Forums Latest Members
  1. Ravineman Mar 10, 2021

Perhaps the OP will be more far comfortable buying a vintage Omega that show its age.

The private sales area on OF is probably not the place for you to shop !

wagudc, seekingseaquest and Syrte like this.
  2. Socks Mar 10, 2021

I can sort of see where our OP's line of concern is from, although a less direct route of critique might have been a more advisable. There is a saying on here. 'Buy the Seller'. It's a fairly solid listing with plenty of information, background and assurances. You can check sellers history, previous items/postings. Ask for references etc. I would say far safer than Ebay etc.

3. gbesq Mar 10, 2021

Dan may be a curmudgeon, but he’s OUR curmudgeon. :)

Edited Mar 10, 2021
    vintage hab, wagudc, airansun and 2 others like this.
  4. ngintime Mar 10, 2021

I can't prove anything about my motives, but I strongly disagree with "unjustified claims". Maybe *you*, having clearly spent a lot of time with this subject matter, are now used to assuming that pristine vintage Omegas that show up here are authentic. But that's hardly a reasonable starting premise. You're looking at this from your own point of view.

5. Redwes25 Mar 10, 2021

Yeah you are probably right about the troll point.

6. Dan S Mar 10, 2021

So you think it's a good idea for newbies who have no idea how to distinguish original from repainted dials to make reckless public accusations about watches for sale?

[Look at me now, doing exactly what I advised against. ::facepalm2::]

7. ngintime Mar 10, 2021

I picked what I thought might be a representative example, but I really just wanted to ask about the trustworthiness of the listings. Clearly I got an answer...

And yes, in hindsight, indicting a specific listing/seller was a mistake. Mea culpa.

wagudc likes this.
  8. jumpingsecond Mar 10, 2021

OP- there's one fundamental rule no matter where you purchase your watch- caveat emptor.
    OF is probably the best place not to get screwed but screwing can still happen. Learn how to fish 1st and enjoy the ride.

BenBagbag and DaveK like this.
  9. Observer I know nothing! Mar 10, 2021

I’m a lazy shopper, and that’s why I prefer to buy watches here. Nobody that’s anybody on OF is going to throw their reputation away just to get a few bucks out of an unsophisticated buyer.

Just use the search function to look them up in the feedback section and stop saying silly things. The saying goes ‘buy the seller’. You have stumbled upon the best place to do that.

wagudc likes this.
  10. BenBagbag Mar 10, 2021

Why are people questioning the OP's motives? Goosfraba people. He's new - if he stays and feels welcomed he'll learn, if not he'll disappear. And wouldn't we rather have an open forum than have people avoid joining and/or posting because they fear being personally attacked? Just a thought. Onwards...

As others said not the best tone to start off with but okay - Welcome. It's in the "watches for sale" section which is where "dealers" post. It is not, in my opinion, the bread and butter of sales here on OF. I personally don't keep my eyes on the Watches for Sale section except when @kyle L posts his wares there.

The "private sales" forum is a better starting place and claims of originality that are uncalled for will almost always be pointed out. But still - "caveat emptor." Read people's feedback which is supposed to be attached to every listing and you'll get a sense who the seller is. Read their posts and contributions. Wade the water here for a while and you'll get the hang of it.

Socks, smorrisonmd, wagudc and 7 others like this.
  11. Shabbaz Mar 10, 2021

Edited Mar 10, 2021
  12. BenBagbag Mar 10, 2021

Edited Mar 11, 2021
  13. Shabbaz Mar 10, 2021

Edited Mar 10, 2021
    Zapatta likes this.
  14. BenBagbag Mar 10, 2021

Yeah a separate thread or a PM first may have been warranted. It may give the illusion that if you doubt it more people can doubt it and scare away all buyers. Now if you are positive that the dial is refinished and you are sure the majority of people would back you up on it that's one thing and maybe warrants a post directly on the listing. But in this case (and as I suspect you'll hear more from other members - it is original) starting another thread (maybe even first a PM) where it could be more of a discussion is more warranted.

jumpingsecond likes this.
  15. Shabbaz Mar 10, 2021

You're right. I'm going to remove my posts

16. Shabbaz Mar 10, 2021

I can not remove my posts. Mods, can you remove them? Sorry for the extra work.

17. watchcollect Mar 10, 2021

I would suggest you reach out directly to a mod about it. Here may not be the quickest response if at all. Or you can click the option button on your post and reply with an explanation, it goes directly to a mod. Looks like you pretty much sabotaged the sales post, a PM would have been the most respectable thing to have done.

18. Shabbaz Mar 10, 2021

True

watchcollect likes this.
  19. Shabbaz Mar 10, 2021

I've reported it and asked the mods to remove my posts from the sales ad

watchcollect likes this.
  20. Franco Mar 10, 2021

I find the imbalance between the conditions of the movement and of the dial to be the first thing to check. Provided that the movement belong to that very watch, any event spoiling the dial to the extent to have it repainted, would have also badly oxydised and ruined the mvement.

in this case, no imbalance.

Edited Mar 10, 2021