue, it seems to me, that either something very unusual and special underpinned their choices of art, that it was largely a matter of luck, or that there was no significance whatsoever. But even those who agree with me that it was the former might reasonably object to my use of the word "taste" in the context of the discussion. There may be a better word to express what I was attempting to say.
Edited:

Well, @michael22 , I don't find that argument to be compelling. You are suggesting, among other things, and to revert to one of my previous examples, that the preference of a canvas with used cigarette butts glued indiscriminately to it, over a Rembrandt master work, would, because humans are not limited in their preferences, and preferences can change over time, somehow be an expression of equally good taste as a preference for the latter. I rather doubt that any but a tiny percentage of people might agree that because it is theoretically possible that such a change in preference could take place on a mass scale, the two works are therefore somehow indistinguishable in terms of their intrinsic beauty, emotional power, or the level of skill required to create them.

This argument has bothered me since you first used it. While you initially call it about taste, you then divert from that to include things like skill and "emotional power", which I assume is the impact a work of art makes on the audience or society at large.

You put a well known master up against an unnamed work with no background on the intent of the work, what statement it is making, etc. This is why I don't accept this type of argument or comparative examples, because one is loaded with a history of reverence, and the other has nothing behind it - this is intentional I know, but it makes the argument somewhat spurious to me.

A better comparison would be another artist from the era who can paint with equal skill, takes on similar subjects, yet doesn't have the fame. To me, this is where your arguments for "greatness" or whatever the term of the day is, fall apart. I don't think anyone can deny that there are very talented artists out there who's works are not held in such reverence, but there's no good reason for it when you look at the works on their face value. As you said earlier in the thread, being in the right place at the right time, has a lot to do with this...luck unless you are believer in fate.

But to me here is the cigarette butt work in a real life example...

Voice_of_Fire.jpg

Barnett Newman's "Voice of Fire" at the National Gallery of Canada. Painted in 1967, purchased in 1990 for $1.8 million, it is now valued at over $40 million. It is acrylic on canvas, is 213 inches X 94 inches, and consists of 3 vertical stripes.

"intrinsic beauty, emotional power, or the level of skill"

Okay intrinsic beauty? Not really...I mean I like stripes but are these the best stripes I've ever seen? Better than pink and green together, but is there real beauty there?

Level of skill? Roller and two cans of paint...

Emotional power? Mostly puzzlement and then outrage that money was spent (taxpayer money) for this work. Oh and the controversy that ensued when they found out it was originally hung upside down by the gallery, although I personally cut them some clack on this one - unless there is a "this side up" instruction on the back, I can see how this mistake was made.

I've seen this work in person at the gallery, so for those who insist that this isn't about the flavour of the day and all that, just one question:

What makes this worth $40 million in terms of it's "intrinsic value"?

I understand the market believes it's worth this much, but that is not intrinsic value, but market value...

You use the terms intrinsic value and intrinsic beauty. The piece you site has neither. But then if I agree with you, and others do, we have consensus.

You use the terms intrinsic value and intrinsic beauty. The piece you site has neither. But then if I agree with you, and others do, we have consensus.

I've never argued that there wasn't or couldn't be a consensus, only what having a consensus actually means...

"The piece you site has neither."

To you...

I've never argued that there wasn't or couldn't be a consensus, only what having a consensus actually means...

"The piece you site has neither."

To you...

...and you.

...and you.

Yes, as we have all noted, people can like or dislike a piece of art individually. But somehow this is valid on an individual basis, but when it's a "collective" like it somehow magically imparts some "intrinsic value and beauty" to a work. This is where the issue lies for me.

I understand the market believes it's worth this much, but that is not intrinsic value, but market value...
And back to watches- this is a question I ask regularly when I see watches that were not particularly "special" (aka mass produced like Rolex) fetch insane money. There has apparently been a consensus that getting into a sub starts at $6k, and under $12k for a 1675 is a good deal, this is just the way it is now. But there is no reason other than perceived market value that they should fetch that much. These are not special watches-quite the contrary.

While you initially call it about taste, you then divert from that to include things like skill and "emotional power", which I assume is the impact a work of art makes on the audience or society at large.

This is false, Al. I used "taste" to characterize what the Vogels displayed. Skill, and emotional power are two of the things that the artists themselves have, and can use to impact the viewers. "Importance" is another related word that can be used in a different way to refer to the work of some artists.

The word "taste" was used to describe the extraordinary eyes of the Vogels. I even qualified it at one point to make clear that I wasn't arguing that someone with good, or extraordinary taste necessarily displays it outside of a narrow interest. That is why it gets complicated, and was probably not the ideal word to use in the case of the Vogels. Perhaps I should have simply said that they had extraordinary eyes for art, and particularly what was being produced during an especially fertile period in NYC.

The Barnett Newman example is a straw man. I never argued that all artists whose work is highly valued in terms of dollars are necessarily great, or important. Though undoubtedly an interesting figure, I don't consider him an artist that is comparable to the great artists whose work has been valued highly by viewers, critics, and scholars alike, over far greater periods of time.

When I speak of "intrinsic" value I am never referring to monetary value.

You put a well known master up against an unnamed work with no background on the intent of the work, what statement it is making, etc. This is why I don't accept this type of argument or comparative examples, because one is loaded with a history of reverence, and the other has nothing behind it - this is intentional I know, but it makes the argument somewhat spurious to me.

Well known masters reached their status over long periods of time. Some of them struggled throughout their professional lives and were only recognized widely post mortem. So to argue that they have an unfair advantage when juxtaposed with contemporary, or less well known older artists, is not really accurate, although I understand your point.

Yes, I have used extreme examples because if you aren't able to accept that there are profound intrinsic differences in beauty and power between the two, then the argument is essentially stopped in its tracks. But if, as I would suggest would be the case with most people, you would agree that the cigarette butts work is easily understood as being deeply inferior to a Rembrandt, then we can continue from there.

This is false, Al. I used "taste" to characterize what the Vogels displayed.

Not in the post I quoted above, Tony. The Vogel's aren't mentioned there. You used "preferences" as an indication of "taste" between the two extreme examples you put forward,

The Barnett Newman example is a straw man. I never argued that all artists whose work is highly valued in terms of dollars are necessarily great, or important. Though undoubtedly an interesting figure, I don't consider him an artist that is comparable to the great artists whose work has been valued highly by viewers, critics, and scholars alike, over far greater periods of time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_Newman

"He is seen as one of the major figures in abstract expressionism and one of the foremost of the color field painters."

So although he may not be to your personal "taste" it seems he is considered to be quite "important" by "viewers, critics, and scholars".

Of course he can't be considered to be great over the same time as someone who may have been born and died hundreds of years before. So the time over which someone is revered can't be used as "proof of greatness" in my view, because if that "greatness" was truly "intrinsic" to the work, it would not need time as proof.

When I speak of "intrinsic" value I am never referring to monetary value.

Then what are speaking of specifically?

Well known masters reached their status over long periods of time. Some of them struggled throughout their professional lives and were only recognized widely post mortem. So to argue that they have an unfair advantage when juxtaposed with contemporary, or less well known older artists, is not really accurate, although I understand your point.

Perfect - the fact that these people were only considered masters after they died, should tell you something. Why were they not recognized immediately for their talents? If these works were so obviously master works, why isn't this recognized straight away?

But yes, I have used extreme examples because if you aren't able to accept that there are profound intrinsic differences in beauty and power between the two, then the argument is essentially stopped in its tracks. But if, as I would suggest would be the case with most people, you would agree that the cigarette butts work is easily understood as being deeply inferior to a Rembrandt, then we can continue from there.

Until you define what "profound intrinsic differences in beauty and power" means, I agree coming to any real understanding is going to be difficult. You appear to agree that these things are personal, but then say they are really not...

Cheers, Al

Not in the post I quoted above, Tony. The Vogel's aren't mentioned there. You used "preferences" as an indication of "taste" between the two extreme examples you put forward,

It's exactly the same thing, Al. The Vogels displayed remarkable taste, and any viewer choosing between my two examples would also be displaying their own tastes. I never used the word "taste" in reference to artists – only to viewers/listeners.

Of course he can't be considered to be great over the same time as someone who may have been born and died hundreds of years before. So the time over which someone is revered can't be used as "proof of greatness" in my view, because if that "greatness" was truly "intrinsic" to the work, it would not need time as proof.

You're just being argumentative here, Al. And below (another straw man), as I never claimed that "great" works were necessarily instantly recognizable.

Perfect - the fact that these people were only considered masters after they died, should tell you something. Why were they not recognized immediately for their talents? If these works were so obviously master works, why isn't this recognized straight away?

It's exactly the same thing, Al. The Vogels displayed remarkable taste, and any viewer choosing between my two examples would also be displaying their own tastes. I never used the word "taste" in reference to artists – only to viewers/listeners.

So how was I "false" then? I never said the taste was about the artist, so I don't know why you are trying to say I did.

You're just being argumentative here, Al. And below (another straw man), as I never claimed that "great" works were necessarily instantly recognizable.

Well, this is a argument (discussion) Tony, so if you are expecting me to agree with everything you say, it's clear that's not going to happen.

You can continue to use the "straw man" label if you choose, but I clearly never indicated that YOU said that greatness was instantly recognizable.

To clarify, I'm asking you why, if it is truly "intrinsic" to the work, why isn't it instantly recognizable.

If you don't want to, or can't answer this that's fine, but please let's not call something a straw man when it isn't.

This argument has bothered me since you first used it. While you initially call it about taste, you then divert from that to include things like skill and "emotional power", which I assume is the impact a work of art makes on the audience or society at large.

A better comparison would be another artist from the era who can paint with equal skill, takes on similar subjects, yet doesn't have the fame. To me, this is where your arguments for "greatness" or whatever the term of the day is, fall apart. I don't think anyone can deny that there are very talented artists out there who's works are not held in such reverence, but there's no good reason for it when you look at the works on their face value. As you said earlier in the thread, being in the right place at the right time, has a lot to do with this...luck unless you are believer in fate.

But to me here is the cigarette butt work in a real life example...

Voice_of_Fire.jpg

Barnett Newman's "Voice of Fire" at the National Gallery of Canada. Painted in 1967, purchased in 1990 for $1.8 million, it is now valued at over $40 million. It is acrylic on canvas, is 213 inches X 94 inches, and consists of 3 vertical stripes.

"intrinsic beauty, emotional power, or the level of skill"

Okay intrinsic beauty? Not really...I mean I like stripes but are these the best stripes I've ever seen? Better than pink and green together, but is there real beauty there?

Level of skill? Roller and two cans of paint...

Emotional power? Mostly puzzlement and then outrage that money was spent (taxpayer money) for this work. Oh and the controversy that ensued when they found out it was originally hung upside down by the gallery, although I personally cut them some clack on this one - unless there is a "this side up" instruction on the back, I can see how this mistake was made.

I've seen this work in person at the gallery, so for those who insist that this isn't about the flavour of the day and all that, just one question:

For the record, I've also seen this in the National Art Gallery, hung right beside some other "pieces" that are even more head scratching....

Taste is a miserably overused word.

At some point, when words take on multiple definitions, they become useless.

So how was I "false" then? I never said the taste was about the artist, so I don't know why you are trying to say I did.

You said this, Al:

While you initially call it about taste, you then divert from that to include things like skill and "emotional power"

It can't have been a "diversion" given that one relates to those who perceive the art, and the others to the artists and artworks themselves. I have attempted to refine terms, or use some additional ones, in order to make my views more clear, but the word "taste" was always applied to the viewer, so the others, used in reference to the artist and/or works, are in a different vein entirely.

If you mean that my descriptions of art and its impact on viewers have included various terms, yes, that's true. But a "diversion"? That makes no sense, as the terms that I have used are all consistent in the context of their references.

You can continue to use the "straw man" label if you choose, but I clearly never indicated that YOU said that greatness was instantly recognizable.

Perhaps you didn't clearly indicate it, but when you say this (bold emphasis mine):

"If these works were so obviously master works, why isn't this recognized straight away?"

you are implying that I somehow asserted that they were, since their inception, "obviously master works". And I didn't.

But to answer your question, it may well be that certain works were recognized as such by a certain percentage of viewers, but also that some works require time in order for them to be fully appreciated. This happens in other areas as well, including philosophy and mathematics. Not all "great" or "important" treatises and theorems were immediately considered to be so.