Forums Latest Members

Are vintage Tissot watches collectable?

1. Yo32Leigh Jan 12, 2022

I've been offered the following watch for next to no money in writing condition. It obviously needs some tlc and a new crystal but is it worth the work?

Unfortunately I can't get any other pics but hoping sometime in the know might be able to advise.

Thanks

Screenshot_20220112-192207.png
    Vitezi and YYTIN like this.
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 12, 2022

It needs a new crystal, but I bet it is a charming piece. I’d also buy the bracelet for next to no money :thumbsup:

Waltesefalcon, Vitezi, LesXL and 2 others like this.
  3. LesXL Jan 12, 2022

Not sure what you mean by collectable? Will you be making millions with this watch and retire, surely not. That said, Tissot as a watch brand has certainly lovely pieces with great attractiveness.

To your "almost free" watch, it does look lovely. As stated above, a new crystal, a nice leather bracelet and a service and you got a nice watch in your wrist to enjoy.

Aside from that, it is on the smaller size it seems, probably between 30-33mm based on the size of the crown.

Vitezi likes this.
  4. Vitezi Jan 12, 2022

You appear to have mid/late 1940s Antimagnetique in what looks like a screwback steel case, likely powered by Tissot's venerable in-house caliber 27. In various forms that robust movement was used for most of Tissot's manual wind watches for over a decade, and went to war inside the Lemania ATP and WWW watches. After a service you'll have a reliable daily-wear timepiece.

Check out this thread to see what else the brand had to offer from that era:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/do-you-like-tissot-many-pics.58233/

5. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jan 12, 2022

If you get it be very careful with replacing the crystal as suspect that dial has a good amount of radium and probably the reason the crystal has turned so discoloured.

6. Yo32Leigh Jan 12, 2022

Thanks for your valuable input.

I personally think it's an attractive watch. When I say collectable I guess I'm meaning desirable. The seller is only asking £80 which I don't see as a lot of money, however I don't want to commit to massive expense if that is what it would take to make it a wearable classic.

7. Yo32Leigh Jan 12, 2022

I take it from comments about the bracelet that this would not be the original item?

8. tritto Jan 12, 2022

£80 is probably fair value for this. However,once you factor in a service and crystal you will probably have over capitalised. If you like the watch then go for it, but if you're looking to make money out of it then I would pass.

9. Dan S Jan 12, 2022

If you like the watch and plan to keep it, it's worth the price of a service, just based on the fact that it's appealing and good quality. However, even after being serviced, most likely the watch will not be worth the cost of the service. That's why your question is difficult to answer.

10. gbesq Jan 12, 2022

To make money? No. To enjoy some beautiful, well made vintage pieces from a very reputable brand? Oh hell yes.

DaveK and mzzleather like this.
  11. Vitezi Jan 12, 2022

That watch would likely have come on a leather strap. Period bracelets, such a Bonklip, would also be appropriate.

12. Yo32Leigh Jan 15, 2022

Well we finally agreed on £60 which I think is no money for this watch. I'll take some better pics once it's arrived and had some much needed tlc :thumbsup:

Vitezi, LesXL and YYTIN like this.
  13. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 15, 2022

Yo32Leigh likes this.